+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

N.O.S. Marlin 880 SQ spotted

I was in the local Trading Post and saw a NOS Marlin 880 SQ. The price tag was dated may/1996. The barrel is dovetailed for a rear sight and drilled and tapped for a front sight. That indicates an early model if I remember correctly. The price was $219 in the box w/papers but he said he'd cut me a good deal if I wanted it. I was out of time so I told them I'd come back tomorrow... I'll keep you posted.~Andrew

Wrangler
    Member #

Re: N.O.S. Marlin 880 SQ spotted

I wouldn't waste any time.

Tinhorn
    Member #

If I am not mistaken...all the 880SQ had the same barrel configuration, i.e., front sight tapped/screws, rear sight dovetail blank. Serial numbers (production year) determined whether match grade chamber, semi-match?.....
    I have an early with the match grade. Somewhere's, maybe on this forum, the serial numbers are posted for year and chambering.
    In any case, snatch it......they are damn fine shooters. That is a steal.

Tinhorn
    Member #

What little I found.....'96 should be a first year production with the Match Chamber. After '96 or '97, they went with the Semi-Match chamber. For reference, mine is Serial# 044XXX197. It is a Match Chamber.
    W/O digging through gun papers in safe, I do remember CAUTION about not shooting CCI Stingers in the match chambers. Forgot why.
    With cheap ass Bushnell 4x12x40 on mine, it can give centerfires a run at 100 yds. WallyMart Brick ammo.
    You stumbled into GREAT FIND.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Thanks. It'll cost me $179 in the box. Thanks for the input on this model. I have a 880SQ that has no sight mounting facility. The SN is 0033 - - 22: Match or no?? It shoots like a house-a-fire.

No stingers should ever be fired in a Match chamber. The case is longer than standard an there would probably be chambering/pressure issues.

I pick it up tomorrow. ~Andrew

Tinhorn
    Member #

That serial number is lower than mine. Definitely a Match Chamber. I don't recall the story, but, I believe the early match chambered barrels were from their Model 9000 (?) which was their Target (Olympian, Biatholon ? model).
    The barrel is drilled/tapped for normal scope set-up. I have a Bushnell 4x12x40 on mine. If you use a 40mm Objective, check the rings before you leave gunshop and make sure they provide clearance/height from barrel.
    What a deal. You hit the lottery.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Thanks for that.
    Ok. Update.

Lord, I almost hesitate to post this...
    When I was picking up the rifle, the owner's son -now manager- told me that his Dad had ordered a half a dozen of these rifles in May of 1996, and that he still had three more NIB in the back room! I said "Exactly like this??" and he said he assumed so. They were. (Ducking down behind my key board...)

I bought them all. ~Andrew

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I shot the one that was on the rack today. Really sweet shooter even in the cold and wind. Tried some Fiocchi "Biathlon Ultra Match" in it and got a few 25M groups that were approaching one hole. Definitely needs a better trigger! ~Andrew

Super Moderator
    Member #

"If I am not mistaken...all the 880SQ had the same barrel configuration, i.e., front sight tapped/screws, rear sight dovetail blank.

They did not have all the same barrel configuration.

Andrew, the first year of production has the 04 serial number prefix for 1996. I have one; it has the dovetail blank and front sight holes with screws in place. Match chamber is present. '03 would be 97, but they may have tooled up for the new serial number before the year had passed. I bought a Model 60 many years ago in early December that had the following year's serial number already.

Match chamber? Heard it was only first year production. However.....

The only way to know for sure is to insert a round and look for rifling marks over most of the bearing surface. Microgroove. My gun won't regularly extract CCI subsonic because of this and engraves most of their length, which prevents extraction sometimes. It regularly engraves rounds with shorter bearing length like Winchester Wildcats but due to that shorter bearing length they'll still extract.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Were not all the 880SQ barrels the "heavy" variety and came w/o any sights? Just drilled and tapped. And, same barrels as the 9000 (?)...
    I still recall, that somewhere, there is list of serial number ranges for the 880SQ that denotes whether match or semi-match chamber production.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links