+ Reply to Thread

Sidewinder
    Member #

What can you tell me about Marlin Model 925 accuracy?

I am doing some research for my club to start a youth .22 rifle marksmanship club/training activity, we'll meet once a month and shoot .22 rifles in the basic positions, prone sitting and standing (offhand). The club has agreed in principle to buy eight rifles, but we haven't selected a brand yet.

I coached a previous youth team using Savage MKII target rifles with the Accu-Trigger and aperture sights, they woked good but were a little too big and heavy for the smaller kids. I am thinking of getting six full size rifles, and two youth rifles to facilitate youth shooters age 8-18.

So, I am researching costs of these rifles, and saw a Marlin Model 925 in the store today. Plain, clip fed bolt rifle, full size, cheap price, these might work if they are accurate enough and have decent triggers. These rifles would be shot with iron sights, from 50 feet to 50 yards.

Anyone have a 925, how's the trigger and sights? If the trigger is anything like the Marlin Model 60, I'll look for something else, but I know some of my club members do very well with bolt action Marlin rifles....

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: What can you tell me about Marlin Model 925 accuracy?

My older 25M in 22 mag is a shootin fool. Not the best trigger I ever pulled but OK.

Deadeye
    Member #

My Glenfield 25 is a tack-driver, in-spite of the heavier (than I like) trigger.
    Team Glenfield 25 # 1
    Team .45-70 # 960
    Team 60 # ----
    Team Old Phart # 169

Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you.- Ben Franklin
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
    Obama... do NOT go to Arizona, they require proof of citizenship.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

I have one and it's amazing. Very accurate even with the iron sights, i've since put a small scope on it. I believe I paid about $200 for mine. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

Team 45/70 #31

Tenderfoot
    Member #

This was my 925M at 100 yds

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I'm putting together a 925 for a relative and can say it is quite accurate. Flat stock the specimen I have, from the bench with a front rest only can shoot dime sized groups at 25 yards.

That said, say what you want about the Mod 60 trigger but for the money, you'd be hard pressed to find a more accurate rifle. I also have a 795 with a trigger you could pull houses with and it's also extremely accurate.

There must be a dozen kids in my family that started out on Marlin .22's.

Sidewinder
    Member #

My last outing with my 925 I shot the Aguila Super Extra (1135 fps) prone from 25 yards with just the use of a sling and open iron sights. The accuracy is there - no doubt about it. After throwing 2 shots in the 9 Ring, and 1 in the 8 Ring of a TQ-3/5 NRA 50 yard small bore target, my next two shots caught the right side of the 10 Ring, and the remaining 20 shots cut the 10 & X Rings with a sideways 'M'. The 10 Ring measures 7/8 of an inch. I'll take this with my 54 year old eyes any day. I rate the 925 in at least the top 5 for accuracy.

Joe
    1st Inf. Div.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Joe M,

Thats the kind of accuracy I'm looking for. We could probably save over $100 per rifle by getting something like the Marlin 925 over the Savage target rifle, and we are getting eight rifles for the club.

We will meet soon to discuss or new youth program and flesh out the details, and the money.....

Sidewinder
    Member #

I know there is always the concerns with trigger pull weight. Personally I have not
    found this to be an issue as either I'm use to it or the rifle is just broke in so to speak.

I do feel you get a lot of accuracy for your money with the 925. I have shoot my 925
    with open iron sights out to 100 yards from the bench using only a bipod, and from prone
    using only a sling. I feel the scores were respectable;

NRA 100 Yard Small Bore Target TQ-4

Bench (Bipod Only) - 25 Shots - Score 213 of 250 w/4X's - Eley Sport 40 grain - 1085 fps
    Bench (Bipod Only) - 25 Shots - Score 212 of 250 w/5X's - Eley Sport 40 grain - 1085 fps

Prone (Sling Only) - 25 Shots - Score 214 of 250 w/0X's - Eley Sport 40 grain - 1085 fps
    Prone (Sling Only) - 25 Shots - Score 206 of 250 w/2X's - Federal 711B 40 grain - 1080 fps

I know the 925 is capable of more then what I'm scoring - especially if it's scoped. However, I like
    my open iron sights (I put a Williams replacement on mine) and I truly enjoy this rifle!

**Note** I modified my Bench scores above to read 213 and 212. I miss typed and had put 233 & 232, (which were actually "scope" scores). Sorry about that. The scores above are now correct.

Joe
    1st Inf. Div.

Sidewinder
    Member #

This target is one I shot with my 925c. I think I shot 7 rounds into the bull. The other group is with different ammo, and the hole in the 7 was just to see if I could hit it. The square in the middle of the bull is 1"

This target is with my 981T. Same gun as a 925 but with a tube magazine. Shots to the left were from sighting it in because the gun was brand new with a brand new scope. So 5 shots to get in the bull and 12 shots in the center of the bull.

Both targets were shot at 50 yards sitting in the drivers seat of my pickup using the mirror as a rest. Im pleased to say the least. Only god knows how many rounds Ive put through the 925 and how many gophers, jack rabbits, and other varmints its killed. Ive had it for at least 12 years. I tried the ink pen spring trick with both the 925 and 981T and I think Im going to change them back to how they were originally. Just made the trigger pull mushy. I would strongly recommend getting the 925. Only reason I bought the 981T was because I got tired of reloading magazines for the 925 when shooting 450+ gophers in a few hours.
    Member #50 TEAM 30-30
    336CC 30-30

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links