+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Sling mount on model 60: A tip

Sidewinder
    Member #

Sling mount on model 60: A tip

Hey all, about a year ago, I wanted to mount a sling to my Model 60 and came up with a pretty slick system that I wanted to share.

For the butt stock mount, I just used a standard wood screw type quick disconnect swivel mount. But for the front swivel, I had to get clever. I wasn't happy with any of the store bought mag tube clamp style swivels. I found them to be too fragile and I personally didn't want any wait being distributed to my mag tube.

I have a machine shop at my work, so the next few steps were pretty easy....

I removed the barrell from the stock/forearm and set it aside. I figured out where I wanted to mount my forearm swivel and marked it.

You can go to Home Depot or your local hardware store and buy these thread interts that are made for wood. (see attached image)

I mounted the stock up in a mill and first drilled a through hole (from the top/barrel side of the stock) the same size as the O.D. of the threaded part of the insert. Then I put an end mill bit in and bore a shallow hole into the stock that was the same diameter as the larger flange part of the insert. This allowed the insert to sit flat in the barrell groove.

I picked an insert with a thread length just long enough so that in it's fully inserted position, it would not come through the underside of the stock.

Once the insert was installed, I could then install a machine thread type swivel mount into it from the underside. I also made sure to use those white washers they give you with the swivels to make it look fancy

The mounting system is much mcuh stronger than any mag tube style swivel you can buy and it cost about $3 total.

Send me a message if you have any questions. I'm sure I could have done a better job of explaining it.

mi.jpg
    Mountain Hunter and Azbagger like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    They make a swivel stud set to do exactly what you wanted to do, there's a special nut that's included with the set that you drill a shallow hole for in the barrel channel at the desired location, it has straight knurls on it to keep from turning. Then a hole is bored for the machine-screw threaded stud through the rest of the stock. Cut the stud to length and dress it off and the job is done. If you do a bunch of this stuff, both Midway and Brownells have special bits to keep from lifting chips and mucking up the stock when drilling both the holes for the machine screw studs and wood screw ones. Twist drills will do this on figured wood. These same machine screw/nut stud sets can be used on hollow plastic stocks, the one side of the nut is rounded so it fits the bottom of the stock pretty well inside. When I need these, usually somebody has the sets at the local shows for cheap, stainless or blue.

You got the job done, but kind of reinvented the wheel there.

See:
    Uncle Mike's - Single Pack Swivel Screw Item 115B You can't really see the nut contours, though.
    also
    Uncle Mike's - Step Drills for Swivel Mounting

Stan S.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Dan, I think you did good. Sounds like someone might have been there first with a similar idea, but you should keep up pursuing any other good ideas you have. Might get really lucky next time.
    Ron
    Bellingham, Washington

US Navy Retired

"Trust....but Verify" President Ronald Reagan

Wrangler
    Member #
    Neat idea. We've been using these on model airplanes for as long as I can remember building & flying them. They're packaged as "blind nuts" in the model world. Cool deal.

Marshall Alexander

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I am not an engineer (but I did ride the Royal Gorge Train in Colorado), but it appears to me that the blind nut would spread the weight our over a larger area and be a stronger attachment point than a "woos screw" would. Most of the weight of the rifle is being carried by the upper sling while the rifle is being slung so the upper attachment would need to be the strongest.

But I may be wrong, my right/wrong average is not great.
    Bill Tolle
    Marlin Team 60 member #19
    Model 60W
    Model 60SB
    Model 336W

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by btolle View Post
    I am not an engineer (but I did ride the Royal Gorge Train in Colorado), but it appears to me that the blind nut would spread the weight our over a larger area and be a stronger attachment point than a "woos screw" would. Most of the weight of the rifle is being carried by the upper sling while the rifle is being slung so the upper attachment would need to be the strongest.

But I may be wrong, my right/wrong average is not great.
    Exactly. You're dealing with a pretty thin piece of wood in that forend on the Model 60. I don't know if I would trust that Uncle Mike's kit. The reason I went with a blind nut of that size was not only to lock the nut in place, but to also spread out the force over a larger area of wood.
    Macawpat likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Hi Dan, you have a great idea there. I just purchased a model 60 and want to put a sling on it. No one around here wants to do it (or can do it )and with 3 weeks until squirell season I dont want to send it off. Would you possibly have pics of your finished product so I can do it myself and get into the woods on time. Thank you so much.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Three weeks... That's balls! We've got more than two months yet.

Since you're getting a head start anyway, I guess i ought to wish you good luck, and safe hunting.

There are a couple of threads on this same topic, either here or on rimfirecentral. A google search for "Marlin 60 Tnut stud" should turn up one of the ones with pics if Dan doesn't have any pictures.
    Macawpat likes this.
    1946 Marlin model 39A project (not working yet)
    1978 Glenfield model 40 (Marlin model 49DL)
    1996 Marlin model 60
    Team 60 member #90
    Team 49.22 member #1

Hey, you can't say that in America!

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Ya it says in the 2012 handbook October 15 but it also says Aug 15. So I checked with D.N.R. and they say Aug 15. I also checked with the state hunting preserve. I will be shootin those bushytails in Aug.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Nice. I have to check still with NH fish and game to see if it's legal to take them with an air rifle. If not, I'll only get to use my .22s. I'm hoping to be able to use both. I did just find a nice newly opened hunting spot that no one seems to know about yet. I'm looking forward to that. It's a small enough parcel of land that I think the Deer hunters will ignore it.
    1946 Marlin model 39A project (not working yet)
    1978 Glenfield model 40 (Marlin model 49DL)
    1996 Marlin model 60
    Team 60 member #90
    Team 49.22 member #1

Hey, you can't say that in America!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links