+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

New Marlin 39a opinions

Hey everybody Im new here. Im looking at getting a Marlin 39a. I have about $500 saved up, and was all set out to buy a new one but I decided to do some reaserch first. looking online some forums are saying the new Marlins have feeding/ejecting/extracting issues and are poor quality. Is this true? I hear many people saying the old ones are better, but I rarely see them for sale at gunstores and the ones I do see are more expensive than new ones. Also, I have read online that they get under an inch groups at 100yrds with good ammo, is this true for the new ones? I really dont want to spend all that money and get a junk gun. Thanks

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: New Marlin 39a opinions

First off, Welcome To The Forum.

The new guns coming out of Ilion have been pretty disappointing, by all accounts so far. Fit and finish issues, sloppy tolerances, yada yada yada. I'd pass on ANY gun, new or used, that I couldn't inspect first. I just found a used 1983 model a couple weeks ago, after six months of casual looking, and would suggest you bide your time and wait for a nice used one to come along.

As for accuracy.............I'll just say that Marlin has always made VERY good barrels.
    "There is a fine line between a hobby and Mental Illness". Dave Barry

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847
    Team 375 #27

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Ok thanks. Its too bad Remington bought up Marlin. Looks like Ill have to go to some gunshows to look for a used 39. What would you say is a fair price for a used one in good condition? Anything I should look out for for on a used one? Thanks

Member #

Basically (this is just me talking, and I'm certainly no expert on anything) I'd look for something made before 2006 or so, and while prices vary by where you are, I think $500-550 would be a fair price range for a gently used gun with a few minor dings. But sometimes you get lucky and find a closet queen for $350.............it apparently happens now and then. Just not to me.

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847
    Team 375 #27

Sidewinder
    Member #

papajohn, it happend to me last week and I balked, now I'm kicking myself for it. 1981 39a Golden in supurb condition for $439. Now the hunt is on!

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Campingman
    papajohn, it happend to me last week and I balked, now I'm kicking myself for it. 1981 39a Golden in supurb condition for $439. Now the hunt is on!
    I have to ask..............what's more sore, your keister, or the foot you're using to kick it?

As the Chinese say, people are "Too soon old and too late smart". Hindsight is God's way of telling us we're not as bright as we think we are!

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847
    Team 375 #27

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

OhioHunter,

I have been following Model 39 prices, at least what the asking prices and listing prices are. For some reason Models 39s are pretty expensive and they don't seem to depreciate as fast as other lever actions. A new rifle will cost $550 to $600 and used rifles seem to run about $100 to $150 less. That doesn't mean a nice one can't be found for say, $300 to $400. Those are deals that I never run across , but others have .

It seems that many of the newer models with the safety have problems failing to feed and/or failing to fire. I have two with the safety and mine function well. There are fixes for FTF and FTE problems on this site.

Good luck with your search,
    -Bob George
    Team 39 #36
    Team Express #17
    Team 35 #175
    Team 45-70 #392
    Team 1894 #128

Wrangler
    Member #

I've had better luck at gun shows by standing out side watching what people bring in to sell. Most gun show dealers are higher than most gun shops.

Sidewinder
    Member #

i have a new 39a i got last year and have had no problems with it i have about 3000 rounds in it and only a few ftf and im putting all them on old ammo never had a fte. i have never shot at 100 yards but i have killer groups at 25 and 50. got mine nib from smaller gun shop for $500 dont regret it one bit.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Ohiohunter

Shooting a 22 at 100 yards and using 100 yds as a standard to measure the performance of the 22 is misleading. 22's aren't meant for that kind of shooting and trying for, or expecting 1" groups out there is in my opinion pointless. There are just too many variables out there to call testing results of 22 LR at 100 yds useful data. 50 yds is a good stretch of any 22's ability- again IMHO.

A little over a year ago I picked up a slick Golden 39A for $350. A real good gun at a real good price. That's the exception and not the rule. These are good guns and for the most part the people holding on to them know they are worth a bit more. I am on the hunt for a Mountie or a 39 Carbine now- I expect to pay $500 or so for one- after I spend some time in the hunt....

Good luck.

M

I am still clinging to guns and religion.

Life Member, NRA
    Life Member, AMVETs
    Life Member, Military Police Regimental Association

1893, 1894 CS, 1894 CB, 444SS, 39A Golden, 81 DL, 80 DL, Glenfield 30 "SC", 39M Octagon, and a 922M....

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links