+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New 22 WMR

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

New 22 WMR

I've been considering getting a new 983. I was looking at them at the Marlin website online the last few weeks. Last weekend, the special order catalog didn't list it, only the new XTs. I went back to the Marlin website last night and the 22 Win. Mag Rifle page is gone.

Is the XT-22MTW the same gun or better or worse than the 983?

Is there any chance I could still get a "Marlin" made 983? If not, is there any other 22 WMR rifle I should be looking at?
    MDT

Marlin 336W w/ Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 BDC
    Marlin 1894C w/ Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40 AO
    Put BSA Catseye FM310x44 scope on 308 BAR
    Savage 10ML-II SS muzzleloader w/ silver Bushnell Elite 3200
    Barnett Quad 400 crosbow w/ scope
    Diamond Outlaw RAK Bow

Deadeye
    Member #
    You might find a 983 out there but it may take awhile.

I have a 2008 model 983 :

Marlin shows a Model XT-22MTW on their website:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/images...W-70851-lg.jpg

It looks pretty much like my 983 but has the newer Pro-FireŽ Adjustable trigger where my 983 has what was called the T-900 trigger. I notice the checkering pattern is a bit different as well.

I have not personally seen or inspected a new XT-22MTW but did take a look at several of the new XT-22 magnum models in my local gun shop today. The fit and finish was as good on the three XT-22 rifles I looked at as on my JM stamped 983. The actions worked smoothly and barrel and sight alignment seemed to be right on. Now all of the rifles I looked at today had synthetic stocks so I can't make a comment on the quality of the walnut.

There are a few folks here in the forum who have purchased the 22 magnum version of the XT-22 recently so hopefully they will chime in for you.

Regards, TallGrass
    Last edited by TallGrass; 04-01-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    MDTrailrider likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I had an opportunity to go over a fresh-from-the-factory XT22MR two weeks ago...
    there is very little difference between it and the older 25M/25MN/882/925/982VS, other than the trigger & synthetic stock.
    The action remains more or less unchanged to the naked eye...
    The trigger is WAY better...when I get some spare cash I'm going to order one in for my 25MN
    and the synthetic stock is improved over the older 900-series synthetic stocks...

But the forearm still bends easily, whether by design or not, I have no idea.

I prefer wood, so after contemplating the possibilities, I'm eventually planning to own an XT22MVSR, (heavy barrel/stainless),
    and shortly after aquiring it, I would get a Boyd's laminate Stock of some sort...several styles to choose from

Since the Heavy barrel isn't that much more expensive, and more precise, and I'm not a wuss who worries about gun weight...
    its a perfectly good choice for me to hunt a variety of small game/varmints with.

I'd also take the time to Lap the bolt lugs for better fit and engaugement...which only makes sense for a precision rifle...
    heck, ain't much to do to wring the most out of really sweet rifle

Don't forget to very carefuly examine the Marlins made from 2005-2011...quality is VERY suspect, due to disgruntled workers.

On the upside, looks like the schmucks from Kentuck are getting a lot better at making Marlins! (I left off the Y to rhyme...)
    compared to the mid-2011's, these are much higher in quality and feel.
    Last edited by Big Shrek; 03-28-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    A firearm should be a tool in the hands of a deadly weapon, not a deadly weapon in the hands of a tool.
    Team Levermatic #001 http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/gr...evermatic.html

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I found a New Marlin 983 on the shelf last month...and YES I bought it ! The wood on the new ones just isn't the same...nor do they have the old school Fleur De Lis checkering. Not saying I wouldn't buy one of the new ones. There are still some "brown" tags still out there!! You just have to keep looking and when you see one...BUY IT

Quote Originally Posted by MDTrailrider View Post
    I've been considering getting a new 983. I was looking at them at the Marlin website online the last few weeks. Last weekend, the special order catalog didn't list it, only the new XTs. I went back to the Marlin website last night and the 22 Win. Mag Rifle page is gone.

Is the XT-22MTW the same gun or better or worse than the 983?

Is there any chance I could still get a "Marlin" made 983? If not, is there any other 22 WMR rifle I should be looking at?

