+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin 7000 trigger fix.

Does anyone out there know of an easy fix for the Marlin 7000 triggers. I have two of these rifles and they are one of the best shooting out of the box .22's that I have come across, but their triggers are horrendous. Very creepy/heavy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    uns dont kill. People talking on cell phones while driving do.

Wrangler
    Member #

Marlin 7000 trigger fix.

i've owned a 7000 for several years now & have seen this typed about before & no one had a good fix for it best suggestion is to get a trigger shoe to make it wider & havent tryed it but if i ever run into 1 at a gun show i'll get it & try it.mine is also shoots great but the trigger is heavy but not creepy.it has gotten better than when new but still to heavy for a bad shooter like me mike
    real squirrel hunters use rimfires

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Marlin 7000 trigger fix.

The M60 style trigger is just a lawyer-proof design. The sear geometry is impossible to work with as far as reworking in the usual ways. Many years ago a fellow wanted to shoot silhouette with his M-60 and I repositioned the trigger within the guard to get more leverage on the sear. It worked well but is no simple task and required a mill and a lathe to get done. If I wasn't doing it for curiosity's sake (almost free) I don't think this guy could have afforded the job. I don't know what happened to the gun or how long that trigger lasted. Chances are something else broke before that trigger went out, though.~Andrew

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin 7000 trigger fix.

My 70PSS(Papoose) registered somewhere over 5lbs.(80oz.) on my sliding RCBS trigger weight scale. A fishing scale, really. Actually, it may have been closer to 6lbs, as the indicator tab bottomed out in its slot even before the trigger tripped.

Here's what I did, which you may try at your own risk:

Removing the trigger return spring insided the trigger guard dropped it down to 68oz., or so. The take-up is now slightly sloppy, but it only moves an eighth-inch or so before it encounters the resistance of the "sear bar" inside of the receiver(not sure of proper nomenclature). That made a big difference. Just push the forward trigger-pin out from the left to the right enough to lift the spring up free and clear. Then, tap the pin back into place.

Next, I removed the mag-disconnect. That's got it down to 60-62oz, which is just under 4lbs.

Using a tiny jeweler's driver, pull the tiny C-clip at the rear of the bar on the left side of the trigger mech housing. Reach up inside and lift the long leg of the sear spring out of the notch it rests in. That's a cross a pin attached to the inside of the disconnect bar. Lift the bar free from the assembly, and pop the C-clip back onto the notched pin where it was. When assembling the housing back to the receiver, make sure the hammer is cocked and the dangling leg of the sear spring points toward the mag well. When replacing the trigger guard it will compress down on the leg adding tension to the sear. However, it's less tension than when it rested on the cross-pin. You can also put a kink in that leg, which will further reduce the sear tension. Go easy!

I don't miss the mag-disconnect, nor would most owners, I suspect. Just function check it manually to make sure the SEAR disconnector is working! IOW, dry-fire(once) and hold down the trigger while working the bolt. Make sure when you release the trigger that it clicks back into resistance with the sear bar. This indicates it's holding in the cocked position requiring another trigger-pull to release a subsequent shot. Test your gun live-fire with ONE, Two, then three rounds in your mag and so forth to make sure everything's on the up-and-up.

When I got up the gumption, I gutted the trigger housing to see what some pointed, careful polishing would do. Turns out the disconnector/sear bar is permanently riveted to the left action bar which supports the trigger group. I suppose you could ooze some JB paste down in there and work it back and forth, but I don't think the gain would be worth the effort in both time and clean-up. Ditto polishing the sides of the sear or hammer, they appear to be quite smooth enough as-is.

I removed the torsion spring which operates both the return function of the disconnector, and adds weight to the forward motion of the bar which trips the sear. Again, you can carefully tweek the legs of this spring which will leave enough UPWORD tension to maintain the disconnector function. It will also reduce some of the weight from the sear release, which is what you're trying to accomplish. Now, the 'Poose is down to just under 3lbs., and I find that to be quite manageable.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin 7000 trigger fix.

Thanks for the info. One of these rifles is a 1998 model with the better, heavier stock, not the tupperware stock that is on the newer ones. The trigger is also better on the older one not so much creepy as it is heavy, about 5 lbs. They both can shoot half inch groups at 50 yds though so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.
    uns dont kill. People talking on cell phones while driving do.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links