+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

25mn accuracy issues

hey guys, just joined the forums here and this is my first post... i did a search and didn't come up with any answers so i am hoping you guys might be able to help a bit...

i own a few marlins, 2 being of the bolt action 22 mag kind... an 882L that shoots like a dream and i've had for quite awhile.

the second one is a 25mn that a buddy just got so disgusted with, he handed it to me and told me to take it far away from him... lol

he has tried everything to get this rifle to shoot decent groups but can't get any better than 3" at 50 yards... (my 882L cuts holes with 30gr vmax at 50yds)

he tried every kind of ammo that he could get his hands on, cci, hornady, winchester, etc with no considerable difference or improvement.

he floated the barrel, and added a timmeny trigger but to no avail, this 25mn just won't shoot

i would really like to get this thing squared away and shooting that way i know it can because i think it would make a nice addition to my young son's safe so any help would be greatly appreciated...

Deadeye
    Member #

Re: 25mn accuracy issues

What's the crown look like? My buddy had the same rifle with the same problem. We did the brass round head slotted screw with polishing compound treatment to the crown and it fixed it right up.
    This is how...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/General.mvc.../VideoFeatured
    Best Regards to All,
    Walt
    Team 1894 #16
    Team 39 #23
    Team 60 #2
    '02 1894SS
    '47 39A
    '08 39A
    '94 60W
    2011 XT22

Tenderfoot
    Member #

the crown looks good... but i just might try that... either that or i have another rifle that needs a recrown... i might do both or send both out... lemme check into that link..

anyone else?... ideas?

Gunfighter
    Member #

You have done some or all of this but here is the checklist:
    1- all action screws appropriately tight
    2-scope base/ mounts tight
    3-re-check barrel float, does it float
    4-check crown/ re work
    5-crisp trigger
    6-switch out scope
    7- multiple ammo to test
    8-bore clean/ remove copper fouling

Here are some more specific question. Is it a two screw action? In other words are there two screws holding the action in the stock. I'm not sure if the mn's had two. If only one action screw, it is hard to float the barrel and get improved accuracy because the floating allows more action movement within the stock. It is relatively easy to add a second action screw if there is only one. Is the action bedded to the stock? This also helps to stabilize things when floating a barrel. All this said, I'm guessing the crown is bad or you have a bad barrel.

Good luck, I love my 925m, it shoots around an inch at 100 yds

james

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Im the original owner of that damned rifle :P. The muzzle and crown are fine, did the qtip check and it would also produce a tight star pattern of fouling so my thoughts were that the crown was fine. The rifle had a Riflebasic trigger put in, not a Timney...my bad on the mix up Jay. The action was not bedded so this is an open ended "maybe" to the reason why it doesnt shoot. As far as the scopes and mounts go I mounted 4 different scopes, 4x Leupold Rimfire, 3x9 VXII EFR Rimfire, a 4X Universal (carbine company), and a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 using both burris and leupold rings..no difference in group size. I also shot it extensively with open sights, factory provided. The barrel does float as I sanded the hardwood stock out with a socket and sandpaper and shimmed the action screw in the stock. After it didn't shoot being floated I messed around with some felt "pressure" pads at the tip of the stock to put some pressure on the barrel. Some of my Mosins shoot better with some pressure applied to the barrel so I thought why not try it. Didn't work.

My last thoughts on this rifle is that it seems the lock time is rather long compared with the other rifles in my stash. This condition was pre and post trigger change out, but the firing pin strikes are heavy and I can't recall a FTF, so the FP spring should be gtg. Use a spent 22 mag case to test the trigger and fp strike and compare the 882L and this rifle side by side.

Good Luck.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Since this is a 25MN, I'm assuming you added the second bedding screw to the action so that the barrel could float?

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

I would have sold the gun long ago when I first saw that it would only shoot 3" groups at 50 yards with all ammo brands. I would have then bought another gun which hopefully would group better.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Gunfighter
    Member #

Nice job going through the checklist.....Trade stock for the pawn shop... Dump it or get a barrel from Numrich.. Might put a second action screw after replacing the barrel..

James

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

What a bummer...mine has been a real shooter right out of the box as Jay said of his..tears one hole at 50 and 1" at 100...my little groundhog buddies hate seeing its muzzle poke out of my bathroom window
    Some days it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps
    Studies show that 6 out of 7 Dwarves are NOT Happy
    Revenge is a dish best served cold
    No I'm not a Dr, but I'll take a look
    I just said I didn't have much use for one, I never said I didn't know how to use it....M. Quigley

Platinum Poster
    Member #

I have to think something is being overlooked My was awesome out of the box.. the crown may look good to the nekid eye.. won't hurt to re do it the cheap way and see if makes a difference.. I will tell you .. Mine loves the 40 gr CCI solids and HP's both not so much the lighter ammo.
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links