Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Accuracy between the 92 in 20' round and 24 octagon ?

19K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Bobbert 
#1 ·
Maybe someone can give me a comparison on the accuracy between
the Rossi 92 with a 20" round barrel and the 24" octagon barrel in the .357 mag.
Thanks

#2 ·
Just my guess but I think the difference in the barrel length will only affect your ability to be accurate with a longer sight radius on the 24"er. The difference provided by a longer barrel is pretty insignificant if any compared to other factors like how well the rifling is machined, load selection to suit the individual rifle, and mostly your skill. I wouldn't bet my money on which would be more accurate of two different production rifles with 4" of barrel length difference. There is almost always a velocity difference in barrel lengths depending on the ammunition of anywhere from 25 to 50 fps or more. That might give you a bit flatter trajectory from one or the other but not much.

If barrel length were a reliable factor in accuracy you would see the modern smokeless powder high end target rifles with 30" barrels. But remember, this information is worth what you paid for it. :biggrin:

#3 ·
That was my thoughts also.. But for me, I guess I hate to admit that I'm getting old, and can't
see like I once could. With my glasses, I can see the rear sight, but the front is fuzzy. Without them
I can see the front sights, but the rear is fuzzy ! Maybe I could just use one sight..or no sights..

#4 ·
You may want to try a peep sight. There are a few manufacturers who offer receiver peep sights for the Winchester clones like the Rossi. Side mounted units like Lyman or Williams, top mounted ones like the XS Sights, and a Skinner model that mounts into a safety delete plug. I believe those are sourced from Steves Guns. Peep sights are designed for the rear to be fuzzy anyway so you are most of the way there already!

If a peep doesn't work then a scope is your only choice. I'm not too versed on scope mounts for the top eject Winchester model 92's so someone else will have to help you with that. I have a Rossi 92 in 45Colt, all stainless, with a 16" barrel. I enjoy the nimble handling of the short barrel so the debate about barrel length was outside my selection criteria.

If I'm not being nosey, what was the reason you asked your original question? Are you considering a Rossi model and just trying to decide which one to buy?

Jeff

#5 ·
I've been looking for an early 1894 marlin, but seems like "panic" has taken over the market. A friend
has a rossi that has a very smooth action and is fun to shoot. It has the short octagon barrel but I don't
like the long forearm. The 24" barrel looks better to me..just my pick..I also shot the 16" in 357. Nice little
rifle but seemed a little short for me. Would be a great little truck gun though..

#6 ·
I got my Rossi in June 2010 from my bride of 30 years for an anniversary present. It was my choice, a Marlin 1894 or Rossi 92, either in 45 Colt to match my Taurus Gaucho. I found there was little supply of 1894's in that caliber. What was to be had were CB's at a high price and 20" or 24" barrel. I wanted something with a 16" barrel that I could use for protection when exercising our bird dogs hiking and crossing creeks, climbing ravines, clambering through brush, etc. Voila! A stainless Rossi was on it's way from Bud's Gun Shop.

My first real test for accuracy after getting a handload semi-dialed in was earlier this week. I replaced the rear sight with a semi-buckhorn ladder sight and the front with a brass Skinner blade. At 50 yards I got 2" groups with crude 19th century replica sights. It will surely shoot minute-of-coyote or minute-of-badguy out at 100 yards for mine or the dogs' protection out in the boonies.

The very first time I took it out in July 2010 after getting it the dogs and I were hiking and crossed a creek. You guessed it. I slipped on some slimey rocks and down went me and the rifle submerged. I poured water out of the barrel, examined two dents in the buttstock, and I was wet to my underwear. I came home, dried and oiled the action, rubbed some oil on the stock dents to restore the color, and all was well. If I had done that with a brand new blued $700 (at that time) Marlin with Marshield finish I probably would have taken my own life right there in the creek.

That Rossi 92 is my truck, creek bottom, bump in the night, plinking, camping, backyard-deer-sniping rifle. It's already been thru the wringer and my wife thinks it is the "prettiest" gun we own. :shot:

For me it was the difference in a Cadillac Escalade or a 1972 Chevy V8 4x4 pickup with brush guards, vinyl floor mats, and crank windows.

#7 ·
Experience wuth 24-inch octagonal barrel Rossi 92

I have had Rossi's Model 92 in .357 Magnum in both the 24-inch octagonal barrel and the 16-inch carbine barrel lengths. The 24-incher was amazingly accurate. The 16-incher was just plain fun -- light enough and compact enough there was almost no excuse not to have it when camping or walking in the woods. I found Hornady XTP bullets to be real nail drivers in my reloads. I got excellent performance with 2400 and H110. I had to sell the first Rossi 24-incher I had to purchase a classic Model 1905 Smith and Wesson .38 that had belonged to my father (my uncle had the gun -- I was only 13 when my dad passed away). However, I have just ordered another Rossi Model 92 24-inch octagonal barrel in .357 Magnum and am excited to, once again, have this classic looking and good shooting rifle to take to the range. i work for the U.S. Army and use the range on post. The young soldiers come out with their commercially purchased M-4s, often highly accessorized. When I pull out the Rossi, which mimics the Winchester 1892, it typically turns a few heads. Once they shoot it, they're hooked. Lever action rifles are part of America's DNA!

#9 ·
Accuracy in the 92 in 20' round and 24' octagon

My new Model 92 in .357 Magnum with 24' octagonal barrel is due in tomorrow. I believe the heavier barrel is more rigid and less likely to change its point of impact as the barrel warms during repeated firing. I also believe the heavier barrel adds stability. I once shot a 5-round group at 100 yards using a Skinner peep sight in place of the factory rear sight and 3 of the 5 rounds stayed within a 2' group. Although it would almost be sacrilege, I am tempted to have the barrel tapped and drilled for a scout scope mount. That wouldn't be hard to do as there are a number of scope mounts available for use with octagonal barrel black powder rifles. However, I may stay completely historically accurate and order a tang-mounted target adjustable peep sight. I'be gotten great accuracy with Hornady XTPs in both the 125 and 158 grain weights. Do you have any suggested load data for lead or cast bullets? Aside from keeping down my reloading costs, I think cast bullets would be more comparable to those used when these rifles were originally introduced. Sure, the .357 Magnum wasn't around in 1892, but to the degree possible I want to shoot the way the old-timers did. By the way, my Model 92 will be the shooting companion piece to a used Smith and Wesson Model 19 vintage 1977-81 with a 6'inch barrel and target sights. I picked up the Smith in mint condition recently and it is a pleasure to shoot and highly accurate.

Semper Paratus

Bobbert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.