+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

What was it like, when you were a kid?

.22 long rifle cost $0.01 a shot, when I was a kid.

When I first came out to Idaho, for college, I hunted between the towns of Bovill (you can put the word "cow-town" in Latin and it still won't sound glamorous) and Deary, in National Forest. Well, it's still called national forest, only there's no forest left. It was all clearcut years ago. Those beautiful, moss-covered glens are now baked and dry. I found a bear skull in there, once and saw a mature grizzly, that about scared yesterday's dinner out of me. Bigger than I thought, from TV. I found my first morels in there and shot my first grouse. In Bovill, there's a place called Moose Creek Reservoir. I caught my first rainbow trout, on that small lake. Now it's a mud puddle, from the un-mitigated runoff, from the clearcuts.

No CDs or DVDs. No one I knew owned a computer and cable television was just getting going.

What wasn't here, when you were a kid?
    Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Platinum Poster
    Member #

Re: What was it like, when you were a kid?

Well cable tv, color tv. all the new electronics.. we had party line telephone .. coal heat was all I knew.. no AC... or McDonalds.. ..
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

We didn't have electricity (for real) until I was in high school but all the kids had 22's and a box of shorts was 44 cents. Mostly we shot rabbits as they were thick in KS during the mid 1950s. Obviously with no electricity, we had outdoor plumbing that in the winter was 40 yards too far and in the summer was 50 yards too close We had one battery operated radio and we gathered as a family to listen to shows like "Fibber McGee and Molly", "The Great Gildersleeve", and "Jack Benny Show". We did a lot more things by the rise and fall of the sun than we did by the clock on the wall. Pheasant hunting was a community affair and you could hunt about any place you wanted to AS LONG AS YOU ASKED PERMISSION! Leases for hunting were unheard of and hunters knew about good manners. When Dad let someone hunt on our 720 acres, the hunter(s) would generally stop by the house with a couple of birds for us. Some parts of central KS are still like that, but some parts have lost all sense of politeness and propriety.
    By the way, gas was about 18 cents a gallon for regular (only the rich folks burned "ethyl"), a movie (sometimes double feature) was 12 cents for 12 and under and two bits (remember that term?) for adults. Dad bought a new Win Model 12 for $55 and it came with a coupon good for 100 clay pigeons and a hand thrower (I still have all of that in the original packing). I bought a new Ford Falcon in 1961 (with the big 170 cu in 6 cyl and oversized tires) for $1500. Of course the going wage for farm help was $200/month with room and board during wheat harvest -- rest of the year, $5/day was pretty good. Oh, and I met and married my wife of over 49 1/2 years before I was 21 -- she helped me finish college by working for 75 cents/hour in a dress shop! Thanks for this thread -- helped me remember some really good times! John
    "Windage and elevation, Mrs Langdon. Always remember, windage and elevation!" John Wayne as John Henry Thomas in The Undefeated

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

My grandmother told me about when there were no airplanes. I used to wonder what the sky would look like with NO contrails in it. September 11 fixed that. It's quiet... She told me about the lady who coincidentally became my boss, 45 years later, driving across the country alone, when there was no interstate highway system. She drove from Spokane Washington to central Florida, for a pest control conference, in the 1930s or 40s. After graduation, I went to work for Senske pest control. When Mom told grand mom I was working for a pest control company, in Spokane, she said "Not Senske?". That's how we found out about the coincidence.

One of my first email addresses was David@msn.com. Back in the day, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth!

Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Member #

Born and raised in Alaska, for the first 4 years it wasn't a state yet, but don't remember much about that. Typical hunting rig growing up was a wooden riverboat with a lift for the motor. There wasn't the toy class warfare thing like today. Back then if you wanted a riverboat you got the plywood and built it yourself. They were long and slender, maybe 24' or more with a 40" bottom and could haul out 2 bull moose with a 33 hp Evinrude. Nowadays it takes a 500+ cubic inch V8 in a jetboat or airboat to do basically the same thing! Only these new rigs cost 60 grand.. :P
    There were 20 telephone wires stretched down the Alcan hwy left over from WW2 that served the whole state for telephone communications "outside". Used to have to call in your request to RCA and wait hours for the operator to call back with a line out. Then you had to shout or nobody at the other end could hear! We had 2 radio stations and 2 TV. All the TV shows came 3 weeks after they were seen in the states so we watched Christmas shows in mid Jan. The tv news hour was put on Pan Am and we saw it the next evening.. Never knew what fresh corn tasted like until many many years after eating frozen, and at first didn't care for it! Can you imagine?

Giving everything we have now, all the internet activity, email, cell phones, and I would trade it all away to live back then again.. Funny how "progress" makes one nostalgic.
    1895 45-70 GS, 1894 45 Colt
    Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. Henry 22LR Frontier
    Rossi M-92 454 Casull

"When I hold you in my arms
    and I feel my finger on your trigger
    I know nobody can do me no harm"..

JM, RIP..

