+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gpschmidt
  • 1 Post By Halwg
  • 1 Post By Timdoyleus

Thread: How are your results between the 30 and 40 grain .22 mag ammo?

Gunfighter
    Member #

How are your results between the 30 and 40 grain .22 mag ammo?

Just checking to see what kind of results other have been getting between shooting the 30 grain and 40 grain bullets in .22mag. I am asking because we have fairly new XT in .22 mag and are still checking to see what kind of ammo it likes best, etc.
    last weekend at the range my son was telling me that he did not like the 30 grain bullets and they were all over the place. We were reviewing his range records before we went out today and decided to try again. Today we were shooting CCI ammo, 30 grain "V" max, poly tips, and CCI 40 grain, Maxi Mag, JHP.
    We were only shooting at 50 yards, the 30 gr bullets were all consistantly grouping a full 1 .5 in lower and to the left about .5 in. I took a few shoots and got similar results. (Don't mistake me for a marksman, and I am certainly not ballistics expert)
    Looking at the mfg data, even though the 30 gr is lighter and faster, speaking for trajectory at 50 yds they are both +.8" and +.9" respectively. So I figured the two should be closer to each other than that? No? What am I missing? Is it the speed? What are your experiences with how close the 30 and 40 gr bullets are at 50?

Just curious, we will be out again tomorrow and get in some more practice. We still have Hornady and some Winchester ammo to try out.
    Ron
    Bellingham, Washington

US Navy Retired

"Trust....but Verify" President Ronald Reagan

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Interesting you asked the question. I recently picked up a XT in .22 mag. I sighted in with an older BSA Classic 3-12X50 using Remington 40 grain copper jacketed hollow points. I was told by a guy who works at a local gun shop that his .22 mags shot more consistently with 40 grain. That's what I've used (grain weight, not brand) on a 25MN I used to have. It shot well. However, I do some squirrel hunting with mine and I am curious what weight is optimum for that purpose. So, I've ordered 4 different weights and bullet styles so I can do a little comparison between them. I plan to sight each one in and take them afield. If I'm lucky and can afford the time, I may have results by the end of small game season. In Michigan, that's March 1st.

Oh, I should mention that the grain weights I ordered are from 28 to 50.

Greg
    Last edited by gpschmidt; 01-22-2012 at 12:08 AM.
    Mountain Hunter likes this.

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #
    I actually have both the Hornady and CCI 30 gr bullet ammo. I have shot both of them in my Marlin 57M and my Savage 93. They both shoot well, but to a different POI than the 40 gr CCI and Winchester rounds I have been using. I was going to see if they were a little flatter shooting than the 40 gr on groundhogs. I really don't seem much of an advantage over the 40 gr stuff, and if I thought I was going to shoot a larger varmint like a fox, I'd probably go with the 40 gr loads.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Sidewinder
    Member #
    have a 883 and a 980 both in 22 mag had the worse grouping in the 30 gr in all makers in 40 gr the remington and winchester were about the same as th 30 gr stuff my rifles like the 40 gr cci maximag best havent tried th 50 gr or the hornady stuff yet (its $5 a box more)
    Last edited by Timdoyleus; 01-22-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I don't think I had quite the correct terminology in my first post. In his comments above, HaLwg used the term POI, Point of Impact, that's what I was trying to get across, that the 30 and 40 seem to shoot to different POI's. From the comments so far, it seems others have noticed a difference also. I was very curious if we might have been the cause, or maybe something with the new rifle, but we are shooting off of a bench with a gun rest, and the rifle had been sighted in with the 40 grain bullets. It was pretty significant differenace. I guess another factor to consider is that the 30 gr ammo seems to be a couple bucks $ more than the 40 gr.
    We will continue to try some of the other ammo and see if we can find something that both the rifle and my son like.
    thanks for the comments!
    Ron
    Bellingham, Washington

US Navy Retired

"Trust....but Verify" President Ronald Reagan

Deadeye
    Member #
    There's a trajectory difference in bullet weights that has to be compensated for with your sight zero. In my Savage 93 the 40gr from CCI and Fiocchi shoot POI within .25" of each other at 100 yards, sub 1" groups are common. I have some CCI and Hornady 30gr I have yet to try, and some Win 34gr and Rem 33gr as well.
    I think the lighter bullets may shoot a little flatter at longer ranges, but will be more troubled by wind-need a warmer day at the range to truly see how they work out.
    On the other end, I've had great results with Federal Gameshock 50gr at 50 yards with .5" groups-but they drop pretty fast past that. The WMR is a great round, you just have to figure out what your rifle does with it.
    My primary use is varmint hunting, so I don't burn a lot of ammo target shooting. I find a zero for a given ammo and record it for the next time I use it.
    Again, when you change ammo you have to adjust your rifle to it.
    Best of luck!
    Best Regards to All,
    Walt
    Team 1894 #16
    Team 39 #23
    Team 60 #2
    '02 1894SS
    '47 39A
    '08 39A
    '94 60W
    2011 XT22

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    hello i use the federal premium 30 gr speer tnt #765 .22 mag use in a browning t bolt off a solid bench rest, all break into the same hole 50 yrs.

have not tried 40 or 45 gr yet, but will soon need to try on a solid bench rest and stand. clean after ever 10 shots max.

unless i am shaky. alway great results with fed. prem if you can find them.also the fed prem SIERRA JHP 30 GR .22 MAG.

my 39a & papose long rifle digest a number of mfgs with good results.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    remember, each gun will digest the same bullet different. need to try a few to find out which one your gun prefers.

even if the same mfg and model, even with close s/ns they will not alway shoot the same ammo with the same grouping or POI.

clean your gun often and let cool.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I tried some of the hornady v-max and they shot well at 50 yards. They would pulverize large chucks of cinder blocks so I don't doubt hat they would be devasting on coyotes. My buddy swears by the CCI 40 grain HP and he has done some good work on some pretty big hogs. I guess my favorite is the CCI 40thies.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    My 1970's vintage 782 always preferred the 40 grain ammo. It told me that it liked 40 grain WW HPs best of all. POI is related to time in the barrel and velocity and...

Maybe it is time to try the various weights again. Darn. Another excuse to go to the range.
    Team 30-30 Member #137
    Team 39 Member #95

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links