Marlin Firearms Forum banner

What do you think of my 1953 Model 39A

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  stans4 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I recently bought a model 39A and I want to know what you guys think about it. It has a K prefix serial which makes it a 1953 (Thanks Schtoolee!) model. I paid $525 which I know is very high and in retrospect was probably too much but it's in such fantastic condition. I really wanted a 1950s vintage 39A and this was the cleanest one I'd seen. However after getting it home I was disappointed to find a few flaws I was too excited to notice earlier.
First of all the butt plate is not original, it's obviously 3rd party. I had noticed very minor pitting on the receiver when I got it, but when I got it home I noticed a small spot of moderately deep pitting on the magazine tube near the tip of the barrel. Despite this, the bluing is excellent shape and there is absolutely no rust. Does this mean it's likely been re-blued?
The stock is in amazing shape. Beautiful deep colored shiny wood, virtually no scratches or dings anywhere. The stock is fit incredibly well with the rifle, I've actually never seen a rifle that had a stock where the wood was absolutely flush with the metal everywhere. It makes the newer Marlins I've seen look sloppy by comparison.
One issue I did have is that when I took it to the range it was having a lot of problems ejecting the ammo I was putting through it. The extractor extracted the round every time but probably 6-7 times out of 10 it wouldn't eject. The ejector and extractor (sorry about the low quality pic) seem in fine shape to me, and furthermore when I cycle unfired rounds through it it ejects every single one no problem so it's only having problems with the empty casings. I assume that it just doesn't like this ammo, but just in case does anyone have troubleshooting advice for this problem?
Finally, what do you guys think? Was it worth it? See any other non original parts? Any and all of your comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Here is the link to my photos on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/61800919@N04/sets/72157626382231231/

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: What do you think of my 1954 Model 39A

I bought a 1952 39A a couple years ago for $565 on GunBroker. Added another $35 for the FFL transfer. I'm not a collector but wanted a J* model like my dad had that was the first rifle I ever shot. I'm sure I spent more than some would have but I wanted it. I wasn't buying it to resell so the cost was less an issue. Except for the bluing wear on the hammer, I'd put the rifle at about 98%. It was all original but missing the site hood, and bullseye. Not sure about your FTE issues but I've found that if I tighten the screen too much, it effects my results. Too tight and it sounds like mechanical junk. Too loose and the bolt pops out. Good Luck on yours!

#5 ·

Nice rifle. And that is what they go for around here. But (K) is a 1953 model, there was no (I)prefix. So that might have thrown you off.

I have a 1954 (L) Mountie that I bought from my dad for $80. In almost new condition.

Looking at the ejector, it looks pointed. It should have more of a squared off end. This might be the problem.

#6 ·

@Schtoolee - thanks for the info! I'll edit the post to reflect the correct model year. I appreciate the tip on the ejector too, it is kind of pointed. Maybe I'll need to get a replacement one, not sure where the heck I'll get one that will work for this gun, any ideas?
@Thunderstick - Your 39A is beautiful! Looks more original than mine too, still has the original buttplate and everything. Nice find!

#8 ·
#10 ·
Mine is the same year, yours has better-looking wood. Mine looked like refinished yellow pine. Why do you think the buttplate is aftermarket? White spacers were the thing in those days and any small mismatch between butt and plate is probably due to wood movement. Mine looked the same as that but there was a bump there. Numrich/Gun Parts has had a lot of 39 parts, if you need a buttplate and/or screws for same.

Wood was fitted to each gun by sanding when assembled after inletting, so everything was flush, then the metal was finished. Probably cost extra, so they don't do it that way these days, at least from the looks of newish Marlins.

We just missed the Micro-groove barrels. Still seems to shoot well, though.

As far as your operating problems, have you cleaned the bolt out? .22 crap gets under and in there and may cause some of the trouble you're having. I eventually stripped the action, it's amazing what crud there's in there after a half-century or so. There's a good DVD out there on how to totally take a 39 down. put out by AGI, Midway has had it. They run best when wet, oil it up. There's a lot going on there when you flip the lever open and closed, it needs all the help it can get

Stan S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.