Member #

grew up on a small farm near a small town in west tennessee. around age 5 i was able to first shoot a single shot .22 remington( it's standing behind the front door right now) by resting it on a cut off fence post. swept floors and took out trash at the hardware store after school about age 10 or so for a box of .22 short HPs once in a while. my mom worked right up the street and got off about 30 minutes after i got out of school. didn't get my first marlin til i was 16, a 989M2(it's in the safe). family got a B&W TV when i was 11 and indoor plumbing and running water in the house when i was 12. that part i don't miss. if i took three shells to the woods i better bring home 2 or more squirrels. could shoot rabbits from the front porch late in the afternoon and get a limit between the house and the end on the 100 yd long driveway. when i went in the AF at age 19 this farm kid got to travel to places i had never heard of, never dreamed of, and some i never wanted to go back to. came back here after 30 years and now hunt some of the same woods i did back then. ain't near as many squirrels or rabbits, but it brings back memories every fall when i go sit in the woods. thanks for starting this thread and bringing back those memories. lee

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Born and raised in Tampa Fla. Lived down in that area till I was 45 then IBM moved me to North Carolina. Anyway, I lived in Ybor City, we had screened windows and doors, didn't lock them when we went to work and school. Ceiling fans at first then we got one of the new fangled 60 inch WHOLE HOUSE attic fans with a mechanical timer that would stay on or time down for about an hour or two. When the old lady next door sneezed my mom or dad would say softly, "SALUD," Spanish for GOD BLESS YOU, and the old lady would say, "Gracias". I remember the first phone when you had to turn the crank to start it up but it wasn't too long before we got the fancy rotary dial phone - -but you had to pick up the phone and check to see if anybody else was using the party line. I walked to elementary and junior high school because even after they had school buses we were too close - two blocks to elementary school and TWO MILES to junior high. We would gather up our friends as we walked and the town feared the gang of 15 - 20 kids walking, singing, playing "TAG" as we made our way to school. Can you imagine the kids today walking two miles to school?! You would never dream of not going to school. First of all there was Mr Hernandes who looked like Mr Clean and carried a two foot long paddle in his back pocket - and - then you got it again when you got home after the Principal got hold of your mom and dad on the rotary phone. We were the first family to get a TV and it had a ROUND screen - and it was Black n White of course! Later on dad came home with a new Admiral TV and it was Color and the screen was only partly round. We had 78RPM records - MONO was just fine - until we got STEREO and we thought 33 1/3 records were the coolest sound. Doctor Martinez would come to the house any time one of us got sick and it was amazing all the stuff he carried around in that black bag.

As I grew up I used to ride my Schwinn Tank bicycle, no gears on those things, just pure leg power all over Ybor City and Tampa as far as West Tampa and Sulphur Springs. No one ever worried about me getting into trouble or getting hurt. Some times I would ride out on a Saturday morning and go all around town visiting cousins, aunts, and uncles. I would put 25 to 50 miles on that bike on a good day. Go see my cuzzin Manual at Sulphur Springs and go swimming there in the springs or go to the Hillsborough River Dam and fish. Went as far as the Causeway that connected Tampa to Clearwater and go swimming in the Bay while we watched the four prop TWA Constellations with the three tails flying out from Tampa Airport out over the bay. McDill Air Force Base was also on my route riding along Bay Shore Drive out to the base and watching the B36 bombers lumber across the sky. Later we had the B52's and Strike Command right there at the base.

I remember when gas hit 25 cents my dad said it was outrageous. People with pickup trucks drove around with a rifle or two hanging across the rear window even in a city like Tampa. When dad got a new job as the Elementary Schools Supervisor in Polk County we moved to Winter Haven where I attended and graduated from High School. When I drove around town while in high school from 1961 to 64 gas was less than .35 cents a gallon. A new Mustang cost you $1500. At McDonalds they made real hamburgers, not the stuff they make today, a hamburger was 15 cents and you got a cheeseburger, fries, and a coke for 33 cents. They had a big 33 on top of the Golden Arches. A good job in 1964 made you about $6000 a year. Those were tough days back then - - - - too bad we had to grow up into this world today . . . . . . .

GB45
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it away."
    "Now that Obama won again we shall see if this statement becomes reality" GB45

Marlin League #30
    Team 1894 #5
    Team .30-30 #261
    Team .35 #329
    Team 39 #174
    Team .45-70 # 303
    Team Old Pharts #51
    Team 336SSLTD

Wrangler
    Member #

Not even counting firearms, we had other toys that could kill!
    Clem
    USMC & LEO Retired
    NRA Benefactor Member
    DAV Life Member
    VVA Life Member

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    B. Franklin

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

My Dad was on the rifle team, in his junior high. He "was required to" bring his rifle to school, as the school did not provide rifles. Therefore, he and all the other boys, on his team had to bring their guns in the front door (bolts and magazines out) and give them to the teacher, to put in the coat closet.

This was after they had walked to school or rode the bus, with a gun, on their back.

Ernest Hemingway

Gunfighter
    Member #

Well, I could pretty much copy and paste papajohnnabi's post, replace pheasant with quail and be done. No pheasant in SE KS and back when I was a kid deer and turkey were unheard of in KS. I wish that there were no deer and turkey in KS now.
    NRA Life Member

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links