+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

repair or replace? Glenfield

I picked up a Glenfield model 60 with the squirrel on the stock. I used it a few time but it always gave me a bunch of trouble. 1) the inner magazine tube is aluminum rather than brass and doesnt slide in very smoothly. 2) the sight assembly is held on to the muzzle with a set screw and the magazine tube is held on at the muzzle end by a pin that is pushed thru the Sight assembly. the set screw will not hold and as it loosens, the magazine tube slides forward and it just quits feeding. Has anyone managed to fix this?

Is this thing worth fixing? should I just trash it?
    P1010146.jpg
    Glad I found this sight. I have another marlin GA22 which I use frequently.

Thanks

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    A little blue thread locker on the set screw will sort that problem. Do not use red.
    Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #
    I certainly wouldn't trash it. If you don't want it any longer, send it to me!
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Welcome from Abilene and Goldthwaite, TX! John
    "Windage and elevation, Mrs Langdon. Always remember, windage and elevation!" John Wayne as John Henry Thomas in The Undefeated

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Any 60 is worth fixing. For the mag tube, try removing it and using toothpaste on a microfiber cloth or rag. Rub the toothpaste up and down until it gets tacky. It will shine up the outside of the tube. Then rinse it off in the sink and dry. Get a can of compressed air, from the grocery store or office supply place and blow out the tube that the mag tube slides into. It should slide back in, nice and smooth unless it is bent. Mine is brass, so I polished it with silver polishing cloth. Now it's shiny and slippery!

You can also put a bit of Elmer's glue on the underside of the front sight. It only needs to be just strong enough to keep it in place, but not so strong you can't ever get it off, if you wanted to.
    Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    As long as you've got it taken down that far, check the inner and outer tubes for bends, roll them on a flat surface and see. I wax the tubes and clean them every so often, a patch on a loop jag removes a lot of crud. If I had that problem with that assembly, I'd carefully set the thing up in drill press or mill and drill a dimple into the barrel through the set screw hole. It wouldn't move after that. Don't try it with a hand drill. If you were really careful and had the location exactly spotted, you could file a flat to accomplish the same thing.

Stan S.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thanks for the responses and all the help. I just put it back together and it seems to be working ok. I'll know better when I take it to the range.

I checked the tubes and cleaned out the outer tube. It was dirty. I could see a bump inside the outer tube so I took a rattail file to it and smoothed it out. Reassembling the outer tube to the sight assembly and to the barrel is a tricky operation. Theres a pin that has to go through the sight assembly and lock the magazine tube in place. the magazine tube has to be turned just right so the pin slides through a notch in the top of the magazine tube and locks it. if its not just right, you end up with bumps on the inside of the magazine tube that bind the inner tube and need to be taken out with a rattail file. Anyone know here I could get a brass inner tube? the aluminum one seems too soft.

Thanks again all. I'll let you know how it goes next time at the range. Now I need to go work on the M1.

Rick

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links