+ Reply to Thread

Tinhorn
    Member #

How is the model 981T?

Been looking to get a new bolt action .22lr to harrass the jack rabbits and cottontails.. If you have one please give me some details on what you like, or dislike about them...
    Democracy- Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...

Liberty- A well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.

Deadeye
    Member #

Re: How is the model 981T?

I have the stainless version, 981TS, and love it. Fit and finish is good, despite it being a 91 series product. I have not had it long but have close to 400 rounds through it so far with no FTF, FTE or extract problems. The rifle feels solid in every aspect.

Although I have posted this here before, here's a photo.

It shoots pretty well also

There are a few others here with the 981 rifles, and I suspect they will chime in too shortly.

Regards, TallGrass

Sidewinder
    Member #

I'll chime in...I also have the 981TS. Like you would expect, it lives up to the Marlin name for quality. It cycles rounds very smoothly with no FTF or FTE. I am a few hundred rounds behind TallGrass, but am completely satisfied with its quality and accuracy.

When I set up a scope, I chose to use a one piece mount by DIP with a compact 11.25" rimfire scope. The combination required me to push back the scope as far as the rings would allow to get comfortable eye relief. If you plan to scope it, I suggest using a bit longer scope to help.

I also like the tube magazine...has a lot of capacity and also alows you to use shorts.

Can't say enough...I love it.
    Drills
    Team 39 - #46 . . . . . 39A and 39M
    Team 981T - #2 . . . . 981TS

Tinhorn
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TallGrass
    Fit and finish is good, despite it being a 91 series product. Regards, TallGrass
    What does that mean??

Cowpoke
    Member #

No clue what that means--maybe he meant a 900-series product. If you can wait a few months, you might as well get an XT-22TR for the same price.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Deadeye
    Member #

The "91 Series" reference is to the first 2 digits of the serial number of the rifle. If you spend anytime around this forum, you will note that there is some concern that rifles that have serial numbers in that range are ones that have been made after the Remington takeover and thus may have problems of function, fit & finish, reliability etc.

Sorry if that was too cryptic a reference.

Hope that cleared that up for you guys.

TallGrass

Tinhorn
    Member #

Oy, I forgot about the "Remington" factor. I've bought all my marlins prior to the buy-out. I gave up Remingtons in the 1990's and never went back.. How big is this problem?

Deadeye
    Member #

I don't have any first hand info on the full scope of any problems, so I can't offer you much help with that.

Like most things, whether it's computers or cars or toasters, we tend to hear more of problems than when things go right on various internet forums. Anecdotal information suggests that several folks are having some issues with their rifles made after the buyout and change of ownership. I'm not doubting folks that have reported having problems.

My own experience with one of the rifles made post change has been positive with my 981TS.

I read many of the problem report posts up in the Marlin Rant threads and others on the Rimfires and 1894s and XL7 threads and the 308/338,etc. threads prior to purchasing my 981TS but in the end you have to make up your own mind. I went to my local shop with reported issues in mind and it helped me check out the rifles in stock for issues before I bought mine. They had 4 of the 981s in stock. I looked at them all before selecting one. Frankly, none of the four 981s had any obvious problems that I could see.

On the other hand , many folks have reported good experiences with their new Marlins so go figure.

Good luck with your selection. We haven't seen any of the new XT22 models in our local shop yet.

TallGrass

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links