+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Rossi Rio Grande 45/70 Govt

Site Sponsor/Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #

Rossi Rio Grande 45/70 Govt

Have any of you pondered this rifle? I really doubt that I will be purchasing any Remington leveractions so I started to think about additions from the other offerings out there. If this was chambered in 444 Marlin, I would have already prepaid a purchase.

I do have a in stock notification with Buds and a couple of other places including local shops. I might buy the thing when it arrives but I sure would like to find out more about it and do some measuring to see if it will be a 28K PSI rifle or on par with the Marlin. Any of you guys hear anything along this subject line?

If they introduced a 32 Win Spl, that would be an immediate buy for me as well. Taurus/Rossi has become very innovative over the last decade. I have gone to Taurus in my hand guns, 9 of them, so I'm going to start watching their long guns as well.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Re: Rossi Rio Grande 45/70 Govt

it will be a 336 or 1895, it will just be made in Brazil instead, QC sometimes suffers down there as they don't have as stringent test firing, but it will be offered at a lower price.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

There are so many good, real Marlins around, why buy that imported stuff? The best Rossi, Taurus or whatever will never be as good as a real Marlin.
    I have more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

I really like the 3 Marlins I have(336RC,1895GBL,1895GS), but I also have3 Rossi lever guns (357,44m,45colt) as well Really like those too. They are good strong actions, a little stiff when new, but fun to break in, as are all guns!
    Don't think the Rossi rifles will dissappoint anyone, other than not being a Marlin.
    Thank, Robert.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Well Pelican, I certainly have to agree with you. Some people say they are cheaper and not as good as Marlins, you only have to look at what is coming out of the factory these days. I know they will not be as good as the older Marlins but it is an alternative iif you want a new rifle but don't want to pay the earth for it. If you don't like the Rossi, well then Mossberg has a newy in lever action and they are a great buy and cheap too.
    Team 45-70 Member No. 268
    Team 1894 Member No. 28
    Marlin League Member No. 24
    Team Old Pharts Member No. 88
    Team ANZMO Member No. 7

THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Made a boo boo, Mossberg is 30-30 not 45-70.
    Team 45-70 Member No. 268
    Team 1894 Member No. 28
    Marlin League Member No. 24
    Team Old Pharts Member No. 88
    Team ANZMO Member No. 7

THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

My son has a reservation on a new 45-70 Henry. They should be coming out later this year. Not sure the configuration, but would anticipate exactly what they have in 30-30. The wood may not be exciting, but I've shot one of their 30-30's, and I'd buy one if I needed it. We have no plans for Marlin forthcoming either.

Sidewinder
    Member #

I wouldn't have any issues in buying one. I have an M92 in 45 Colt, case hardened with the long octagon barrel. Everytime I go to the range I have at least one person ask "how old is that thing?". Then I tell them it's a reproduction. Great finish quality.

I put a Gunslinger spring kit in it ($28 @ Brownells), so you can forget all that filing and sanding non-sense; it's as slick as greased butter and shoot's ragged holes at 50 yards. I've even taken clays on the berm at 200 yards with it. Iron sights. So I can't bad mouth them.

Given Remlins current state of QC, I think it would be a fine alternative. Unless you can find an 1895 Cowboy - then the Rossi would have no chance.
    "Good Judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." Team .45/70 #415, Marlin 795, Marlin XT-22VR

Site Sponsor/Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #

I've got all the "used" Marlins I need in that I have all the models and cartridges offered. I do not think that Remington could build a levergun that I would be interested in but I remain so in the Rossi 45-70. I guess as soon as one hits South Texas I will buy it to see what I think of it. Like I noted, I made the mistake of buying one Taurus pistol and ended up with nine of them and you couldn't get me to switch.

Deadeye
    Member #

I don't think I'd be touching off many hot rounds through it ( 5.8 pounds)
    http://florians.org/jslayer/375.jpg

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links