+ Reply to Thread

Sidewinder
    Member #

Problem with 795 extraction

Last time I shot I was having problems with the gun extracting the bullet from the chamber. I though it was the new mags I received as they were leaving marks on the rounds. But I went to the range yesterday and was still having FTE with the mag that came with the gun. Other than a good cleaning, what else would I need to do to fix this? The gun a only a year old and might have about 200 rounds through it. I had the same problem with my Ruger 10/22 and that was fixed by changing the extractor with a 3rd party one, but this is a fairly known problem with the 10/22s.
    Last edited by Red Green; 08-12-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    "Quando omni flunkus moritati"
    (When all else fails, play dead)

Team 30-30 #211
    Marlin 336W 30-30
    Nikon ProStaff 3x9 40 Scope
    Warne Rings & Mount

Marlin 795 22LR w/Tech Sights

Sidewinder
    Member #
    i had to polish the chamber on my 795 had bluing in ther was causing the hot casings to stick. i had to remove the barrel from the reciver. a little hard but can be done ill post pics later. you must get a roll pin punch and hammer the pin out then twist the barrel out.
    Last edited by marlin795; 08-18-2012 at 12:59 AM.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    marlin795 with barrel removed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I tore the gun apart today and cleaned it. I finally got my Froglube from Amazon and want to try it out. More on that later. I did take a bore light and checked the chamber, it looks clean an clear. I also cleaned the face of the bolt, which had some crud underneath where the extractors are, not to bad, but I took a q-tip and applied some 91% rubbing alcohol, then took a toothpick and cleaned everything out. The alcohol was recommended before applying the Froglube. One thing I noticed...and it may suppose to be this way, but is one extractor supposed to stick out more than the other? Can someone check there gun and see if it is the same? I know they are different shapes, but just now noticed this. Anyway I just put the gun back together after applying the Froglube. I must say I like this stuff. It really slicked up the action, and it is dry, so hopefully no more gun residue buildup. And that got me thinking...the last time I cleaned my gun I just used Remoil gun wipes on the bolt on in the receiver. I just wonder if it was too light and made the bolt short cycle, causing the stovepipes and failure to extract. I will find out Saturday.

Team 30-30 #211
    Marlin 336W 30-30
    Warne Rings & Mount

Sidewinder
    Member #
    mine is the same way. one stickes out more the left side sticks out the most and i use 2 drops of hoppeys oil. i found out that to much oil makes it jam. less oil the better. when i use very little oil it works great. and make shure your ejector wire is not touching the mag hers a pic of what it should look like. i had to bend mine a little. hope this helps. and yes rem oil is very thin. doesent help much. also most on here will say rem ammo is not good i have used it with no problems. it just smokes a lot. i just get federal lighting at walmart. 1.97 burns clean and accurte. good luck man and makes shure the ejector does not rub on the inside of the bolt. that will cause extraction problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Thanks for the confirmation on the extractors. Went to the range today and it only jammed once due to a failure to fire...bad ammo. I must have put 500 rounds through it today. I guess it may have been a combination of some dirt I did not see and the Rem Oil. The Frog lube worked great. My brother was there with his 795, which we just cleaned prior and oiled with Hoppes. He noticed the action on mine was much smoother and asked if I polished to bolt. I let him shoot it and he thought the recoil was more, even though we were using the same ammo. Anyway I'm glad the gun is working, and with the tech sights did pretty good at 25 yards. Here is a target sighting in the Tech Sights. Shot 25 yards and target is printed on a single 8.5 x 11 paper.

IMG_0001.jpg
    Last edited by Red Green; 08-19-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Team 30-30 #211
    Marlin 336W 30-30
    Warne Rings & Mount

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links