+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Marlin model 99-m1 .22 rifle

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I just got 2 Marlin 99 M-1 .22 rifles from my Dad. One is nice - all complete including the rear sight. All and all nice little rifle. The second as the squirrel carved in the walnet stock - but the stock is damaged - broke through the pistal grip and the rear sight is gone. The blueing is poor - Both rifles are tube fed 22 long rifle. I plan to keep the complete one original - and since the other - shhot good - but is in poor condition - modify for a "behind the seat truck rifle". I ordered a set of front and rear sights from TECH sights - Erik from tech suppoer called me and we measured and we think these sights will work - thay are in the mail shipment to me - I will install next week.
    As far as stock - I am thinking of the ATI synthetic light weight one. Any idea if the ATI (Advanced Technology Internalional) stock will fit? Internet info states fits Models 60,75,990,995 I habe read the 99 M-1 is a variation of the 60. Any help is arrpeciated. Thanks,

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Finished my 99 M-1 .22 last night. The GI type Tech Sights made for the model 60 & 795 - worked great for the rear dovetail - front sight - required to be tapped and then it is good to go. I needed to cut and shorten the ATI stock for the shorter barrel and tube magazine. I cut and super glued - then no problem. I will shoot and see how this little rifle performs - looks good .

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Can anyone help me with finding an owner's manual for a Model 99M1? If so please reply here or email me at DennisDJ2494@aol.com. Thanks a bunch. Any information will be appreciated, as it does not look like a Model 60 inside.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I downloaded one off the net. I have six Marlin 22's but my favorite is my Model 99M1.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/m...ad_RF_Tube.pdf
    US Army 1953-1977
    It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.
    Justice Robert H. Jackson

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Re: Marlin model 99-m1 .22 rifle

I am new to the forum and wish to say hello to all the members. I was extremely pleased to find this forum and other enthusiasts who have an appreciation for this fine little rifle.

My m1-22 was the first rifle I ever acquired. My dear wife gave it to me for our first anniversary in 1971. It was purchased at Otasco for $78.00 complete with a Weaver 22 tip-off scope and mount. I went back and bought a nice tooled leather sling which I fitted for off hand sling shooting and laced it up with a leather shoestring, making it perfect and permanent as a carry sling also. I still have the Marlin and the beautiful wife that gave it to me, and have had a love affair with both ever since.

The front site was a pot metal blade, banded around the barrel and secured with a set screw. It was tacky and would not stay on target short of glueing it on. The rear site had to be removed to accommodate the scope and mount so the front site was removed as well. They are both long gone. I sighted it in on a 1/2" dot on a telephone pole dead on at about 50'. Had no clue what I was doing but luckily the rifle was deadly to seemingly unreasonable distances. If I shot it I hit it. The m1-22 has had literally thousands of rounds through it, accompanied me in a gun rack or behind the seat of my pickup for many years. It shows some wear but still has the Walnut Stock, sticker on the underside of the forend, and though the stock has some scratches and dings from many years of use still looks pretty good and could easily be restored. The trigger guard has a chunk out of it beside the rear screw and the barrel has some rust on it from years of neglect. No matter how well I clean it this rifle will no longer function well as it stovepipes about every round and the scope is cloudy and unusable. I have semi retired this little friend but have hopes of bringing it back to life. I have seen that Marlin still makes a model very similar to this but has a longer barrel and mag tube. I have considered retrofitting a new rifle into the old stock. Can anyone tell me if this is even a possible option? Or, does anyone have a better idea? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.
    Last edited by KSBob; 08-19-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Wrangler
    Member #
    All of the problems you describe are easily fixable. The feed and ejection problems could well be fixed just with a thorough cleaning. If that doesn't do it you can install the feed throat upgrade kit and a new style bolt. The stock can be refinished easily enough and the barrel and receiver cleaned and refinished. All for less than the cost of a new Model 60.

You could drop a new Model 60 into that stock with little trouble. The new style trigger guard will require some fitting or you can use the old trigger and it will work just fine. The Model 60 barrel is just 1 inch longer that the one you have so it should be no big deal. The mag tube is longer so the look will be a little different.
    Team 60 #178
    Marlin Model 336, 30-30
    Glenfield Model 60, 22lr
    Marlin Model 795, 22lr
    Marlin Model 989M2, 22lr
    Henry Model H001, 22lr
    Savage Mod. 840 30-30
    Excel .410 SHOTGUN ca. 1925

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me where I can get the feed throat upgrade kit and the new style bolt? Or are these parts available through Marlin?

Wrangler
    Member #
    All the parts are available from Brownells or Midwayusa and probably directly form Marlin. Marlin's pricing might be more favorable. You can usually find the new style bolt on ebay from $25.00 and up. Be sure you get the one with the square cut channel on the right (ejection port) side. Don't go by the description; look at the pictures. If they don't have a clear picture of the underside of the bolt pass on it. Depending on the exact model that the bolt came from, you may also need a new charging handle or be prepared to narrow the one you have. Occasionally they are sold as a pair.
    Team 60 #178
    Marlin Model 336, 30-30
    Glenfield Model 60, 22lr
    Marlin Model 795, 22lr
    Marlin Model 989M2, 22lr
    Henry Model H001, 22lr
    Savage Mod. 840 30-30

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Oh man!...I've got to get me one of these rifles now!!!
    Team 30-30 #323
    Team 39 #76
    Team shotgun #10

"Where I live, Our houses are protected by the Good Lord & a gun, and you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son!"

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by FireManDan View Post
    Oh man!...I've got to get me one of these rifles now!!!
    They're sweet looking and sweet shooting. I have the 989M2 which is the same basic rifle with a box magazine feed rather than the tubular magazine. It is lightweight, easy to handle and has classic carbine looks. I wish Marlin would revive them. Maybe a Model 60M1 and companion 795M2? Are you listening Marlin?
    Team 60 #178
    Marlin Model 336, 30-30
    Glenfield Model 60, 22lr
    Marlin Model 795, 22lr
    Marlin Model 989M2, 22lr
    Henry Model H001, 22lr
    Savage Mod. 840 30-30

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links