+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tinhorn
    Member #

250-3000 twist rate

I'm getting ready to load for my new to me Savage 99 in 250-3000. Checking several of my reloading manuals, they state that the round was initially brought out with a one in fourteen inch twist and used an 87 gr bullet, then changed to a 1 in ten twist when they brought out the 100 grain load. The Nosler manual flat out says none of its 25 caliber bullets will stabilize in the 250-3000, which didn't make me happy as I wanted to work up a deer load with the 100 gr Ballistic Tip. The Hornady manual says that all of their bullets except the 120 grain will stabilize in the one in fourteen barrel.

My rifle is a takedown model and was made in 1926 as far as I can tell, and the rifling looks great. When I checked the twist rate I found it was one in twelve inches! Has anyone worked with the 250 with this twist? Will is stabilize the 100 grain bullets? I'm not really interested in anything heavier. How about the lighter bullets; 70 and 87 grains? Can I expect decent accuracy? This is my first time loading anything in quarter bore. I’m hoping this rifle turns out easy to load for.

mike

Wrangler
    Member #
    Hi MikeJ
    I owned a 99TD 250/3000 circa 1927 for over 50 years ( swaped with my son for a 1895GS ). It shot 87 gr. MOA but would not stabilize anything above that weight.

Bill

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Try this site: 24HourCampfire.com Then go to the ...Savage Collector forum. That is the most complete forum on 99`s.

Everything you ever wanted to know..............
    The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience.

RGR
    Distinguished Master
    Fallon NV, Home base of TOPGUN, and other NAVY bad guy headaches.
    Member #
    Twist rate on any rifle is general. By simply examining the factory twist on various makers all differing a bit with the same chamber should be proof.

the 14 twist is in theory great for light bullets like the 87 grain, but too imagine that a 100 grain won't hit one minute of Bambi is a little silly too.

The proof is in the shooting. Other factors can cause funky accuracy much greater than a minor difference in twist rate. On the other hand, No Bambi I have every seen or heard about will walk away from a good hit with an 87 from a 250 Savage either.
    The USA in 2014 ...Where we keep the deathly ill elderly alive on a machine, even if they want too pass, and yet abort a million unborn babies a year, that have no vote in the matter.

Its interesting that the media calls conservative protestors, "militia" and "domestic terrorists" while world wide and in the states liberal protestors are always called "students".

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I've had the rifle out to the range a couple of times now. My first handloads were with Nosler 100 gr Balistic tips. I had starting loads and several a bit warmer each time. The first couple of loads (5 or 6 each) I couldn't even get onto a big piece of butcher paper at 100 yards. I moved up to 75 yards and finally got onto paper. It was pretty disappointing. The target had prefect silhouettes of the bullets going sideways. At that point I packed up for the day, took the rest of the rounds home and pulled the bullets.

I went back again with some loads with 87 gr Hornady varmint bullets. Again I had loaded just a few of each load starting with the lowest load listed and progressing up to a grain short of the top load. I had a few issues with elevation, but quickly got on paper. These bullets were a whole different story. The lightest loads were nothing to brag about, but the holes in the paper were round! They started with about five inch groups with each hotter load getting tighter and tighter. I only had three of the hottest ones loaded and had a "user" error with the first shot. I knew before I even looked through the spotting scope that I had pulled it badly. The last two rounds I really bared down and took my time. First shot was just a bit above the center of the one inch bull. The next shot was less than a half inch directly above it! This was with the standard v-notch open sights at 100 yards and my 60 year old eyes. Needles to say I'm really happy with this rifle and decided it would be worthwhile to put a better sight on it. I picked up an old Marbles tang sight and installed it. Haven't shot with it yet. Might be interesting getting windage correct as my front sight is pinned. I should be able to shim the tang sight if necessary.

