+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

Accuracy - Hollow Point vs. Round Nose?

I was doing some reading the other night about the accuracy of hollow point bullets vs. round nose bullets. And to my surprise, I read an article that explained that HP bullets are actually more accurate. They stated some scientific reasoning related to the weight distribution of the bullet being heavier toward the back. They also suggested that most target rounds are actually HP's b/c of their accuracy.

But when I was at the store this afternoon, I noticed that almost all of the "target" or "competition" rounds were in fact round nose.

Does anybody have a clear answer to this? My original thinking was that round points would be more accurate b/c of the lack of cupping in the nose to catch air, but when I read the reasoning concerning the weight distribution of the HP's that made sense as well.

Thanks for your opinions. Just trying to get a better understanding of this.

Dan

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I think you have a few points confused.
    Rifle match ammo is HP but its a tiny hollow point. .30 cal 168 sierra match kings but they don't expand consistently like normal HP ammo
    Rifle round nose is more of a special round for tube fed guns. It's also typically an exposed lead point and is not drawn as precisely as copper
    Pistol plinking ammo is mostly FMJ and is sold as "target" ammo because it's cheaper and not as good of a self defence round.
    True wad cutter pistol target ammo is designed to cut a nice neat hole in paper to make scoring easier vs a torn hole left by FMJ and HP ammo.
    Last edited by Mikewood; 01-21-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    My .30-06 shoots the best groups with 168gr (precisely the right weight for the twist in the rifle) boat-tail, hollowpoint, national match bullets.

Here's a pic to give you some idea of the volume of the HP Kinda funny.

Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I shot a .27 inch group with those bad boys. Right out of the Remington box. They were $1 a shot, in 1993, at the cheapest place.
    Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I assume you are talking about rimfires, not centerfire cartridges . . I don't do much target shooting, but at .22 ranges either seems able to punch holes about equally.
    I use CCI Stingers iin my .22's always.
    Gary

“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.” Aldo Leopold

Team Shotgun #6
    Marlin League #56
    Team 30-30 #366
    Team Old Pharts #42
    Team 35 #298
    Team 39 #230
    Team 60 #166

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I have found that the hollow point in .22 ammo to be insignificant in most cases, the type and brand makes a greater difference.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    I think one only needs to look as far as a catalog for the answer. What are the match grade Rimfire manufacturers offering. CCI, Remington, eley and others selling?

Papalote
    11 Team 444

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    By far, THE most accurate .22 rimfire ammo I've ever used were some Remington Eley match grade. They were round nose bullets. I could print a cloverleaf group at 50 yards from a bench rest. The limiting factor was the thickness of the cross hairs on my 4x leupold rimfire scope. Really.
    John

Team Old Phart #86
    Team 39 #61
    Team 30-30 #95
    Team 1894 #121

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #
    RN and hollopoints shoot equally well in my 39A.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    As far as I understand, the quip about hollow points being more accurate than round nose (or other non-hollow points) is true for jacketed bullets. This is due to the fact that apparently they can have better control of the jacket as it is being drawn from a solid base towards the hollow point than when drawn from the nose towards the base. This leads to better axially balanced bullets and hence better accuracy. In un-jacketed bullets other factors may apply, but it is not generally accepted that hollow points are any more accurate than non-hollow points. All .22LR match ammo I've ever used has been round nose.
    Speak softly, but ride like hell!"

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links