+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Yes the profile will be straight .750 and the chamber alone will make it more accurate not to mention the rest of the custom aspects of a feddersen barrel. I can only assume you really dont under stand what makes a .22 lr barrel accurate?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I think you are right. Only the chamber could make it more accurate.

And it's possible, you've just doomed any chance of getting any interest.

My recommendation to you would be to buy the 100 barrels with the discount and sell them on Gunbroker/eBay/forum for-sale areas. Then you'd make money doing what you enjoy.
    Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack View Post
    I think you are right. Only the chamber could make it more accurate.

And it's possible, you've just doomed any chance of getting any interest.

My recommendation to you would be to buy the 100 barrels with the discount and sell them on Gunbroker/eBay/forum for-sale areas. Then you'd make money doing what you enjoy.
    The micro groove barrels are good but not in the same class as a good custom. I do not wish to make any $ on this. You have mod 60 right? If so let me ask you. What kind of groups are you getting at 50 & 100 ? I'm looking to build a 1/2 moa rifle and not one of my micro groove barrels will do it. I've never seen or heard of one that can. I'm not talking about cherry picking groups. I'm talking about consistently.

P.S. One of the most important factors for accuracy in a .22 barrel is the chamber. Have you read up on the feddersen barrels at all?
    I ask because you seem to think the Marlin micro groove is just as good and there not!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I heartily encourage you to build one and then give us a good step-by-step for the build. Title it "I built this target Model 60!" and show us your mods and photos of what you did. THEN you will build interest in this project, but you are trying to get 100 people fired up about making an incremental increase in accuracy to rifles we hunt squirrels with.

You talk about you wanting to do this. We all back you in that project. But what it looks like you *need* is to find 99 other people so you can get the barrel you want, built, that you hope will be the thing that tightens your groups. Feddersen barrels are certainly okay, for a 10/22. Perhaps not as "okay" as a Clark Custom, but certainly right up there (we could debate that angrily too, if you'd like).

Probably everybody but you has seen the following targets. 50 yards. Marlin Micro-groove, .22lr. 3-9x old Tasco scope that was borrowed from my deer rifle. 7 rounds per target. Tough to cherry pick these pieces of paper.

You are asking us to trade $180+ to improve on this? I would say "Pass" but it is clear everyone else has already said it, with their deafening silence.

Maybe rimfirecentral.com will be more amenable and if they are, more power to you. Seriously. Everyone here knows I love doing projects/write-ups and generally having fun and modding things (not just guns). Possibly except you.

Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Sometimes the internet takes away the ability to feel what somebody is trying to say. It tends to get lost in translation. Let me say that I'm in no way trying to get the barrel I want ! If that where the case I would just buy a feddersen 10/22 barrel and have it worked to fit my Marlin. I truly understand your position as a hunter . Thosr are some really good groups. But they are exceptional for a mod 60.
    And yes the lack of interest does say it all. So at this point I would like to close this thread so it is not just
    taking up here. But that will be up to the moderators of this forum.
    On the other side I will do a build along here .

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links