+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 24 inch Octagon Rossi

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

24 inch Octagon Rossi

Hello Folks,

Just got done this weekend trying to break this baby in. Thought I'd give a little flavor of what i've been dealing with.

Ever since I turned down getting a 24 inch Marlin, I've been mad at myself. The 24 inch octagon of course was discontinued several years ago, and while they will still make the 20 inch, it is rather expensive, and not exactly what I wanted. I saw one of these Rossi's and thought i'd give it a go. They are heavier than the Marlin, especially in the front part of the barrel:

The bluing is perfect, and a very attractive gun. Nothing looks cheap on this except for perhaps the finish of the wood, which I'll address later if I want. I put a Marbles tang sight on it with the idea of target practice. I got it sighted in this weekend, and struggled a bit. Its obvious to me that I am not used to this and will have to get used to the gun as well. I shoot regular Marlins pretty darned well, and there is definitely something different (not bad) about the Rossi. The trigger feels really good, but holding the gun the way you have to (with a tang sight) makes the whole contraption a little less stable. The crescent butt plate is a sadistic shoulder chewer, and I have gotten a leather sleeve and place a pad in it for padding as well as a little help for length of pull. ( have very long arms). The muzzle is heavy, but does hold down when shooting. For some reason I was comparing this to my newer Winchester 94's (which there is no comparison). I'll never like the rebounding hammer no matter what they tell me. I got one isolated 50 yard group that was about 2.5 inches, so the gun is up to fine accuracy, but I still have to get used to it. I really like it, but need to probably get a bit more experience. I did go through 500 rounds yesterday.

It does handle the extra duty loads with apolmb, but without a little padding, it did cut into my shoulder several times. I did order Steve's Gunz rossi 92 video and learned quite a bit. Not that hard to take down, I did clean it very well, and it did have alot of debris like most guns when new. I doubt it really needs too much action work, as its very smooth, but will hold off and see how it goes. I've mostly shot Lyman 454190 and 9gr. of Unique along with several of my hunting loads, which all cycled easily. It is not rough on brass in the least, and I'd estimate that Brazetec probably took extra care with these, or at least this one. Its a beaut.

I do have a Marlin 45 in the standard 20 inch configuration round barrel from Cabelas, and it had some bolt issues. Once I addressed those, its an incredibly accurate gun with a simple peep sight and red front sight. This one I think is probably as accurate, but harder to hold up and aim. Time will tell. I do highly recommend it, as its almost an invfection. (Rossiitis)
    Last edited by Dr. A; 08-06-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    My 24" octagon Rossi built Navy Arms 1892 has that front heavy feel as well. From what I can figure, the barrel isn't tapered (not enough to tell visually anyway) and they use the same barrel blank for all calibers. In the case of the 357 Mag like mine, you end with a heavy barrel. But mine at least is a tack driver. And with the light recoil of the 357 Mag in a rifle, that curved buttplate doesn't make a difference. It's one of my favorite rifles.
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

Site Contributor Gun Wizard
    Member #

24 inch Octagon Rossi

Maybe you are aware of it, but there are some peep sights available for the Rossi's. If yours has the silly bolt mounted safety Steve offers a plug with a Skinner peep in it. Also, I think XS makes one that mounts at the rear of the receiver straddling the bolt.

I'm not real familiar with those offerings, just have seen photos. I have no interest in them since my Rossi 45LC is a 16" barrel version for short range shots. You might check it out if the tang sight continues to be uncomfortable.

Good luck on your journey.

Jeff
    Last edited by BFPGW; 08-07-2012 at 11:03 AM.
    "I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver

"Picnic-ing, Miss Dandridge? Where, in St Louis?" Captain Nathan Brittles/She Wore A Yellow Ribbon

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ma...on-sheets.html

Wrangler
    Member #
    Once the barrel is broken in. With bullet/powder experimentation expect to get sub 1" groups @ 50 yards. Happy shooting!

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I am shooting 225gr Hornady XTP's through mine without cutting down the brass. I am loading them over 23 gr of H110. I replaced both sights with a semi-buckhorn and large brass beaded front sight that I got from Steve's. He also recommended an eBay seller goes by the name of Cowtown Katy who is making me a leather padded buttstock cover to alleviate the torture to my shoulder. At 100 yards with my reloads I am shooting a 3.5 x3.5 inch group. At 50yards with whatever ammo I am shooting ( I dont shoot Cowboy Action Loads) mostly Freedom Ammo, 250 and 255 RNFP lead bullets or my handloads I am knocking the bullseye out of the targets. I have the 24" Octagonal SS barrel Rossi with the Brass Frame and Furniture. I also have the plug that Steve Sells and the Magazine follower coming. It is a little heavy on the front end but it also is a tackdriver for such a gun with Iron Sights. I am getting her ready for deer season. Up until a couple of months ago I didnt know that she could handle real rounds but now I know and I am shooting her way more often. Also with the original sights I could not get her sighted in. I really have an affection for the lever actions and these are good ones.020-1.jpg
    The More I Learn, the Less I Know!!

