+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I got a Bag-o-Gun - Stevens Visable Loader

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Why wouldn't you fire it? It doesn't degrade, like food. Piece it together and then get that thing to the range! I'd love to see how it does!
    Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Deadeye
    Member #
    I vote fire her off and let us know how she does, looks like a fun little plinker
    1993 Marlin 336 .30-30
    1973 Glenfield model 60
    1971 Marlin 1894 .44mag
    1970 Marlin 336 .35rem
    1950 Marlin 336 S.C..35rem
    One wife who puts up with my Marlin addiction (Avatar)
    Four kids who will grow up knowing how to use guns!

Live Free or Die

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    It would be a fun little plinker.
    I feel reluctant to fire it because the parts just rest together right now. The breech block does not lock-up against the barrel/chamber. I don't have an "assembly" drawing showing where everything goes, just an array of parts that looks like it has been photocopied too many times from Numrich. But, the good news is, I can get most of the parts from Numrich or Poppert's Gun Parts or Wisner's Inc.

It needs:
    Buttplatescrews (2)
    Buttplate
    Locking cam
    Magazine tube inner assembly
    Slide handle screw
    Tang screws (2)
    Rear sight elevator
    Action pin
    Action pin screw

Alltogether this would cost about $73.00 plus tax,shipping & handeling. Then, if it all locks up tight, I would shoot it for sure.

The important parts are:
    Locking cam
    Action pin
    Action pin screw

Without the mag tube inner assembly it would be a single shot. I think almost any .22 mag tube inner assy would work if shortened to proper size.
    The tang screws and the buttplate screws are just wood screws. I could get them at a local hardware store.
    The buttplate is black hard rubber, I can find something around here.
    I have a rear sight elevator from a 336 or I could fabricate something.
    The slide handle screw is one of two and may be available with the wood screws.

Given that I could get the above with little expense, the cost to refurbish is down to about $43.00.

This may be worth a shot (so to speak). The wood looks good with Tru Oil finish.

It would be a blast to shoot.

I gotta pay my taxes and then there is my sons wedding...this little pump may have to wait for a month or so.
    Last edited by Midnight Rider; 04-08-2012 at 10:27 PM.
    Team 30-30 Member #33
    Team 35 Member #40
    Team 39 Member #180
    NRA Member
    US Navy Veteran

No Fear
    No Excuses
    No Mercy

Site Contributor Certified Gunnut
    Minnesota -------------- The Great White North
    Member #
    Found this on a different sight. There is a link to the Patent drawings, which will give a pretty good pic of the assembled gun.
    Also there are some helpful hints on the assemble.

NEED HELP, schematic of Stevens Visible Loader Needed - 24hourcampfire

Hope this helps. There is one at my local gun store, but I am putting all my money into Marlins.
    NRA Life-Marlin league#16,Minnesota MarlinOwners--Team= Marlin Express, Levermatic, 35 Rem#68,32 Special#4, 45-70#28, 1894#94, 30-30#131, 39 #39, 38-55#39, X7#47, 60#120, Shotgun#3, 366-44#2, 44-40#37 , 22 Mag #006
    Finally an Updated Marlin Dates and Production sheets. - Marlin Model 32-38 Pump Project-LEVERMATIC Catalog pages 1955-69

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Is this a better copy? Also the parts list below the image.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/exploded_v...ibleLoader.htm

There's a guy on this thread who has re-built two SVLs.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...roject-196094/
    Last edited by JetBlack; 04-09-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Schtoolee
    Great link. Good information on assembly.
    If you remember the price of the Visible Loader in the gun shop, I would like to know.

JetBlack
    That copy is better, I can read the Stevens name on the buttplate.

Great info thanks guys.
    Team 30-30 Member #33
    Team 35 Member #40
    Team 39 Member #180
    NRA Member
    US Navy Veteran

No Fear
    No Excuses
    No Mercy

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I have a Stevens Model 70 VLR, and it's definitely not a wallhanger!

Trigger weight is a bit stiff at just over 6 lbs and the bluing is gone to brown patina, but the rifle is light and easy to carry.

Properly assembled, it can be rapid-fired by holding the trigger back and pumping as fast as you can until the magazine is empty. (Henry's H003 used to be able to do that until somebody lawyered it up...no longer possible with current-manufacture rifles.) Action will not open until the hammer rests in the fired position, and a cocked hammer will not fall until the action is locked closed.

Spent casing is ejected from the VLR when a fresh round is lifted up from the VLR's magazine well, which means the last round will not automatically eject...must be removed by hand. A very early "last round" indication, before bolt hold-open came along.

My VLR feeds well on Federal American Eagle .22LR ammo. Initially I found the firing pin was broken, but keep in mind that the firing pin is mechanically retracted when the action is open, making visual inspection of the business end of the firing pin just about impossible. Evaluate marks on the cartridge case to determine condition of the firing pin. Replacement firing pins are normally available and very easy to change, but do require some fine fitting of the "business end" and perhaps the cam notch as well using a set of needle files to operate reliably.

Inner magazine tube can be made up from one of Numrich's tube kits. Numrich may also have your missing parts (or, maybe not... I waited about six months for a used outer magazine tube to become available from them. Keep checking back!)

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

I love my little Stevens VLR...It's a hoot to shoot!
    Last edited by rimrunner; 06-08-2012 at 02:26 AM.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    What I can tell you is my wife's Uncle, a farmer in Knox County Illinois - Percifal Township near Knoxville who was born in 1911 said every youngster there lusted over the Stevens Visable Loader. They were widely sold through the Sears and Wards catalog of the day at a big price advantage to the Winchester offerings. I myself inherited a shot out Stevens Favorite that was all used up by 1960. The
    Stevens used a soft steel that would not hold up over time, but they worked and were cheap for the youngsters. Enjoy your find!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    When it replaced the Steven's Invisible Loader, that was a big improvement. I mean, I'm sure Wonder Woman loved hers and all, but everyone else lost theirs so fast it was not funny.

Ernest Hemingway

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    It is a very cool looking gun. I hope you get it working again. I like the idea of people using exposed hammer guns for hunting. I feel that a gun that can be de-cocked (or half cocked) is much safer than one that only has a trigger safety.
    1946 Marlin model 39A
    1978 Glenfield model 40 (Marlin model 49DL)
    1996 Marlin model 60
    Team 60 member #90
    Team 49.22 member #1

Hey, you can't say that in America!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links