+ Reply to Thread

Tinhorn
    Member #

Has anyone added pillars or bedded an xt.22?

I have a xt.22 with synthetic stock and magazine fed. Am wondering if anyone has done pillar or bedding or bolth with this model and would like to share that experience. My rifle is not grouping that well. Get about one inch with mini mags and one and a half to two inches with the rest(outside to outside of the farthest two holes at 50 yards). I have second stock so I am willing to try the work myself, but need some pointers. Would like to maximize the rifle's potential. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Before I went to through the effort of pillar bedding, I'd double check to make sure that all of the obvious culprits aren't the problem. Stuff like the bore being clean, the muzzle properly crowned with no damage or defect to it, all screws tight, scope not defective, etc. Then, with that out of the way, I'd be inclined to send it out to Remington/Marlin for warranty claim. As good as mine shoots, if I bought another that performed like yours is doing, that's how I'd handle the problem. I don't typically see pillar bedding as creating accuracy where none exists, but rather as a means of getting consistancy where it does.

T-C
    Last edited by Tele-Caster; 03-14-2012 at 05:47 AM.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Loose scope and sights are a really common problem that is not always easy to detect. Also check the scope base, that holds the scope rings to the gun.

1" groups at what range? If you are shooting at 200 yards, we will stop feeling bad for you, right away

Is the barrel floated? It should be, from the factory but the smallest bulge in the plastic would cause it to touch and string shots in a line.

Mini mags are great for hunting but not the ideal ammo for accuracy. The rifling in the Marlin .22lr guns is a twist that is "idealized" for subsonic ammo aka "standard velocity" .22lr. Mini Mags are slightly faster than that.

The second place I'd look is the muzzle. The smallest scratch can ruin accuracy more than you would ever think! Very easy to fix. As in from the time you decide you are going to fix it, until you are done? 3 minutes.
    Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Tinhorn
    Member #
    50 yards. I will magnify and look close at the crown, check/tighten base and scope. Float is good(dollar bill test). I have tried rem. subsonic but will try again. Also just ordered lots o CCI SV. Bore/chamber/bolt and the rest are clean as can be. Tried shooting all lead and did 8 shot groups one after another for 8 groups and did not get any improvement. I will also contact Marlin and see what if any can be done. Thanks for the help so far!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    For what it's worth, my 25N (which I rebarreled with an 880SQ bull barrel) loves CCI SV, in 40gr round nose.

This is 50 yards, from a rest, with that ammo. The black is 1" across.

The accuracy is certainly in your gun. You will find the problem and happiness will follow. Then you will feel pity for everyone else's guns

Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Tinhorn
    Member #
    My happiness may be linked to the scope base and or the sope. After a close inspection looks like I have bumped it on something. It wasn't shooting well and I thought it was just me haveing a bad day shooting off-hand. Then the next time out it got worse as I was shooting till I knew it wasn't me as the holes were high and to the right. I coulda bumped it some time ago, or it may not be all that good to start with, or bolth. The crown looks good. I am going to get a new/better scope and shoot more! Thanks for the tips. When it is dialed in better I will show some groups and then ask for more help!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tedward View Post
    My happiness may be linked to the scope base and or the sope. After a close inspection looks like I have bumped it on something. It wasn't shooting well and I thought it was just me haveing a bad day shooting off-hand. Then the next time out it got worse as I was shooting till I knew it wasn't me as the holes were high and to the right. I coulda bumped it some time ago, or it may not be all that good to start with, or bolth. The crown looks good. I am going to get a new/better scope and shoot more! Thanks for the tips. When it is dialed in better I will show some groups and then ask for more help!
    I look forward to it!

Ernest Hemingway

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links