Team 30-30 #655
    Marlin 336 30-30
    Marlin/Glenfield Model 60
    Marlin 795

Member #
    Very nice, and good shooting. My wife is from Ashland! Welcome to MO!

This gun is great, but I am going to use my Marlin this year. Simply too easy to get to shoot, and quite a bit handier in a tree.

Member #
    Well,

After the 3rd outing where I shot over 200 rounds, I've gotten disgusted enough I'm going to firelap this baby. First time out was its best showing. The gun leads like crazy, even with correctly sized cast (.454). I'm not asking it to do anything it shouldn't be able to. Looking at the rifling, the bore couldn't be rougher. Looks like I made it with a toothpick and a butter knife. I got good enough groups with 200, and 250gr. cast going moderately to slow. Hate that blow back with the 200gr.!! They were not terrible, but would be "passable". The 270gr. bullet going at a moderate speed was the worst group I've had for a while. Something about that heaviness certainly does better when pushed a bit. The moderate load was 9gr. of Unique. Seemed like hardly a wimpy load at all. I enjoy the gun itself. The sights, stock and what not I have grown accustomed to. It has already done 3 inch groups with up to 300gr. bullets driven at impressive speeds. Accuracy at 100 yards with virtually anything is sadly lacking. Seems it needs over 1300fps if I'm going to have accuracy with any bullet over 250gr. The gun shoots jacketed bullets fine as well.

I am still hoping to get this down to something comparable to a Marlin, but at this point, I've got my doubts. Not sure what the difference is. Its very smooth, and has a decent trigger pull.

I have 50 rounds of grit from Beartooth ground into some oversized 300gr. bullets for polishing this bore. This will be about the 17th gun I have done. Hope this does the trick! Its certainly worked on my Marlins, though I've never had one this bad.

Member #
    I'm interested in the fact that the Marlin 45 has a slower twist, but will shoot this load so much better than the Rossi with a slightly faster twist. (1 to 38 Marlin vs. 1 to 30 Rossi). Any enlightenment from the rest of the crew? Anybody try to drive these larger bullets slower?

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    The only thing about the Ross (1892 clone) is that top ejection. You'll understand this once you get a hot case down your neck, or even better, a female shooter gets down the front of her top. Wow!!!

DD
    I'm not as good as I once was but I'm better ONCE than I ever was.

Team 38-55 #29
    Marlin League #80
    Team Old Pharts #101
    Team Shotgun #21

Member #
    Not sure if anyone has been following this, but I've finally gotten to where I am satisfied with my groups. The gun had absolutely horrible groups with a bullet I bought from Rim Rock bullets. It liked them OK if pushed really hard, but didn't like a 9gr. of Unique load. The gun showed about a 3 to 4 inch group with my tang sight at 50 yards with other loads that included 200 and 250gr. moderately loaded ammo usually with Unique or Titegroup. It also showed this accuracy with a factory Ultramax 250gr. load. My Marlin 1894 showed accuracy right off the bat. So much so that I thought that was what was inherent in this caliber for carbines. I've learned something with this gun, and its to assume nothing. As I said, the bore was very rough, and decided to firelapp it. I did the job this last weekend. Its a time consuming job that has alot of people worried about whether it could be overdone. I don't really think that is possible in this case. I took 48 lapping loads to get it where I wanted it to be. I loaded up the Lee 300gr. non sized non gas checked soft bullet rolled in the 320 grit and shot them going right about 450 to 600fps. The first batch of bullets i rolled would seldom leave the bore. They had a previously successful load of the above Lee bullet with titegroup. The bore was so rough these would stop at a dovetail or even just 1/2 way down the bore. These had been fine with handguns (#3), a Marlin 1894, and a buddies Buffalo Classic 45. I increased the dose of titegroup by 1.5gr. The lapping leaves the bore shiny, and less likely to lead. In fact I had horrible leading prior to lapping, and got rid of it all afterwards. Most importantly, the loads that were so so before now are extremely accurate. The two loads (200 and 250gr) were both measuring right at 1 inch for 50 yards. A huge improvement. Strangely, the jacketed accuracy was never bad at all. I assume that this probably has improved as well. The rifling in this thing were horrible. Hope no one else ever has a bore this bad.

The Rim Rock load still is not good, but it is 1/2 of what it was. Its down from 9 inches to 4 inches. I decided this particular bullet and gun combination needs to be driven harder. It liked the 19gr. of AA#9 and this bullet just fine.!
    Last edited by Dr. A; 08-28-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links