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Shrek View Post
    I had an opportunity to go over a fresh-from-the-factory XT22MR two weeks ago...
    there is very little difference between it and the older 25M/25MN/882/925/982VS, other than the trigger & synthetic stock.
    The action remains more or less unchanged to the naked eye...
    The trigger is WAY better...when I get some spare cash I'm going to order one in for my 25MN
    and the synthetic stock is improved over the older 900-series synthetic stocks...
    But the forearm still bends easily, whether by design or not, I have no idea.

I prefer wood, so after contemplating the possibilities, I'm eventually planning to own an XT22MVSR, (heavy barrel/stainless),
    and shortly after aquiring it, I would get a Boyd's laminate Stock of some sort...several styles to choose from

Since the Heavy barrel isn't that much more expensive, and more precise, and I'm not a wuss who worries about gun weight...
    its a perfectly good choice for me to hunt a variety of small game/varmints with.

I'd also take the time to Lap the bolt lugs for better fit and engaugement...which only makes sense for a precision rifle...
    heck, ain't much to do to wring the most out of really sweet rifle

Don't forget to very carefuly examine the Marlins made from 2005-2011...quality is VERY suspect, due to disgruntled workers.

On the upside, looks like the schmucks from Kentuck are getting a lot better at making Marlins! (I left off the Y to rhyme...)
    compared to the mid-2011's, these are much higher in quality and feel.
    Big Shrek, can you share how you had a chance at a fresh-from-factory xt-22mr? Did it already hit the racks at your local gun stores? I called Marlin repairs line figuring they would know when the stainless brown laminate tube fed (mtsl) would be coming out again. Was told they were making them this month and to look for them locally around Easter. Maybe this is the model (mtsl) that is last on the run of 22 mags for the month.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Tallgrass,

Thanks for the info. You have a very nice looking 983. It seems like the two models are still very similar.
    TallGrass likes this.
    MDT

Marlin 336W w/ Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 BDC
    Marlin 1894C w/ Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40 AO
    Put BSA Catseye FM310x44 scope on 308 BAR
    Savage 10ML-II SS muzzleloader w/ silver Bushnell Elite 3200
    Barnett Quad 400 crosbow w/ scope
    Diamond Outlaw RAK Bow

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I'm a bit late to the game here, but i recently bought a used 25mn and it consistently shoots about 3 feet high. Any ideas on why? Thank You.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Another case when older is better.
    "a man ought to have a good rifle, needn't be an expensive rifle, needn't be a powerful rifle, just a good rifle" - Old Moe

Veteran 68-74
    Team Old Pharts #131, "Older is better, in people, guns and whiskey"
    Team 60 #133

​Team Crown Royal #1

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghouse1 View Post
    I'm a bit late to the game here, but i recently bought a used 25mn and it consistently shoots about 3 feet high. Any ideas on why? Thank You.
    Doghouse, you might get more response if you start a thread with your question. And stop by the "New Members" board for a meet and greet. I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful advice. Include some more information, like whether you are using a scope or factory sights, what ammo you are using, what range (distance) you are shooting at, etc ...
    A word to the wise ain't necessary, it is the stupid ones who need advice.

What doesn't kill you ... will circle around for a second attempt.

Team 60 #172
    Show Me Marlin Owners.
    Team Rossi #12
    Glenfield Model 60 "oak leaf" w/Williams fire sights
    Glenfield Model 60 "squirrel" w/UTG 4 x 32 scope
    Marlin Model 25 w/ tasco 3-9 x 50 scope
    Ruger American .243 with Bushnell Banner 3-9 x 40 scope
    Rossi M92 38/357

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I own a new MTSL and it can flat out shoot Remlin always knew how to make bolts and that hasn't changed any. THEY are out there got mine off of gunbroker probably overpaid but I wanted it. If you ever get a chance to shoot any of the x7vh series do it for the price they shoot as accurately as any big priced name. I don't quite think I would buy a new lever from Remlin seen to many with problems but the bolts are good to go. By the way if you look on gunbroker I believe there are a couple of MTSL on there. My laminated stock is one of the nicest I own and there are a few.
    Last edited by trout48; 11-23-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links