+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Marlin 60DLX 50th Anniv. Edition not so "limited" after all?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin 60DLX 50th Anniv. Edition not so "limited" after all?

Howdy folks. I recently purchased a Marlin 60 DLX 50th anniv. edition after reading about them online. So this special model was to commemorate 50 years of production from 1960-2010, and it was supposedly limited to 10,000 rifles.

From what I can gather on the intarweb, the first 200 had serial numbers 60DLX000-200 and the rest had 60DL0201-9999. There were no "pre-production" models and the different serial numbers were due to a mistake programming the laser engraver for the initial 200.

Well, fast forward to February of 2012 and my local dealer says his distributor still has some in stock - so I order it and pick it up. ($219.99)

I open it up and admire the checkering on the black walnut stock, the factory swivel studs, and the laser engraved "50th Anniversary Edition" gold lettering on the receiver.

BUT wait, the serial number is "MM90630G" which completely defies everything I've read out there - and leads me to believe that the factory may still be pumping these things out. (as long as there is a demand for them?)

Also missing are the gold highlights in the roll stamp. The roll stamp also says "Model 60" and not "Model 60DLX". It was manufactured in Kentucky, not Connecticut.

I'm not upset at all, because I was able to purchase one but does anyone know if they are in current production in the Remington factory, and if not - exactly how many were made? (in the Marlin factory and the Remington factory)

Figured a Marlin expert here would know!

Thanks!
    TC
    Last edited by TCinJ; 02-13-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I think there was the original serialed Anniversary models. Some time after that Remington decided to make additional numbers, but they are not exactly the same. I have one like yours, and although mine had some quality issues, I'm pleased with the walnut stock, sight hood and general upscaled look of it. I also paid about the same as you did. I think it was well worth the slight upcharge.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gpschmidt View Post
    I think there was the original serialed Anniversary models. Some time after that Remington decided to make additional numbers, but they are not exactly the same. I have one like yours, and although mine had some quality issues, I'm pleased with the walnut stock, sight hood and general upscaled look of it. I also paid about the same as you did. I think it was well worth the slight upcharge.
    Thanks for the response!

What quality issues did you have?

I had to call Marlin to get a new front sight because the original looks like it had been pounded in by a chimp. (the hood was still on so the damage didn't happen in shipping) Should the sight be that tight of a press fit in the base or is the hood supposed to act as a retainer?

I haven't fired mine yet. As soon as I get the replacement piece, I need to get out and put a couple hundred rounds through it. Other than the sight, everything else visually looks great. Checkering is perfect, the wood is perfect, the action is tight and smooth.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Welcome to Marlin Owners,

Wish I could answer your questions but can only comment that my local gun shop shows six model 60DLX s in inventory as of today.

I have not been by to look at any of them so I can't comment on the serial number sequence they wear. Seems they must still be producing the DLX though.

We would love to see a picture of yours when you have a chance.

Regards, Tallgrass

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I had to call Marlin to get a new front sight because the original looks like it had been pounded in by a chimp. (the hood was still on so the damage didn't happen in shipping) Should the sight be that tight of a press fit in the base or is the hood supposed to act as a retainer?
    Look similar to yours?

I think the same chimp worked on mine. It took a couple of calls to get Remington to send the sight ramp and insert, but I have them now. I just need to have a gunsmith swap them out. I don't trust myself to not "chimp" it. The rear sight wasn't tapped on straight either. That was a 2 minute fix I did do mydelf.

I do hope Remington starts getting their QC in line.

The hood is a cosmetic feature. It may protect the front sight a little, but it's really a feature that sets it apart as a "deluxe" model.

Greg
    Last edited by gpschmidt; 02-13-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gpschmidt View Post
    Look similar to yours?

I think the same chimp worked on mine. It took a couple of calls to get Remington to send the sight ramp and insert, but I have them now. I just need to have a gunsmith swap them out. I don't trust myself to not "chimp" it. The rear sight wasn't tapped on straight either. That was a 2 minute fix I did do mydelf.

I do hope Remington starts getting their QC in line.

The hood is a cosmetic feature. It may protect the front sight a little, but it's really a feature that sets it apart as a "deluxe" model.

Greg
    Yes! I think the same chimp assembled our guns.

By looking at your pictures and my gun in person, it seems the insert is supposed to be a tight fit and tapped back and forth for alignment. The hood doesn't look like anything more than a little protection for the sight. I thought the sights were adjusted at the factory? Wouldn't they have seen this? Or did they adjust the rear sight to compensate for the bent front sight.......Or maybe even bang (and bend) the front sight in to align it.........

Does yours say "Model 60DLX" stamped in the barrel - or just "Model 60" like mine?

I will take some pictures tonight and post them. Maybe us Marlington 60DLX owners can post our serial numbers and try and figure out how many more "limited edition" Anniversary Editions are out there. By the looks of it, mine was number 620 out of who knows how many.

No matter I suppose. Guns are for shooting, not for decoration. That gold lettering might come off the first time it gets near solvents........

Thanks,

TC
    Last edited by TCinJ; 02-14-2012 at 07:20 AM.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I would say my front insert was most certainly forced on. Looks like with a large hammer. The ramp is literally chipped where the dovetail is. Not only did the chimp get the insert half on, but he bent the sight as well. It just amazes me they let that go out the door like that. Oh well.

I don't think they really adjust the sights at the plant. I think they just install. I'll check the exact wording on the rifle when I get home tonight and let you know.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    My ramp looked fine, so I didn't have them send me one. The insert looks to be brass, so I figured the brass got all bent up before the steel ramp would even think about deforming. Same deal though, it was hammered on about 2/3 of the way and the tip is bent over.

I have to figure out how to get my camera to take close-up pictures. You'll be astonished at the similarity.

At least the Remington factory is consistent.............

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Remington didn't really "shoot the laptop" on this deal. They seem to be hurrying the guns out the door, although my feeling is that quality is beginning to pick back up. More people are saying good things about their new Marlins.
    Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I think you're right. I'd add that the new plant has new people still learning the process, so throw that variable into the mix with getting product out the door. I bought a XT22 mag at the same time and the screws that are used for the mag guard were chewed up from the factory as well. Again, a rush job with probably the wrong slotted screw driver. I replaced the stock with a Boyds and the holes are drilled a bit too big for the screws. A quick trip to the local Ace hardware and I found screws that fit and look decent.

Before

After will come once I take a picture of it.... Shoots well however.
    Last edited by gpschmidt; 02-14-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links