+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Black Death Challenge

Sidewinder
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

[size=24px]Take The Black Death Challenge![/size]

[size=18px]So you can shoot 1/2" groups at 25Yds all day long with your 22LR .....................Well.....Now's your chance to prove it! [/size]

Black Death Challenge Target
    http://www.geocities.com/dasalle1218..._Challenge.pdf
    Black Death Practice Target
    http://www.geocities.com/dasalle1218...Practice24.pdf
    Black Death Ace - 10 In A Row Target
    http://www.geocities.com/dasalle1218/BlackDeath_Ace.pdf

Black Death Challenge Instructions
    The Black Death Challenge Target, which is shot at 25Yds, consist of five targets, white circles on black backgrounds. The white circles range in size from 1 1/2" down to 1/2" and have point values ranging from 1 Point for the largest circle up to 10 Points for the smallest circle. A total of Five shots can be taken at any combination of the five targets. Any shot that cuts the black background surrounding the white circles voids the entire target (i.e. NO Score), thus "The Black Death Target".

So, you can play it conservative and put all five shots into the 1 1/2" circle and earn a big 5 points, OR you can attempt to "Max" the BDT by putting all five shots "Inside" the 1/2" circle and earn your "Order Of the White Feather" designation.

To be considered a valid your "Max" of the BDT must be witnessed and your witness must sign and date the target.

Once you have "Maxed" the BDT, post a copy on this thread so we all can congratulate you and email a copy of your witnessed target along with your name, rifle make, scope used (if any) and ammo used to Uncle Johns Outdoors at fptopgun@bellsouth.net. Once your target is reviewed and approved as a "Max", John will add your name to "The Order Of The White Feather" which was named in honor of Carlos Hathcock.

Here is a link to the latest White Feather Listing. If you are already on this list, let me know your handle (i.e. firstshot) and the number and section where you are located on the list and I will add your handle after your name on the report. (i.e. see #31 Light Squirrel Rifle @ 25 Yds)

Link to official BDT rules @ Star Gun & Archery
    http://www.huntingcentral.net/topgun/bdc_rules.htm

Most Current White Feather List
    http://www.geocities.com/dasalle1218...ther072905.htm

Good luck, have fun, and don't pull too much of your hair out!

firstshot
    --------------------------------------
    Make your first shot count!
    45BearGun and scriptguru like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

Here is a copy of my BDT Max.

firstshot
    ----------------------------

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

I have been looking at posted Black Death Targets for a few years now and frankly, I've seen only a few that really would have scored as a success. Just because there is a strip of white left does not mean that the bullet did not cut the black. Anybody who has shot in target competition knows that what looks like a miss could get bumped to the next higher scoring ring when the proper plug gage is used to mark the hole.

You BDT guys ought to figure out a better system such as five identical bulls for each size, requiring a single shot in each. If you did that then an (inexpensive) NRA .22 scoring plug could be used to judge the veracity of the hit. If you can put 5 shots in a half inch -truly- then you can put one shot each in five, 1/2 inch targets, don't you think?? Just thinking out loud here.... ~Andrew

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    I have been looking at posted Black Death Targets for a few years now and frankly, I've seen only a few that really would have scored as a success. Just because there is a strip of white left does not mean that the bullet did not cut the black.
    I think you are missing the point of the BDT Andrew. It is not a benchrest competition. The way I see it, it is a way for squirrel/small game hunters to improve their shooting- the only thing won is bragging rights, and nothing more. Remember that there is no rear bag allowed in this little game...

I disagree with the idea that white left on the target means cutting black- I shot mine with the target up on a sheet of 3/4" plywood. Your scoring plug would fall through a single hole shot in this manner-due to bullet expansion.

Just some random thoughts from a guy who's done it...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

Doc: I'm just reading the rules of the BDT. AS quoted here, "Any shot that cuts the black background surrounding the white circles voids the entire target." The operative word is "cuts". I take this to mean that every shot must stay entirely inside the white; not just visually appear to do so. The fact that a shot cutting the black will still leave a bit of white paper is not an idle idea of mine -it is a common occurrance in small bore target competition. Take it from someone who's done it.

