Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Problem with 795

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  marlin795 
#1 ·
Went out shooting to day. My 795 has a ejection issue. I put a new recoil rod and spring the case is getting caught in the bolt. Using superx ammo. Happengs when i shoot one at a time. Works perfect during rapid fire. And
ideas would be great . I have abought 2100 through it.

#5 ·
By cleaning, the question is, did you tear it down and clean the action after buying it and then re lube it? Sometimes' they're way over lubed and will gum up. Other times it's the opposite. I've seen 2 new 795's that were bone dry out of the box- not a single drop of oild anywhere.

#7 ·
OK, that's one thing down. What do you mean by "Happengs when i shoot one at a time. Works perfect during rapid fire." Do you mean that you're only loading one round into the magazine at a time, or that you're shooting slowly, because the gun shouldn't know the difference until well after the round has been ejected.

#9 ·
I don't have a 795, so I can't be sure, but I'd say the next thing to check is that the ejector is not bent.

#12 ·
Im am using winchester superx 36 grain. And federal bulk no differnc e. And the rifle is clean no dirt. The ejector looks good and is in the proper postion. Just dont know what the problem is dosent show a lot of wear. I also removed the extractor and cleaned them. Dident help.

#13 ·
I had a similar problem with SuperX 36 grain on the 795. The problem went away when I switched to CCI 40 grain or the Federal 525 bulk pack, and the FTE issue returned when I went back to SuperX. I would sometimes get 1 round in a 10 round magazine that would stovepipe. It could be the cleaniness of the 795 as sometimes I wouldn't have an issue at all, but then I would get one/mag. And always going back to CCI fixed the issue. So maybe the 795 was to dirty to handle the round or it just works better with better ammo. :) At any rate, that's my experience.

#14 ·
First, it sounds like a kink in the recoil spring...did it get bent?
Re-bend or replace with a J&P Springs recoil spring or a MCARBO set...

Second, check for a Burr on the recoil guide rod...use a Q-tip or cotton ball...
if you find anything catching the cotton, take an arkansas stone to it and smooth it out...

Third, use a spray cleaner like Powder Blast CLP and squirt thru the bolt hole where the recoil spring goes...
then use a pipe cleaner to root around in there & clean it out...

Fourth, clean the divots on each side of the barrel (inside the receiver) where the extractors go...gunk builds up there and causes wierd issues...

Fifth, check the rails where the bolt slide for burrs...cotton ball test again...smooth off any you find...

That's all I can think of at 3:30am ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.