+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Think'n about a Marlin 883 in .22mag, looking for opinions

Gunfighter
    Member #

Think'n about a Marlin 883 in .22mag, looking for opinions

HI all,
    Decisions, decisions. I have re-discovered .22's again. Every since we got the boy a XT .22mag for Christmas and I fired a few rounds through it, it has me sorta itchin to get a .22 again. I have not had one since I was a kid. But man, it sure brings back memories and they are fun to shoot. (and cheap!)
    I have been look'n at various models and styles and I really like the looks of the Marlin 883, wood stock, tube feed magazine in a .22mag caliber. Maybe a stainless model, but the standard blued models look pretty darn nice. The things I like are bolt action, tube feed mag and the look of some of those wood stocks are just plain handsome. Will use it for plinking, hunting small game and varmits.
    Asking to see if anyone has any experience or heard any good or bad about them? I found one negative comment about a loose mag tube that fell out, but did not seem to see a whole lot out there on the 883's. Any thoughts from any one? Does anyone know if the receiver is tapped for a scope or does it have the groves you have to use to mount a scope on it?
    Appreciate any input and thanks in advance.
    Ron
    Bellingham, Washington

US Navy Retired

"Trust....but Verify" President Ronald Reagan

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Congrats. I have an 882 and a new to my 980. I shot a 10-22 for years. And just in the last year or two. Moved on to the 22 mag. Cost more to shoot but i love it so much more i will still use my 10-22 but from the rare outing with them prefer the 22mag
    Both of mine is groved
    Mountain Hunter likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Evening Ron,

I have a 983 in 22 mag and love it. I believe the 883 and 983 are now older models and the new XT series are the current product offerings. You may be able to find either an 883 or 983 used out there or a new 983 from old inventory if you are lucky.

Here's a shot of my 983.

I love the walnut and blued steel and am glad I got it. I will admit though that when the weather gets drizzly and wet out, I grab my 981TS (22LR) stainless/composite stock and take it out instead of the walnut/blued steel.

Both are great fun and pretty inexpensive to shoot.

Best of luck with your new rifle!

Regards, TallGrass

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I had a 783 for a long, long time (80's early) -- it has always worked great!

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Tallgrass,
    Beautifull set of rifles! Look at the furniture on that 983 you posted a picture of, awesome. Thats what I am talking about. However I do live on the wet side of Washington state and where we live it rains a little more than average. So most of our days out in the woods do experience a tad bit of rain to a lot of rain. It would probably make sense for me to get something like your 981TS. My son has that synthetic stock going, but I just can't get warmed up to it. Maybe a stainless barrel and wood stock, I will have to do research and see if they made anything like that.
    How is the trigger pull on your 983?
    Ron
    Bellingham, Washington

US Navy Retired

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Might what to check out Gunbroker. There is a 882 GL in Bellingham up for auction right now. I've got it on my watch list and it looks real nice, and as it's in your town you can probably go take a gander at it.

Actually just for sale @ $275, probably can talk them down a bit. Please buy it before I get myself in trouble with the boss....
    Last edited by BoiseHunter; 01-13-2012 at 09:25 PM.
    Mike

1978 Marlin 39M
    1989 Marlin 336CS 30-30
    Sako Finnwolf .308
    Howa Ranchland .223
    Ruger Red Label 20ga. o/u
    Breda 12ga. o/u
    Franchi Featherweight 20ga. semi auto
    Ruger Security Six SS 2 3/4"bbl .357 mag

"You know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill"

Deadeye
    Member #
    Evening Mountain Hunter,

Thanks for the compliments on the rifles. The triggers are fine on both rifles. I have not felt the need to upgrade them and don't expect to as they work well for me. I have never measured the pull weights or messed with them other than to shoot the rifles. Both are wonderfully accurate and a blast to shoot.

I use the Birchwood-Casey product called Barricade (formerly Sheath) on all my firearms for protection of the metal surfaces and really have never had a problem with the blued guns so I am probably over cautious with respect to carrying them out in the more inclement weather. In the summer here in NC it will get to 100+ degrees outside with matching humidity and the blued firearms are subjected to condensation whenever you take one outside out of the AC. I carry a cloth and simply wipe the gun down after a few moments outside and they do fine.

Hope you find a good one for yourself.

Regards, John

When it is raining out and I just cant sit inside, well I grab the stainless 981 and go enjoy a walk in the woods .

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Mountain,
    Ditto with Tallgrass. I am very traditional and I prefer wood, unless I get a great deal. I have the same synthetic gun Tallgrass has except in .22 mag. Very nice gun and I purchased it about 2 years ago with a Bushnell scope for about $225. Like I said great deal and the .22 mag is more expensive but not like the big rifle cartridges. I forgot but my model # is 882 for the mag. I also like the clip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "And some like two guns. But one's all you need if you can use it..." - Shane

Co-Captain Team .22 Magnum.....#002
    Team .30-30.....# 572
    Team .45-70.....# 180
    Team .38-55.....# 9
    Team 1984.....# 119
    Team 39A.....# 261
    NRA Life Member

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseHunter View Post
    Might what to check out Gunbroker. There is a 882 GL in Bellingham up for auction right now. I've got it on my watch list and it looks real nice, and as it's in your town you can probably go take a gander at it.

Actually just for sale @ $275, probably can talk them down a bit. Please buy it before I get myself in trouble with the boss....

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out tonight, but not sure I can save you from the dreaded marlinitis . Tomorrow me and a buddy are headed down to Monroe, Wa for a gun show, might see something there also. Selection is usually good, however price sometimes seems to be high.
    Ron
    Bellingham, Washington

US Navy Retired

Contributing Member
    Member #
    have an 882L --laminate--takes care of the weather problem.....nice rifle and accurate....

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links