+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Deadeye
    Member #
    I went with the green hi-viz front and Marbles Ghost Ring rear on my Rossi '92. I like the combo a lot! Steve set me up,I also bought his DVD and a big loop lever,metal mag follower,safety delete. Its my 'Wolf Wacker'! 24" octagon bbl in .45 Colt...
    Life Member NRA
    Life Member NAHC
    Team 45-70 #171
    Browning 1886 45-70
    Marlin 1895 STBL 45-70
    Sharps Long Range Express 45-70
    #135 in the Old Pharts pantheon of glory.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CITYSLICKER1 View Post
    I have a Rossi 92 357 with a 16 inch barrel that shoots great with factory sights. My wife can't hit anything with it and I can. This of course drives her nuts! I have ordered a Skinner barrel mounted peep sight. I kinda have my doughts with the short sight radius. Might be awhile as I just ordered it. I'm hoping it will let us shoot this gun as well as my 39 mountie with a Skinner on it. Oh yes I'm 53 now!
    Iron sights are more individual eye dependent than scopes.

I have a 16" bbl Rossi Puma 92 in .357 (without the lawyer safety) so the peep sight from Steve's Gunz is not an option.

I found that the gun hit dead on the bulls-eye at 25 yards with the back sight elevation ramp completely removed and the sight leaves resting on the barrel.

My gun has the front sight that is an integral part of the front barrel band.

I was using the factory 158 grain American Eagle soft points.

Some say they can sight iron sights at 50 or 100 yards.

I take my hat off to them because the front post/bead subtends the whole target at much over 35 yards for me so I sight my iron sights at the 25 yard pistol range.

I have another Rossi with a long eye relief 2-6x33mm Bushnell Trophy pistol scope mounted on the barrel that works fine & doesn't add much weight.

I have it mounted with Warne QD rings so it can be removed to let me access the iron sights.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    pricedo,

Use a large target at longer distances and LOLLIPOP the target. You don't necessarilly need to hit the middle of the target----just where you want to hit. Example--you want to hit dead on at 100 yds. The bullets should hit at 6:00 oclock on the target after you LOLLIPOPPED the target. It also helps to use a target that appears to be the same width as your front sight so you have a more accurate sight picture as far as left to right sighting.

Hip

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
    pricedo,

Use a large target at longer distances and LOLLIPOP the target. You don't necessarilly need to hit the middle of the target----just where you want to hit. Example--you want to hit dead on at 100 yds. The bullets should hit at 6:00 oclock on the target after you LOLLIPOPPED the target. It also helps to use a target that appears to be the same width as your front sight so you have a more accurate sight picture as far as left to right sighting.

Hip

Let me recall the number of times I have shot a moose or deer beyond 50 yards in the past 45 years while hunting in the thick stuff with a iron sighted lever gun.

{pondering, pondering, pondering}

Exact "ZERO", "NADA", "0" times.

My 3 iron sighted lever all been thoroughly range tested and get me inside the circumference of a 4" aluminum pie plate at 50 yards using the 25 yard "0" method & I can sight my rifles in at the same time I do a little handgun target practice without setting up any special infrastructure down range (other than the recycled chicken pie plate).

It works for me and my 60+ year old eyes.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links