+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 22 LR at 300 Yards

Contributing Member
    Member #

Sissy trigger

Hey Win,

13-1/2 lbs? Right manly trigger. If one can use a trigger like that, one does not need the rifle.

Later, Mark
    Win_94 likes this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Marlinitis Symptoms: More Daily!

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.............

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B. View Post
    Good shootin', but I'm confused.

Are you using the scope, or open sights, or both?
    That video was shooting with the scope on it. After that day I took the scope off since I couldn't get a precise adjustment for 300 yards.

Two days later I tried with the stock iron sights, except I used my home made sight elevation blade so I could have sight settings beyond 125 yards.

Then, when I found that setting to still be a bit low, and that a taller sight elevator put too much strain on my rear sight, I switched front sights for a shorter one.

And now it seems that I can get out to 400 yards or more, I'll find out tomorrow... I bought some different ammo, (they didn't have the Remington ammo I was using,) and am going to test at 100, 200 and 300 yards right now.

Thanks!

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Team 30-30 Member #335

Wrangler
    Member #
    Back from testing...

The Blaser ammo must be going a lot faster, I'll have to chronograph them next time it isn't raining. But the POI heights are high enough as to make my sight adjustments one increment lower.

To explain... before I hit at 300 yards with the sight elevator on the 3rd notch, with a 6 0'clock hold. Now I'm on the second notch viewing the target in the front sight peep; the peep made from removing the firesight filament.

The good thing is, when I hit at 250, I didn't check the target, I moved on to 300. When I went to check the targets, the new hits were below the 4 inch target by 2 inches and a hit on the 4 inch target about an inch from the top. From the sound, I think I hit the 4 inch target at 300 yards.

So I'm good; all shots from 100 to 300 yards, at 50 yard increments hit center windage wise, and only one hit below the 4 inch target which is placed in the center of the chest.

People freak-out when I hit an 8 inch target at 300 yards with my center-fire, (iron sighted,) rifles, now they are going to think I'm playing some kind of trick.
    Last edited by Win_94; 03-02-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added ", (iron sighted,)"

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Team 30-30 Member #335

Site Contributor Cowpoke
    Member #
    22Cal at 300 yds yes,but can you clean kill at that range with a 22Cal?

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    22Cal at 300 yds yes,but can you clean kill at that range with a 22Cal?
    "Clean kill" what?

Grizzly bears? No but neither can the .308 marksman at 1000 yards. Have you pointed that out to them yet? You better get to it, because there are thousands of them out there wasting bullets! That is why I should stop, right? Wasting bullets?

Or maybe you are talking about "clean kill[ing]" people since I'm shooting a torso target.
    No. Then again the purpose might not be to 'kill" but just take them out of the game. Ever think about that? Obviously not.

People that can't , can always find fault with the actions of people that can. You do understand, it doesn't enhance your marksmanship, right?
    msharley likes this.

Team 30-30 Member #335

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Sure are getting wound up around here.
    Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack View Post
    Sure are getting wound up around here.
    So you start an argument that you can't finish, and I'm at fault again. I see how that works.

Can't a guy target practice at distances he chooses, with the firearms he chooses? Why do you have a problem with that?
    Last edited by Win_94; 03-02-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typo

Team 30-30 Member #335

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I enjoy long range .22lr shooting. I do it for the challenge of hitting the target hanging down range that I put there. I prefer to test myself at all ranges with the most challenging targets I can come up with to post down range. I don't think anyone needs a reason to test him or her self with their shootin' iron. Shooting long range targets isn't for everyone, but the same holds true for those that prefer the short range stuff. To each their own. Keep up the 300 yard shooting Win 94, I think it's great! matter of fact I just recieved some MR63-C (300 yard target centers) today from a friend in Colorado who also shoots 300 yards. It's all good fun, and a good learning tool to read the wind and conditions at long range.
    Win_94 likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
    I enjoy long range .22lr shooting. I do it for the challenge of hitting the target hanging down range that I put there. I prefer to test myself at all ranges with the most challenging targets I can come up with to post down range. I don't think anyone needs a reason to test him or her self with their shootin' iron.
    Exactly! I used to think it was a really big deal to hit with my 30-30 at that range, and it was when I was at that skill level. Now that it isn't so much of a challenge I want to try with the 22. I can't fathom why others want to discourage that. I can see if I'm shooting deer with my 22 at that range, or any range for that matter, but to find fault in target practice is absurd!

