Unhappy XT-22 Bolt troble.

Bought yesterday new XT-22.
    Today discover that bolt looks like this:

DSC05487.jpgDSC05488.jpgDSC05491.jpgDSC05492.jpg
    Is it normal?
    And what i should do?

Deadeye
    Member #
    Why do you think there is a problem? Have you cycled the bolt? Have you fired the rifle?

That bolt doesn't look bad from what I can see in the photos. Get the users manual out, follow the instructions for cleaning and oiling the bolt and reinstall it in your rifle. With the rifle empty, work the bolt 50 - 100 times ( Don't Pull the trigger - DO NOT DRY FIRE YOUR RIMFIRE RIFLE) or so then pull it back out and wipe it down and lightly oil it and reinstall.

Also, if you have not done so already, carefully inspect your rifle, oil and clean it including running several oiled patches throught the barrel followed with a dry patch or two to remove any excess oil.

Go shoot it and enjoy your new rifle.

Is this your first rifle or are you well experienced with firearms in general? Knowing your experience level will help folks help you.

Regards, TallGrass
    Last edited by TallGrass; 08-19-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added advice on initial cleaning for new rifle

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGrass View Post
    Why do you think there is a problem? Have you cycled the bolt? Have you fired the rifle?

That bolt doesn't look bad from what I can see in the photos. Get the users manual out, follow the instructions for cleaning and oiling the bolt and reinstall it in your rifle. With the rifle empty, work the bolt 50 - 100 times ( Don't Pull the trigger - DO NOT DRY FIRE YOUR RIMFIRE RIFLE) or so then pull it back out and wipe it down and lightly oil it and reinstall. Go shoot it and enjoy your new rifle.

Regards, TallGrass
    Necessary to increase the photograph. There are visible hole in the bolt. Holes were worn!
    I was born intelligent, education ruined me

Shotguns
    MP-153 (SPR453)
    IZh-54

Centerfire Rifles
    Marlin XL7 in .30-06 Spr

Deadeye
    Member #
    I see the hole.

Here are photos of the bolt from my 981 TS and new XT-22 MV for comparison -

981 TS

XT-22 MV

It's not clear to me that the hole we see in the OP's bolt is a cause for concern or a result of the machining process. It might be, but I'm not sure we can know without answers to the other questions of whether or not the bolt cycles OK and if the rifle fires OK and extracts and ejects, etc.....

As far as the other edges of the surfaces we can see in the photos, the OP's don't look drastically different than any of my three Marlin rimfire bolts and they all shoot fine ....

Anyone else care to post photos of their XT bolts?

Regards, TallGrass
    Last edited by TallGrass; 08-17-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    bolt looks good. i dont have a xt but i have a 25mn ill post pics of the bolt tomorrow. after im back from the range. i got mine used and o problems with it. bolt looks same as yours

Deadeye
    Member #
    The hole is where the firing pin spring lives-completely normal.
    Best Regards to All,
    Walt
    Team 1894 #16
    Team 39 #23
    Team 60 #2
    '02 1894SS
    '47 39A
    '08 39A
    '94 60W
    2011 XT22

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Here's mine. The bolt on all Marlins is so close to identical to all others, they are fairly interchangeable. These pics are from a 1991 25N. Totally normal. Fret not. Shoot more.

Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Deadeye
    Member #
    Evening Alex1974,

How did your new rifle shoot today?

Regards, TallGrass

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I'll say what Troy from "Swamp People" says. "SHOOT! SHOOT!" Those hillbillies love their Marlins. Even when they get money for the good stuff, they just buy the stainless version of their old gun .
    Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links