+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Where is the best place to buy bulk 22 lr ammo

Tinhorn
    Member #

Where is the best place to buy bulk 22 lr ammo

In the past I have been buying Federal bulk (550 in a box) at Wal-Mat. Lately they seem to have switched to Winchester and do not have the Federal. I am sure many people get good service from Winchester but I tend to get as many as 10 duds in a box compared to an average of 1 every other box of Federal. And that seems strange as I never have a problem with Winchester in 9mm. I was wondering just where I could find a real good deal on Federal mail order on a regular basis. I use a couple of bricks a month, sometimes three or four and I would like to keep them cheap. The last time I asked anyone they quickly recommended places to get a good deal on Aquila, Kimber, Wolf and other expensive brands but not what I was looking for. I know I am cheap and a real pain to the folks who only buy the very best but at the rate I use ammo for practice I need some I can buy without having to take out a second mortgage on the house. In fact if I could get them cheaper I would probably use even more as I like to shoot every day. I am sure there must be some other cheapskate out there who is getting a good deal on 22 lr.
    capt greg and andre66 like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Look at Cabelas website. they have a large metal box of Federal and their 375 count of 36 gr plated is cheaper than Walmart's 325 count Automatch.
    Get a shot off fast. This upsets him long enough to let you make your second shot perfect

Gunfighter
    Member #
    However complicated the issues become... it comes down to one simple question. Which is more important to you Life or Liberty? I've made my decision long ago.

"Is life so sweet or peace so dear; as to be paid for at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me Liberty or give me Death." Patrick Henry

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Those didn't look like good prices to me - especially with little to no price break for 5000 rounds.
    Academy Sports - a chain store - has Federal 525/bx for $19.99, Remington Thunderbolt 40grain same price.
    Wally world has Federal 36gn plated 550 box for same price.
    Natchez has them for that price but then there's the hassle of ammo online, shipping...
    Cabelas is a buck or so higher - so is Dick's and Bass Pro.

22 I've always bought local - they're already the jellybeans of the gun world.
    capt greg likes this.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
    Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."
    -- Ayn Rand

Tinhorn
    Member #
    sportsmans guide

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJon View Post
    Those didn't look like good prices to me - especially with little to no price break for 5000 rounds.
    Academy Sports - a chain store - has Federal 525/bx for $19.99, Remington Thunderbolt 40grain same price.
    Wally world has Federal 36gn plated 550 box for same price.
    Natchez has them for that price but then there's the hassle of ammo online, shipping...
    Cabelas is a buck or so higher - so is Dick's and Bass Pro.

22 I've always bought local - they're already the jellybeans of the gun world.
    6300 rounds for 250.00 plus shippin seems like a decent price to me...
    However complicated the issues become... it comes down to one simple question. Which is more important to you Life or Liberty? I've made my decision long ago.

"Is life so sweet or peace so dear; as to be paid for at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me Liberty or give me Death." Patrick Henry

Wrangler
    Member #
    Dunhams has been putting their Blazer bulk packs on sale every few weeks for about $17 a box of 525,
    by far the most reliable bulk pack ammo I've used, Ive used the Federal bulk packs in the past, but these Blazers in my opinion seem even better than the Federals. I've used them in my ruger mark II, Marlin model 60 Marlin model 39 they all seem to feed fine.
    A bit dirty (most .22's are) but every one goes bang, I
    yet to find a dud after going through a couple bulk packs.

Sidewinder
    kalamazoo, MI west on m43. follow the gunshots
    Member #
    well, if you are in a gambling mood you could try gunbroker. there are a lot of cases that start at 1 cent with no reserve and if no one bids you up, you may get for under $100 (if you're lucky). some even offer free shipping, which could easily be $30 or more. if you just want an honest good deal, go to your local gun shop. i havent asked mine yet (as i've been too broke or i was buying a gun) but i've been meaning to ask about a possible price cut for buying a case. if the owner is actually out on the floor, you might get as good deal. at my shop, the prices are naturally competitive with walmart and the stock is 10 times better. bulk pack blazers are $21.19 out the door (6% state tax) and if you want a box of shells for your 28 or 16 gauge, they actually have them. i'd be willing to bet if you asked the clerk at walmart for a box of 28 gauge, they'd look at you like you were speaking a made up language.
    own:
    savage 24 22lr/20 gauge made in '65
    glenfield 60 made in '78
    henry .H001 made in 2002

want to own
    everything else

team 60 #113

people always point out that the second amendment says nothing about hunting. i like to point out that it says nothing about need.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by capt greg View Post
    6300 rounds for 250.00 plus shippin seems like a decent price to me...
    that's still $21 a box for 530 rounds. Not a bulk deal IMHO when I can get the same at a big box store for $2 cheaper.
    capt greg likes this.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
    Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."
    -- Ayn Rand

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Champion Shooters Supply

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links