Shooting long range targets isn't for everyone, but the same holds true for those that prefer the short range stuff. To each their own.
    I'm all with you there! I don't like shooting my center-fire rifles at under 200 yards. To me it is a waste of the cartridges potential. But you will not find me conveying disparaging remarks to those that are shooting 100 yards or less. It doesn't enter my mind to, I think it is great actually and encourage it!

Keep up the 300 yard shooting Win 94, I think it's great! matter of fact I just recieved some MR63-C (300 yard target centers) today from a friend in Colorado who also shoots 300 yards.
    I will, I find it satisfying to learn how to best do it with the items I have. I love it, nothing anyone has said has discouraged me in the slightest.

It's all good fun, and a good learning tool to read the wind and conditions at long range.
    Indeed! When I first started learning to read the wind, my 30-30 was what gave me the best idea as to estimating wind strength; and wind strength pertaining to the direction. They are invaluable learning tools, ballistically inefficient bullets.

Thank you for your kind words, and you "keep on keeping on" too!
    msharley likes this.

Team 30-30 Member #335

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Long range .22 rimfire is not new, it's been around a long time. I don't think Hap would mind me posting this link here. It is in pdf;

http://pronematch.com/wp-content/upl...in-the-USA.pdf

<begin excerpt>

While the traditional ranges for outdoor smallbore prone are 50 and 100 yards, during the years between World Wars there were two long-range smallbore courses of fire that were quite popular. The first was the Palma-fashioned after its high power brother-that allowed two sighters before 15 record shots at each of 150, 175, and 200 yards. The second match was known as the “Swiss Match”. The target was a 1/5th reduction of the standard six foot by ten foot 1,000 yard 'C' target, designated the 'C5" for smallbore matches. The black bull's-eye was a 7.2 inch five ring with a four-inch V ring. After the allowed two sighters, the shooter could continue firing for record as long as the shots stayed inside the five ring. Any shot straying out of the black meant an instant end.

These long-range any sight smallbore matches were most popular in the Middle Atlantic States. Popular venues were Sea Girt, New Jersey, Camp Ritchie, Maryland, and Peekskill, New York. From time to time a 300-yard match was held in conjunction with the more common Palma and 200 yard courses of fire. The standard military “A” target, with its ten inch black five ring, was used in this ultra long range smallbore match.

Limited to just two sighting shots a wise long-range smallbore competitor would have taken the time to obtain a good 100 yard zero for both elevation and windage with quality match ammunition. From this point it was simply a matter of clicking up the Winchester 5A, or it’s successor the Lyman 5A telescopic sight a matter of 20 minutes from 100 to 200 yards and 21 minutes more for 300 yards, assuming the bases were 7.2 inches on center. In the mid 1930s, when Lyman, Unertl, and Fecker introduced scopes with larger diameter objective bells and higher magnification, shooters had to go to taller bases to keep the scope clear of the barrel as the externally adjusted scopes were elevated.

At a time when the quality of ammunition and rifles was such that perfect scores at 100 yards were worth space in shooting publications some of the runs of consecutive fives and Vs at 200 yards are phenomenal. Famed belly shooter Thurman Randle, of Texas, and his Winchester 52 rifle “Bacon Getter”, established a national record in 1933 of 196 bulls that would stand for seven years.

During the summer of 1940 the grandly titled “Smallbore All Range Championship” was held at Poughkeepsie, New York. This anysight event called for ten record shots at 50, 100, 150, 175, and 200 yards with sighting shots allowed only at 50 yards. Military style pit service was provided at 150 yards and beyond to insure that the shooters might see shot location. The final match of the day was the Swiss Match. A young Art Jackson lay down at 4 PM with half of a box of Western Super Match ammunition to try his luck. Four and a half hours after he started, the setting sun made it difficult to see the cross hair reticule of his scope and, finally out of ammunition, light, and feeling in his left arm, he was forced to stop with an unofficial count of 325 bulls. The scorekeeper's official tally marks showed one less and his scorecard declared he had fired a new record of 324 consecutive fives with 238 Vs. The feat stands as a monument to both the endurance of the shooter and the generosity of the bystanders who donated some six boxes of Super Match ammunition to keep him going when his scanty supply gave out.

<end excerpt>

The NRA A-21 target is specifically for 200 yard smallbore (.22 rimfire) shooting competition.
    Last edited by Joe M; 03-03-2012 at 12:14 AM.
    Win_94 likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links