• 2 Post By Tele-Caster
  • 1 Post By Deluxe 247
  • 2 Post By Turbo Ghost
  • 1 Post By Mountain Hunter

Thread: Marlin XT-22VR

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin XT-22VR

Has anyone else had experience with the Marlin XT-22VR model? I just got one in online the other week and finally got my 4x scope sighted in and tried some different ammo. I was shooting it at 50 yards and had some really good results with the Remington Eley target (<1in). I shot some Aguila SSS (1.25in), which shot an inch high and to the right about 1 in from center. It liked Winchester Super Speed RN and CCI SGB. I had high hopes for some Lapua Polar Biathlon, but was very disappointed. I had 2 FTE with it and it did not group well although I hit dead center 2 times. It just did not perform/group well enough for the price of the ammo (11.00 box). Probably good in other rifles, but not this one. I did like the adjustable trigger and the heavy barrel helped with accuracy. If anyone else has any experience with this rifle, or ammo, please chime in...this is my first post here I'll take some pics soon. Thanks!

Wrangler
    Member #
    I don't have the heavy barrel version -just the "standard" which is pretty stout for a rimfire barrel as is, and the hardwood stock. Mine is a 1/2" (or less) grouper at 50 yards with a bunch of different ammo. It is scoped with a 4-12 X A.O. Bushnell in Weaver rings attached via Weaver bases. The point of impact varies with some of that ammo but it groups just about everything well. In point of fact, mine is the most accurate "sporter weight" .22LR rifle that I've ever shot, and I've shot some of Dieter Anschutz's finest. I've never shot an Anschutz sporter that grouped better than my XT-22 will. I haven't had a failure to feed, eject, or fire that wasn't ammo related, and that was with a batch of 20 year old Remington ammo that wasn't so hot in my 10/22 when I bought the stuff way back when.

Question for the OP: Did your bore have some brownish, thick, industrial strength preservative goop in it? Mine did, and that stuff was a bear to get out!! I can't imagine how it would have shot good if I'd have left any of it in there. I recently bought a "New In the Box" Remington 721 centerfire rifle that had this same kind stuff in it that was even harder to get out after 60 years of time to soldify into a waxy mess.

I absolutely love my XT-22. It is the best new firearms purchase that I've made in over two decades.

T-C
    Deluxe 247 and GWTX like this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    No thick goop in the barrel, but it was cleaned well before shooting. I did not have it locked in a bench sighting in, I did not have one. I did have it on bags, I would say some of it was shooter error. I had some groups at 1/2 in and some through the same hole. I wish I had a bench to see what it would really do. I have to say, it is one of the most accurate 22's I have ever had and the price can't be beat. I think Marlin has a winner with this model. It is just a blast to shoot! Going to do some rabbit sniping
    GWTX likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I've had mine for over a month now and unfortunately, I've only gotten to shoot it once. I have a Barska 8X32X42 scope and we only had about 20 yards or so to shoot at so, the lowest setting on the scope is 25yrds. The target was a little blurry and the crosshairs were a little blurry but, after about 20 rounds or so, it was nearly one-holing it. I've had too much other crap going on to be able to shoot it again but, hopefully before too long I'll be able to sight it in better and get some good results. I was shooting standard winchester bulk ammo and tried some wolf ammo but, there was no difference I could tell.
    Deluxe 247 and GWTX like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    We have the XT 22MR and like the others posted, the POI changes with the brand of ammo, but all usually groups well, except for some of the 30 gr higher velocity stuff we tried. It was all over the place. We have pretty much settled in on CCI Maxi Mag, 40 gr Jacketed Hollow points as the most consistently accurate rounds.
    Deluxe 247 likes this.
    Ron
    Bellingham, Washington

US Navy Retired

"Trust....but Verify" President Ronald Reagan

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links