+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ranch Dog

Thread: Bought Another Rossi Rio Grande Today

Site Sponsor/Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #

Bought Another Rossi Rio Grande Today

Based on my experience with my Rossi Rio Grande 45-70, I bought another today. It is the 3030B which I plan to have JES rebored/rechambered to 38-55 Win. I was going to send it straight out tomorrow but decided to keep it a week and shoot it as a 30-30. Just enough time to see what I think as a 30-30 Win and whether I want to add that as well and also to see if any warranty issues surface. I've looked it over pretty close and the fit and finish is perfect. It had a cool dealer hang tag in the box that will look good on the wall! Had to scan it in two images and put them together in a image editor as it is about 24" long.

hangtag99.jpg

My shop told me that he ordered one each of the various 30-30 models plus my rifle. The rifles actually arrived yesterday but I could not pick mine up until this afternoon and by the time I arrived he had sold all of them. I would have liked to look at the various finishes but he is going to try to keep them in stock.

I stopped by Academy to see if they still had the 410 but they were sold out waiting on more. I have a Savage 411 12 gauge double that I've never hunted with so I thought if I sold it, I could justify adding the 410 (you know how that goes). The only thing that keeps traveling acroos the airspace between my ears is, "what do you do with a 410 levergun?"

I would have taken some pictures of my rifle but it is broken completely down. If you are not familiar with a Rossi, or Taurus, the are "pickled" when shipped and they need to completely cleaned prior to use.

Drivin my life away... Cowpoke
    Member #
    Speaking of 410...(and possibly helping you justify the purchase, LOL)

My father in law bought my young son a BrazTech (Rossi) 22/410 combo for Christmas...Here it is (I love this pic),

Anyway, my oldest son and I had an absolute blast with the 410 barrel a few days ago...we shot up 5 boxes of shells while hand throwing clay pigeons. I beat him bad, real bad...he's a heck of a shot with a rifle but never really messed with shotguns much. I bird hunted a lot when I was younger...

At the end he was starting to hit them pretty good though...it was fun, no sore shoulder, lots of laughs.

My young son also shot it once with the 410 barrel...I was helping him hold it...He grinned real big and said "load it again". I didn't load it again, didn't wanna overdo it, he's only 4. I wish I had a video of him describing the recoil to his Papaw...he was so serious when he was telling him about it, but it was hilarious.
    Last edited by Ridgerunner665; 01-04-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    So were you able to "Catch All The Action" ?

The "Lever" action, I think?

Member #
    I've caught all the "action" I can handle most of my life... not the good "action" either.

The 3030B (wood, blued steel) weighed in a 6# 11 ounces. The specs say 7# so it is great to have a firearm meet the spec.

Member #
    Inspected and cleaned every part of the 3030B while looking for anything that needed to be dressed or stoned. I found nothing, this rifle was 100% other than the light cosmoline that is used on the rifle. The parts I found that needed dressing on my 4570B where completely finished. Very, very pleased with this rifle. I suspect that they are getting in their groove down in Brazil I my rifle is the latest shipment according to the distributor/dealer.

The action is as smooth as glass, no scratches on the cycled ammo (that has been cycled repeatedly), this rifle is as clean as a whistle. Got everything measured up for the load work. Now, I need to start that. 7# 7 ounces with the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32. The 4570B is 7# 2 ounces.

If this rifle shoots as good as it looks, I will start saving my money for another as noted in the OP this one will become a 3855B. I'm feeling the 410 itch as well and I hate that!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Those are very good looking rifles.
    "Fast is good but accurate is final"...Wyatt Earp

JEEP...There's only one

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Ranch Dog.
    How is that 45-70 to shoot?
    I have a NEF 45-70 that I load to shoot 405gr at 1800 fps. Pretty hard recoil.
    The Rossi is lighter in weight than the NEF, so I'm a little concerned about the recoil being worse.
    I'd like a lever gun closer to 8 pounds myself.

How has the Rossi held up?
    I'm in the market for a new Lever 45-70 and have 3-4 choices.
    Marlin classic, XLR, GBL, ABL, STBL, as long as they are well made and I can check them out before I buy them
    Rossi Rio Grande, I really don't like the big loop, but do like the small lever. Either in Blue or Stainless
    Henry 45-70, again, as long as I can see one in person, not a fan of the "prototype" photo on their website.
    Thanks!

8. 09-03-2014, 07:51 AM

Banned

Reason
    Spam and/or unwanted content

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links