+ Reply to Thread

Deadeye
    Member #

Marlin Model 29 .22LR Pump

Saw this at the local slobber shop. Butt is loose and repaired with a brass bolt transversely through the wrist. Action (a takedown?) loose as well. Is it worth $169? Is it restorable? Are parts available from some source? Yes, this isn't logical. ops:
    Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." R. L. Stevenson

Shooting with Hobie

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Magazine parts are awfully hard to come by for the old Marlin pumps.

I think it's Bob's Gun Shop that carries new replacement walnut stocks for the older Marlin pumps. Wisner's should carry some of the innards. both have web-sites- my bookmarks got dumped, so no links. Dogpile will locate 'em.

If it were me, I'd probly try to rescue it, if the bore looks shootable, but I got a soft spot for old rimfire pumps. Try and get more info if ya can- is the bbl round or octagon? Model # can usually be found on the upper tang, just like the old Marlin levers.

The transverse bolt is a little worrisome, depending on where they put it. Hope it ain't too close to the hammer spring....

I'd of course try and lower that price. With the surgery it's had, and going to need, it sure ain't a collector's piece...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Deadeye
    Member #

Doc,

Thanks. I didn't have time enough to check the model but it is a round barrel. I'll go back this morning and get more particulars. Might make a good project IF the bore is good. I like .22 pumps.
    Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." R. L. Stevenson

Shooting with Hobie

Deadeye
    Member #

Doc,

Looked at the gun again. It is a Model 29, round barrel of about 20" (didn't have my tape measure ops: ). Of course it is a take down and that screw was a bit loose and would tighten. Somebody has filled the original sight dovetail and then cut a new one and installed another open sight. The bore looks ok from what I could see but I was unable to take it down and examine from the chamber in which is what I would have preferred. The hammer/main spring seems very weak. The transverse screw (not bolt ops: ) was apparently meant to squeeze the stock tight to the tangs and is about dead center front to back and top to bottom between the tangs. The stock is still goosey loose. The front sight appears to be original.

Price on this bad boy is $169 or $155 cash only no trade.
    Sincerely,

Hobie

Shooting with Hobie

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

If there is still some tension on the hammer spring, then they didn't drill through it. If the chamber looks okay, it may be worth going after. I'm pretty sure Wisner's carries a replacement hammer spring- best to check before deciding. Some of the older Marlin pumps have light tension on this spring- to ease the cycling operation. The hammer spring tension on my model 20 seems a little light compared to that of my 39-A. I can't remeber if the 29 still used a flat leaf type spring- probly did.

These old pump guns pre-date high velocity ammo, and should only be shot with standard velocity, or slower fodder. Something to consider when making your decision. Has someone shot the 29 with the high velocity stuff? The probability is there. These oldies were incredibly well made- most likely with all the tight tolerances fitted and set up by hand.
    They could with-stand the high velocity ammo, but for how long? We don't know how many shots it will take to crack the bolt....

Good luck deciding. Try and post on the collector's page here- the guys there can give you info on production dates. There are take down/disassembly instructions in Big Bill's Marlin History book....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Deadeye
    Member #

Thanks Doc.
    Sincerely,

Hobie

Shooting with Hobie

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    can anyone help me find a hammer spring for a mod 29

Deadeye
    Member #
    Welcome to MO weaponx308, here's a start

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

Drop by the Intro section and introduce yourself. Folks here are happy to help when they can.

Regards, TallGrass

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links