Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Military 22LR training rifles

20K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Ballplayer 
#1 ·
I picked this 22 rifle up about 15 years ago and it was still packed in grease. I believe it was a military training rifle but not certain, The only marks other than the SN are UMC 2 and under that is 1971. Has anyone else ever seen one of these? It was a job to get the almost dried up crud from the action and inside of barrel. Rifle was spotless but the butt plate's door and cleaning rod was missing and the stock looked awful, and I did refinish it. This rifle is a great shooter and is equipped to put a scope on it but I like the open three leaf open sights, short medium and long range. Shoots very well and I have enjoyed using it.

Reactions: msharley
#2 ·
It is a Romanian military training rifle, the sight picture approximates the sights on an AK rifle. Trigger is similar to an AK too, long takeup, some resistance, then the trigger breaks. I bought a bunch of them when they were first imported back around 1995. If you bought four, you could get them for $55 each.

Pretty neat rifles, fairly accurate, light and handy. They are copies of Winchester Model 69 target rifles, and can use the same magazine.

The dates on the ones I had ran anywhere from 1969 to 1984.

I traded of all but the best one, which I still shoot frequently. I use it a lot as a canoeing gun, figure if I capsize and lose the rifle, I'm not out a bunch of money.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info there, ;D I like mine and paid 35.00 + tax. Did not think it was American made because it did not say and there are some other marks that look foreign but did not know where. Sure is a nice little rifle that I would not hurt my feelings if I ever broke it and it would make a nice truck gun. Would be nice to put a little folding stock on it for that. ;D ;D

Thanks again, Joe

#5 ·
Bought it about fifteen years ago from a gun shop in Laramie, Wyoming but I have not seen one since. If I did I would surly get it for a spare. ;D

#6 ·
janott said:
Bought it about fifteen years ago from a gun shop in Laramie, Wyoming but I have not seen one since. If I did I would surly get it for a spare. ;D
Wish I'd noticed when you bought it before I posted. I had my wallet out and was kinda starry-eyed...

Reactions: msharley
#7 ·
MarlinXL7 said:
Wish I'd noticed when you bought it before I posted. I had my wallet out and was kinda starry-eyed...
Kind of thought that was what happend so I said it again. ;D Tell you what though, if I run across another one I will let you know where it's located.

#8 ·
Jan I've got one of those too, mine is a tack driver. The 3 leaf sights are marked 25, 50, and 100 and are set in meters. My gun is dead on the money with each different leaf when using high velocity ammo. This gun loves the Federal bulk pack ammo that I get from walmart and I've killed piles of gophers with it. I'm glad you've started to enjoy your little trainer, trust me if it's like mine it'll start to grow on you right away...grin. I killed a nice fat huckleberry fed blue grouse with mine last fall too, great little rifle. This one was a gift from a couple of my friends that own a gun shop.

MM

#9 ·
8) cool MM, ;D

Not sure what I have used in mine for ammunition but I have atleast twenty of those Federal bulk packs from Wally W. ;D ;D Next time I take it out I will make sure that is what I use in it.

Thanks, Joe

#13 ·
I often see these magazines at gun shows. You may try GB or AA, but I just got one for $9 at a show in Virginia. To avoid confusionb, check on GB or on RinfireCentral for a photo of the magazine before you go buying. These training rifles still show up regularly for under $100. They started many a .22RF trainer collection. If not in as issued military condition, a bit less. They were $59-69 when they were imported, or 5 for $200. I remember magazines for $2 each after the rifles dried up. I would also look for a spare firing pin as they do break due to hardening issues. Gunparts (Numrich) or Apex often have parts. The original sling is a vinyl or leather carry strap.

#11 ·
I'm going to the range today with a friend who's bringing his civilian marksmanship 22 rifle. He paid $35 a long time ago and it's got military sights and (feels like) weighs about 8 lbs. Made by Mossberg. The front sight is a loop. We'll see how accurate it is compared to the 795.

#15 ·
So, did Marlin ever make a military training rifle -or- were they ever in the running to make a military training rifle. The 80DL seems like it could have been used for one, but I don't think there is any history of it being used as one? Just wondering...

#16 ·
Kind of an old post, but as far as I know Marlin never did but with their quality they should have. I know that the US military would be looking for something similar to what they would have been using at the time. I do not think it makes much difference in rifles but do you remember the Colt ACE?

#17 ·
My neighbor has a Johnston Tucker M1 .22 carbine, manufactured in St Louis in the '60s. These used stocks, sights and other parts identical to the M1. The barrel's outer diameter was the same as the .30 cal and the trigger and sear were interchangeable with the GI version. Though it was sold to the general public, the company's owner surmised that high volume overseas orders were destined to military training use.

Johnston-Tucker M1 Carbine

Text Font

#20 ·
I do not get on here often. Sorry I have never responded. Is your UMC2 complete and is it like mine with the open sights. Mine is a good shooter too.

#21 ·
Ok, I'll add mine. I've got a Mauser 22 trainer, it shoots really nice.

#22 ·
I've got the Romanian too and it's great with a fine bolt action but for some reason I've never been able to find a scope mount that will grip the milled mounting grooves on the receiver ????? which is no big problem because it's so accurate as is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.