+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr. Joe

Thread: Heavy vs. regular barrel?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Heavy vs. regular barrel?

Hi, it is a big difference between regular and heavy barrel in term of accuracy?...how much?...is a 22 lr. produce enough vibration to really make a difference? I've seen a mod. 25N, used but in very good condition (like new one), for a good 100$ less than a new 980V...(150$ less. considering that i have to pay the taxes for a new one).
    Thanks.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Generally speaking, it doesn't matter. I have a sporter weight BRNO #1 that shoots groups right along side it's BRNO #4 match rifle cousin.~Andrew

Sidewinder
    Member #

I dont think they are more acurate, but IMO are easier to shoot acurately
    rhead likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

From a machine rest ( fancy vise for guns ), the heavy weight "bull" barrel will always out-shoot the sporter contoured barrel. This is why heavy barrels are used in competition- for the accuracy edge.

For the majority of us, such gilt-edge accuracy is un-necessary- especially when a rifle like the 25-N is being considered. It is plenty accurate enough to shoot better than most shooters are capable of holding for. A friend's old 25-N shoots consistent sub 1/2" groups off the sandbags at 25 yds- better than minute of squirrel accuracy. But you won't see one in a BR-50 match- it won't hold up in a competition where .001" can be the difference between cheque in pocket, and walking home empty-handed. Such matches are dominated by Annie's, and Schultz & Larsen etc. in the 12.5-13 lb class, and rightfully so.

I dread the thought of lugging a 6.5 lb barrel around in the chicken woods where I hunt- the only thing that has stopped me from putting a .920" barrel on my 10-22 is the tight groups I get out of my 52 Sporting, and 39-A. Both guns are scoped, and nudge into the 7 1/2 lbs total weight- about my max for hunting. Add scope, mounts, rings, stock, and receiver to that .920" dia bbl, and I'm looking at slightly over 9 lbs carry weight.... too heavy.

The 25-N has a fine accuracy potential- well worth the used price they are asking.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Doc: I think I disagree with you on that one. I think that from a machine rest -given the quality of the barrels being equal- they would shoot the same. It's in actually usage that the heavier barrel comes into play providing a steadier hold off hand (hang) and more uniform shot-to-shot bag performance in BR type shooting. I think that heavier barrels are easier to shoot accurately in some instances. You could make an argument towards a heavier barrel resisting heat distortion but that seldom comes into play in a 22LR.~Andrew

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Winchester ran this as an experiment several times while they were producing competition .22's- the heavier barrels always beat the sporter contour- and the quality of the Win. barrels was very good indeed.

Some would tell you that the .22 lr doesn't set up enough harmonics to vibrate a barrel adversely- I have to disagree with that one whole-heartedly.
    Check out all the barrel tuning device talk at rimfire central. That heavy bull-barrel dampens vibration enough to make a diffeence.

Just as a point of interest, and maybe a hint towards the relevancy for us everyday shooters, of this discussion- I've completely backed out (removed) the barrel tuning screw from my repro 52 Sporting- I'm not a good enough shot to take advantage of it.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thank you guys!...and i like the term: ''Minute Of Squirrel''!!! :lol: (MOS)...
    ''MOA'': accuracy term for shooters and ''MOS'' for hunters!
    Thanks

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Doc: That's interesting about the Winny tests. Thanks for the info. Yes, Winchester's were very good barrels, indeed. Still, I don't think that a "Heavy" barrel is necessarily a buy-in on accuracy. Too many other factors. I also believe that harmonics have quite a bit to do with accuracy in a rimfire. I had an old Model 44US Mossberg that I would "tune" before each silhouette match I used it in. It was amazing what a little tension on that tuner screw would do to the grouping. ~Andrew

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Credit for the Minute Of Squirrel phrase should go to Mr. Squacks- IIRC, he was the first to use it, way back when, on the old Marlin Talk Wire.

Andrew- The reasoning behind removing the bbl tuning screw is this:

As long as I'm shooting match-grade ammo, best results are with zero tension on the tuning screw. I haven't thrown the screw away- it may come in handy with the max speed hyper-velocity stuff, if I ever get the inclination to try them.... velocitors, predators (?), etc. etc.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

-Winston S. Churchill

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Doc: I was just commenting on Harmonics. My old Mossey shot best with Green Tag and some tension on the screw. It was like "dial -a-group" and pretty neat to watch the group evolve.~Andrew

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links