I am all for fun shooting and tolerance in scoring but when you start talking about who holds what "record" in BDT, is begins to sound like something more than a can plinking fest. When a target is posted showing a max on the BDT the shooter is saying that none of his shots touched the black. If it's "close enough counts" then that's fine with me, but if you really want to get technical about it, I'd have to say that I've witnessed a few posted targets that wouldn't pass the scoring plug test. I'm not tossing rocks here, just making an observation. ~Andrew

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

****Shrugs****

I tell you it ain't a bench-rest competition and you want to throw a bench-rest measuring device at it. Not a lot left to be said there-cept we ain't on the same page... BUT , that's besides the point.

To my way of thinking, cutting black means the bullet cutting through the black, with the target pasted on a proper target board.... I could have maxxed this thing two years ago on a cardboard box- but dirty pool to my way of thinking- smaller holes, no?

I'd like to see what the BDT's creator would say on the subject...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    45BearGun likes this.
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

Doc: It aint a bench rest measuring device. It can't be used for bench rest scoring. It's used in all forms of 22 competition where a target with scoring rings is utilized: Off hand, prone, etc. It's simply used to see if the bullet touched the next higher scoring ring. In the BDT it would verify that the bullet didn't touch the black, that's all. That is the whole object of the game, right? to absolutely not touch the black?

I'm not trying to be anal about this, I was just observing that from a competitive rimfire shooters eye, a few of the BDT "winners" would have been disqualified. It was just an observation. Separate bulls would ease scoring, that's all I'm saying. Personally I don't care one way or the other. Hell, I don't even shoot BDT. Too hard for me.~Andrew

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Super Moderator
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

The problem I have had is that I shoot by my self 99.99% of the time. I shoot at least once a week and usually several times per week. My buddy and I have us a little range set up next to his pond, I actually use it way more than he does. I dont have a range officer or witness to varify my score. And I dont need one. There is a thing called honor, and you either have it or you dont. I have a few of those targets in my pile with 5 shots in the 1/2 inch target, matter of fact I even made me up my own target with about 20 of those on one page to shoot at for the heck of it. If a guy is gonna cheat he is gonna cheat, he can have someone sign his target that didnt see it. I have not sent one in because I wont ask someone to "witness" and sign my target, that they didnt see. I can sleep at night just knowing, that I can do it, and that is good enough for me.

Ranch Dogs postal match for centerfire lever only guns is nice because it is set up on the honor system. Alot of folks dont have the luxery of taking a witness to the range, but they are honest just the same.

Well when I said I shoot by myself most of the time it is not really true, quite often my 5 year old is with me. we go shooting a lot. he is my target , tape, marker, carrier and he even gets to shoot his 22.
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

Just a point of fact here guys. I didn't make up the rules, I just posted them.

Doc Sharptail is absolutely right. The BDT was put together to incourage and challenge squirrel/small game hunters, and the Army guys @ Fort Polk Louisiana, to improve their shooting skills. Its a fun game where the competition is primarilly with yourself.

As far as "cutting" the black is concerned, and since it really is a competition with yourself, thats for each individual to judge for him or herself. That is unless you want to send your target in and get your name on the list, in which case Uncle John (TTG), who invented the game and keeps the list, has the final say and that's good enough for me.

Its a fun game and I'd just assume keep it that way. It is definitely challenging and working to max the BDT will definitely improve your shooting skills just as any serious practice will do. Sure there is a little bit of bragging rights involved, but primarilly the competition is with yourself and the reward is improving your shooting skills and knowing that you've accomplished something.

firstshot
    ----------------------------------

Sidewinder
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

Andrew

These targets were shot the same day. One target was shot with one shot at each bull. The other is 5 shots at each bull. both were shot starting at the top left and working down. I agree that I don't think it makes much difference really if it is one shot per bull or five.

DG
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    I have been looking at posted Black Death Targets for a few years now and frankly, I've seen only a few that really would have scored as a success. Just because there is a strip of white left does not mean that the bullet did not cut the black. Anybody who has shot in target competition knows that what looks like a miss could get bumped to the next higher scoring ring when the proper plug gage is used to mark the hole.

You BDT guys ought to figure out a better system such as five identical bulls for each size, requiring a single shot in each. If you did that then an (inexpensive) NRA .22 scoring plug could be used to judge the veracity of the hit. If you can put 5 shots in a half inch -truly- then you can put one shot each in five, 1/2 inch targets, don't you think?? Just thinking out loud here.... ~Andrew
    You know a guy's time is worth something unless your on welfare"

"Stupidity can be corrected"

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links