Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Federssen Barrel for model 60-795

11K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  gator69 
#1 ·
Ok guys I spoke with Feddersen and if we can get 100 guys that want a feddersen barrel for there Marlin models 60 or the 795 They will make a run of them for us. Now mind you they would all have to be the same . I was looking at mine and if we leave the barrels what ever diameter they are at the receiver. The full length this would give us the heaviest barrel that would work with the feed tube. If you have a clip feed gun then we could get the barrels for them cut to lets say 16 1/4" . The tube feed barrels will have to be longer of course to accommodate the tube. Ok we need to start a list of guys that are not just interested but are ready to make this happen! I think this would be the first after market barrel for these models.

If you are interested please add your name here in a post and send me a PM with your contact info. I am going to post this thread on the Rimfire centrals site as well. If you guys know any where else to post it please do. Thanks.

#2 ·
I'm confused. You said that all 100 have to be the same, but that the model 60 barrels have to be longer, so which is it? Also if all the barrels have to be the same, then do the 795 people have to live with the tube magazine's dovetail, or are they going to cut those after you order them? Also I don't think you'd be able to get the magazine fully inserted if a model 60 were a bull barrel. If you look, that's where the taper begins.

Did he give you a cost estimate for each barrel? Will they be threaded? Crowned? Bull? Fluted? I think we could use a little more detail on this.

#3 · (Edited)
The barrels will all be the same diameter. The 795 will be cut down and have no dove tail. The tube on the model 60 is held in place by the dove tail insert and holds the tube off the barrel far enough to let the tube pass. They will be a bull barrel but the same diameter as the factory barrel at the reciver. As to cost as soon as we get all the guys ready Feddersen will put the time in to figure out the cost.. I have over 20 guys on the list and will try and get a ruff estimate on cost.
Thanks

#4 ·
Let me try and clarify. The barrels will be the same diameter as the stock barrel is at the receiver but the full length from one end to the other. I have not measured the stock barrel so I can not tell you the exact diameter until I get home. The idea is to try and make them affordable so no they wont be fluted or threaded unless every body on the list wants it. The crown will be the target type they are using I'm sure.

#5 ·
Ok, that makes more sense. I still don't think a bull barrel model 60 will work though. I don't think that there will be enough room for the cap of the inner magazine tube to fit between the outer tube and a bull barrel. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks to me like either the ring that holds the outer magazine tube will have to be replaced with a taller one, or a relief will have to be cut in the barrel for the cap, or the last few inches of the bull barrel will need to be turned down to get the magazine closed.

#6 ·
Pokey. If you look at the dove tailed spacer that is in between the barrel and tube that holds the tube on the barrel. It when put in a dove tail on a bull barrel will hold the tube just as far away as it does on the hunter sporter taper factory barrel.

#7 ·
Have you ever tried to get a Marlin barrel out of the receiver?

Good luck with that. I will get a picture of the tool I used, that could barely do it.

#8 ·
Please do as I would love to see it. Yes I have taken one off. Although it is not easy it is completely doable. The good part is going back togather you can control the fit if you like. You can pick up these guns really affordable ! And it would make for a great project.

#9 ·
All I can think is WOW !! not one of the members on here are interested.
So here is the thought Boyds is now making after market stocks along with a few others. Lots of guys do the bolt work on these models. Then you have the new trigger system from arrowdoger. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/rimfires/90503-kat-trigger-marlin-semi-autos.html
And no body on here would like a after market barrel ? I will leave this post up for a few more days. If there isn't any interest at that point I will close the thread .

#10 ·
How are you going to make it more accurate than the microgroove? Is the barrel a thicker profile than stock?

#12 ·
I think you are right. Only the chamber could make it more accurate.

And it's possible, you've just doomed any chance of getting any interest.

My recommendation to you would be to buy the 100 barrels with the discount and sell them on Gunbroker/eBay/forum for-sale areas. Then you'd make money doing what you enjoy.

#13 ·
The micro groove barrels are good but not in the same class as a good custom. I do not wish to make any $ on this. You have mod 60 right? If so let me ask you. What kind of groups are you getting at 50 & 100 ? I'm looking to build a 1/2 moa rifle and not one of my micro groove barrels will do it. I've never seen or heard of one that can. I'm not talking about cherry picking groups. I'm talking about consistently.

P.S. One of the most important factors for accuracy in a .22 barrel is the chamber. Have you read up on the feddersen barrels at all?
I ask because you seem to think the Marlin micro groove is just as good and there not!

#14 ·
I heartily encourage you to build one and then give us a good step-by-step for the build. Title it "I built this target Model 60!" and show us your mods and photos of what you did. THEN you will build interest in this project, but you are trying to get 100 people fired up about making an incremental increase in accuracy to rifles we hunt squirrels with.

You talk about you wanting to do this. We all back you in that project. But what it looks like you *need* is to find 99 other people so you can get the barrel you want, built, that you hope will be the thing that tightens your groups. Feddersen barrels are certainly okay, for a 10/22. Perhaps not as "okay" as a Clark Custom, but certainly right up there (we could debate that angrily too, if you'd like).

Probably everybody but you has seen the following targets. 50 yards. Marlin Micro-groove, .22lr. 3-9x old Tasco scope that was borrowed from my deer rifle. 7 rounds per target. Tough to cherry pick these pieces of paper.

You are asking us to trade $180+ to improve on this? I would say "Pass" but it is clear everyone else has already said it, with their deafening silence.

Maybe rimfirecentral.com will be more amenable and if they are, more power to you. Seriously. Everyone here knows I love doing projects/write-ups and generally having fun and modding things (not just guns). Possibly except you.

#15 ·
Sometimes the internet takes away the ability to feel what somebody is trying to say. It tends to get lost in translation. Let me say that I'm in no way trying to get the barrel I want ! If that where the case I would just buy a feddersen 10/22 barrel and have it worked to fit my Marlin. I truly understand your position as a hunter . Thosr are some really good groups. But they are exceptional for a mod 60.
And yes the lack of interest does say it all. So at this point I would like to close this thread so it is not just
taking up here. But that will be up to the moderators of this forum.
On the other side I will do a build along here .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.