+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Black Death Challenge

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Super Moderator
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

Firstshot,
    I didnt mean it to sound as a put down. It is just that for some of us there is almost no way to get a witness to sign the target. as a matter of fact, I'm heading out tomorrow at first light and will most likely spend most of the morning out shooting. everything from 22 to 45-70. I plan to shoot several targets for RD's postal match and hope to beat my best score. I think there are a good number of shooters that send in targets because of the honor system, they can go out pop a few off and send it in. Mutch easer than finding someone to serve as a witness. I know you didnt make the rules, but it is just a down side that I see to it.
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

Big Medicine

I know what you mean about haveing to have a witness being a pain in the A#$. But that only matters if you plan to send in a target. I had actually maxed several BDT's with no witness. On other occasions when I had either arranged for a witness to be there or there were people at the range shooting at the same time, I couldn't max a BDT to save my life. The one I finally maxed and sent in was witnessed by someone that just happened to be at the range that day shooting 22's as well. I wouldn't know them today if I was to stumble over them....LOL

That postal match is for big bore levers only isn't it? Been thinking about getting a big bore, but if I did it would be either a 45/70 or a 35 Whelen barrel for my Thompson Center.

firstshot
    -----------------------------------
    Make your first shot count!

Member #

Black Death Challenge

Firstshot,
    You NEED a Marlin big bore :lol: Reid has a nice 1895 Cowboy for sale on the cowboy board. A 45-70 is the medicine you need The problem with the centerfire levers is that one is not enough :shock: You could really max the black death with one of those babies
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

Hey Big Medicine -

Does a 336 in 44 mag count as a big bore? It's a fairly large diameter, nut only a pistol cartridge. I assume it counts as one, but figured I'd better check first......

Shum8
    If you believe there's good in everyone, you obviously haven't met everyone.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    Adam Savage

Member #

Black Death Challenge

Shum,
    Is it used...... You should fire it up and get a couple targets shot for RD's postal match. A 336 in 44mag is a rare bird, I'd say it is a big bore.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

RD's match is for any center-fire lever-action rifles/carbines. Bore size is not restricted to big bores. Yes, the .44 magnum qualifies, thats what I shoot.

Like Big Medicine, I mostly shoot by myself. Will try the 25 yard BDT one of these days. I'll have to take some stands to set the target that close, as the range set-up is for 50 meters. I just haven't felt confident enough to try it yet.
    Speak softly, but ride like hell!"

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

It doesn't have to be a big bore, just centerfire lever........Right??
    Tuba Players Have BIG Brass Ones

That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting Is Deer Laughing.....

Member #

Black Death Challenge

Any centerfire lever will do.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

I can understand that the BDT is an individual thing. Bragging rights? Ok, I can go for that, also... With a dollop of tolerance added, too boot. But if a shooter really wanted to know if he or she really maxed the BDT, he'd fire one shot per bull (on the proper backing, Doc) and use a plug gage. It tells no lies. Have fun but "To thine own self, be True", eh? I've said my piece. Have a great Saturday. ~Andrew

Sidewinder
    Member #

Black Death Challenge

Andrew

Just one comment and the subject is dropped. It is my opinion and it is just an my opinion, shooting the BDT challange; I think it is easier to shoot one shot into the white on individual targets than shooting 5 rounds into one target. My reasoning is that it is more difficult to sight in on a ragged hole than to sight in on a well defined black dot. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but at least to me it seems to be easier. Also if you do max the BDT, you will find it is much easier to repeat the process.

I am reminded when I was in the Army, the guys in my outfit had a game they played. The guy that couldn't take a beer can and crimp it with their fingers with each hand and then mash it into a "Z" shape paid for the beer. It took me a long time to finally do it and from then on it was a snap. By the way the cans were made of steel. Aluminum cans didn't exist then. Sounds simple enough. I have seen some really "Big strong" ape like guys that always were good for the beer.

Just my .02 cents

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    I can understand that the BDT is an individual thing. Bragging rights? Ok, I can go for that, also... With a dollop of tolerance added, too boot. But if a shooter really wanted to know if he or she really maxed the BDT, he'd fire one shot per bull (on the proper backing, Doc) and use a plug gage. It tells no lies. Have fun but "To thine own self, be True", eh? I've said my piece. Have a great Saturday. ~Andrew
    You know a guy's time is worth something unless your on welfare"

"Stupidity can be corrected"

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links