I've loaded up a bunch of the hotter rounds and am just waiting until I can get a decent day to go back to the range with the chrony and tools, shims, etc and get the 99 dialed in. Next project: find a 85 - 90 grain bullet designed for deer and see how that goes.

mike

RGR
    Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Sounds like you are gaining on it. Most guys forget about OAL of the loaded round. Often times, the twist or velocity gets blamed, when the answer may be, with the lighter bullets, is to lengthen them out as much as possible, to get them close to the same length as the longer heavier bullets.

Any "jump" from the end of the chamber, to the throat, generally is bad news for accuracy. Remember the throat has to be long enough to allow the heaviest bullet generally loaded, I dont recall if the 250 ever offered 120s in factory but for sure in the 100 weight.

Of course then you run into the lack of "grip" on the bullet, in trying to make it closer to the leade/throat. Kind of a vicious circle.

One of the worst mistakes a guy can make, in sighting in a new rifle, is putting the target too far out. I have worn out shoes walking out too 100, trying to determine where I was hitting. Yes, I have a spotting scope, but with mirage, bad light etc. and frustration, holes are easily missed. I finally wised up, and begin at 25 yards on a BIG target. Put the group point of aim at 25, then at 100 you will still be on paper, with about 90percent of modern rounds.

And the same thing, if a gun wont group around an inch or so at 50, it aint gonna get any better at 100. So little reason to waste time trying to work loads at 100, until you get some promising groups at 50. Get the groups, THEN work the elevation and windage at 100.

BTW, what era 250 do you have? One of the oldies? If so, thats one of the most desirable chambers in those 99s.
    The USA in 2014 ...Where we keep the deathly ill elderly alive on a machine, even if they want too pass, and yet abort a million unborn babies a year, that have no vote in the matter.

Its interesting that the media calls conservative protestors, "militia" and "domestic terrorists" while world wide and in the states liberal protestors are always called "students".

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I have been shooting an 250 sav for years, just my is an Remington 700, I shoot 87 gr. bullet. And old friend of my dad as a Savage 99, he wanted a better deer round than he was shooting, (factory Remington)....... loaded a few in 87 gr , with the powder charge alittle lower than mine....... He loves them,,,,,, Nothing wrong with 87 gr for deer.....

Tinhorn
    Member #
    RGR

I don't think bullet jump is my problem. I loaded the 100 grain and 87 grain bullets to the same overall length. The longer 100 gr bullets just don't stabilize in my (supposedly) 1-14" twist. My 99 is a take down made in 1926. This is my first Savage lever gun, but probably won't be my last. I'm really having fun with it. The design and workmanship are outstanding.

Ac man

I've no doubt 87 grain 25 cal bullets will take deer. I just want to find one that is designed for that, not for chucks or prairie dogs. What 87 grain bullets do you use?

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Speer Hot Cor #1241....... 87 gr.... Have shot a few deer at 200 yds, behind shoulders.... all pass thru's.............. Have shot them also thru the shoulders (both) at 100 yds... pass thru's also.........The Hot Cor is a bonded bullet........................... WHICH HORNADY needs to do with the FTX bullet..... Opps! wrong place to rant..... Sorry......Alvan

RGR
    Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Its easy to forget that they only way they made the claimed 3000 FPS, was with the 87 bullet. With a 100, its more like a 250/2700 or something similar. Take down lever guns have never been one hole match rifles in the first place, at some point, if a guy gets a "one minute of Bambi" load, thats about the end of the trail. Of course, some will do better and thats part of the fun finding out.

That is one of the "neat" ones, especially in a take down. I would imagine guys are standing in line trying to buy it. I would be if you lived closer. There was a 95 version in Scheels in Sparks there a couple months back, TD but in 22 Sav HP. It was about a 95% gun, the only issue was some jack wad had scratched their SSN on the receiver flats, but I think some judicious work might remove it, and with a little properly applied cold blue, make the gun look a lot more collectable. The numbers only took up about an inch or so, and were very light. Even had a rec tang sight. My buddy was real tempted.

That 700 in the 250, was a short run version if memory serves. I kind of recall when they came out, they were real hard to get for a bit. A good one as well.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links