+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: question on 880 SQ

Tenderfoot
    Member #

question on 880 SQ

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and did a search, but it didn't come up with anything.

I recently aquired a Marlin 880SQ in a trade, and wanted to learn more about it.

my understanding is that these have match chambers and micro-groove barrels? I had never seen a rifle without factory sights before this one. There is a "blank" rear sight and a plug where the front sight would normally go at the end of the barrel.

What are these rifles worth? Seems the be pretty damned accurate.

Thank you for any information offered.

-Barfly

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I have one. It is very accurate, and not terribly ammo picky. The black plastic stock is pretty poor, but easily replaced with something more substantial. Mine does not have a rear sight dovetail or front sight screw...just a straight heavy barrel with no cuts or holes. IIRC I paid about 150 bucks for mine in 100% condition a few years ago. I like it.
    Barfly likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I wonder what current value might be... mine has a threaded barrel and currently is outfitted with Leoupold vari-x II and 6-9" swivel bipod..

Gunfighter
    Member #
    The scope is worth as much as the gun. Most who want the SQ probably arent too interested in a threaded barrel, but I bet you could squeak 350-400 out of it of its all in like new condition. Others may have a different opinion.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I have an 880sq as well. It has a bull barrel and i did not know of any 880sq to have notches for sights. Black plastic stock, extremely accurate. It is actually featured in the book "ultimate Sniper 1st edition" by major John Plaster as a great trainer sniper rifle. I have had mine for 15 years. I think i paid $200 new for mine then. It sits right next to my newer savage mark II TR which is a little more accurate but not by much. I have never had a problem with any ammo out of my 880sq including 22 short. Your 880sq assuming you have a bull barrel model like cg and I have should split golf tees at 50 yards all day. As far as value, you might get as much for the scope as you would the rifle. I have not known these to carry the same collector enthusiasm as a cz 452-455 or others, but you should have a lifetime of fun with it.
    cgcollins likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I'd keep that one. There aren't many out there and they are super accurate. It's one of those guns you will never be sorry you held on to. I think the new XT-22VR is probably the same gun.
    Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Post pics!
    Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I will post some pics when i get home today

Thanks to everyone for thier input!

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    i also picked up a new old stock 880sq last year, just got it set up. it loves fed hv match .22lr, will group full clip into dime at 50yds. i do dislike the plastic stock but would'nt trade it for any reason.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Buy a laminated stock from any number of places...I did and it looks better and still shoots great.
    bonedog likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links