+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: FIELD TEST - New REM/Marlin Bolt action, XT 22MR - Quality and Scope Mounting

Gunfighter
    Member #

FIELD TEST - New REM/Marlin Bolt action, XT 22MR - Quality and Scope Mounting

Last week we bought a new in box Marlin XT-22MR from our local dealer, despite everything we have been reading. The XT was made in Mayfield, Ky, I think that this has been an existing Remington factory. I thoroughly inspected the rifle prior to purchase, no issues that I could see. Fit and finish were OK. I also had some .22 mag snap caps, that they did not object to cycling through for me (clerk did it, I watched) all worked well. At the same time we bought scope base and scope rings for a 3X9 we already had at home.
    Took it home and me and the boy field striped it for cleaning, I did not see any metal shavings, etc. Normal manufacturing residue, some excess oil, nothing I would consider abnormal. Barrel, needed cleaning, again oil deposits, looked good. Put everything back together and had my son start cycling the bolt, it quickly loosened up and is nice and smooth. Loaded the mag full of snap caps (it came with 4 and 7 round mags) again my son started cycling rounds through, no issues, no binding, all good so far.
    Removed receiver scope mounting screws (4) cleaned and preped the holes/threads prior to mounting scope bases with Blue Lock Tite. We used Marlin 900 series scope mounting bases,Style "Blue" for Marlin Rimfire and went with Weaver, 1" Dia, Size "High" scope rings. This set up gives us enough clearance over the rear open sights and allows for the bolt removal. The weaver size-Med scope rings were just not high enough to get the bolt out. Cheek weld and eye relief is still very good in my opinion.
    Today we took it out in the hills to run some ammo through it and to start getting it zero'd in. My son fired about 30 rounds through today, that was all the time we had. Only took a few minutes to get the scope fairly close at 50 yds while shooting off my Jeep hood as a make shift gun rest. Gun preformed flawlessly, no miss fires, no failed ejections, no rounds failed to chamber, we tried both 4 and 7 round mags, no issues. The "PRO-FIRE" trigger is pretty damn nice, it is adjustable, and supposed to be set at 3lbs from the factory, it feels good. I would sure like to have that type of trigger pull on my 336.
    My son is a happy camper and I think the gun will turn out to be pretty good, but I hate the synthetic stock. It just feels fleemsly to me, not sure, I have only had wood gun stocks up till now. Maybe it will grow on me, but I doubt it. We bought the gun to work on my son's shooting skills (and mine)
    and it should do the job just fine. At the end of our first test, we were starting to get some decent groups. It is sure going to be cheaper than practicing with the 336's 30-30! Pictures below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ron
    Bellingham, Washington

US Navy Retired

"Trust....but Verify" President Ronald Reagan

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Beautiful rifle and happy to hear the good report on it. I like the composite stock.

And yes, there is a huge difference in the cost of .22 Mag. vs. 30-30.
    Bill Tolle
    Marlin Team 60 member #19
    Model 60W
    Model 60SB
    Model 336W

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Ron,

Can you put some expanding foam in the back end of the stock to take away the hollow sound and feel you don't like? I'm assuming that is what you don't like.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I have been looking at this gun, or the Savage Mark II. It's nice to get a good report about a Marlin gun made by Remington.
    "Quando omni flunkus moritati"
    (When all else fails, play dead)

Team 30-30 #211
    Marlin 336W 30-30
    Nikon ProStaff 3x9 40 Scope
    Warne Rings & Mount

Marlin 795 22LR w/Tech Sights

Wrangler
    Member #
    If it's made in Kentucky it has to be good, doesn't it? lol

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I guess I am old school. If it doesn't have a real wood stock, it is not for me.
    Each One, Teach One

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Ron,

Can you put some expanding foam in the back end of the stock to take away the hollow sound and feel you don't like? I'm assuming that is what you don't like.
    Not sure if you could or not. That is not why I don't like it, I grew up with wood, all of the rifles that my dad and uncles had that I admired all had deep, dark, rich looking wood them. That is just how I associate guns that I like, my son is the opposite, he loves the synthetic stock and I am happy for him that he has a gun he likes. There is good news for all of us, for you that like synthetic stocks, you will not have me competing with you to buy them, and I assume you won't be buying up all the classic wood stock guns.
    Ron
    Bellingham, Washington

US Navy Retired

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    love the 22 magnum round...congrats!

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Green View Post
    I have been looking at this gun, or the Savage Mark II. It's nice to get a good report about a Marlin gun made by Remington.
    Hey Red,
    We have a few hundred rounds thru this XT now and no issues, it is a all day shooter. I don't get to shoot it much cause the boy is all over it. He is still learning and practicing, but it seems pretty accurate from the few times I have got my hands on it. Although it did not like the faster, but smaller 30gn ammo, shoots much better with the 40gn ammo. For the price, which was pretty reasonable, I think it is a good value. You can't wrong with the Savage as I think their trigger is a tad better, but the isn't the Savage a few more bucks also? There are many things in the XT that I was looking for, such as the receiver being threaded for scope mounting and that adjustable trigger is nice. We have left it at the factory setting and it was right on the money. The only advice I can offer that with a cloud hanging over Marlin/Remington right now, I would advise a complete inspection prior to walking out of the store to make sure all is right with the rifle.
    Ron
    Bellingham, Washington

US Navy Retired

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Is the barrel floated on the synthetic stocks? I'd think it should be, but who knows? It'd be one less thing to mess around with.
    Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links