+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin Model 700

I am looking for information on a Marlin Model 700. I searched and found 2 posts related directly to this gun but it didn't answer my question except to say this model was made for a dept store.

I have an opportunity to buy this gun, which was found in a closet after the owner passed, still in the box with manual and paperwork. The date on the receipt is November 1988.

Is this a hard to find marlin? I have no plans to shoot it, it just caught my interest because I don't have one on my .22 rack.

What is it worth? The asking price is $125....

Don

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: Marlin Model 700

It's a West Coast version of the Marlin 70/70HC, sold thru Big 5 stores. Precursor to the 795.

It's one of the "House Brand" Marlins, where they changed the name/model number to suit the recipient.

Read this...it is a pretty good listing of all the rifles Marlin made for other companies, where they changed the name of their own rifles to suit the Corporatations. It has more Marlins listed than any other cross-brand reference to date...and it's ONLY Marlins
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=355471

And yeah, it'd be worth $125, but try to haggle 'em down a bit anyway
    A firearm should be a tool in the hands of a deadly weapon, not a deadly weapon in the hands of a tool.
    Team Levermatic #001 http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/gr...evermatic.html

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thank You Big Shrek for your response. It's interesting that the list you have shows a Model 700/model 70 for United merchant but there is none for Big 5. Is Big 5 a Western US brand? I'm in Florida and have never seen a Big 5.

Are the parts all interchangable when Marlin produce a clone for another retailer? Is there awarranty through Marlin?

Thanks again for the info, I'm keeping the list for future reference...

Don

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BangBang
    Thank You Big Shrek for your response. It's interesting that the list you have shows a Model 700/model 70 for United merchant but there is none for Big 5. Is Big 5 a Western US brand? I'm in Florida and have never seen a Big 5.

Are the parts all interchangable when Marlin produce a clone for another retailer? Is there awarranty through Marlin?

Thanks again for the info, I'm keeping the list for future reference...

Don
    UM is also Big 5
    Western Only.

It's parts are interchangable with a model 70HC/995 from the same time period.
    Most of those action parts can be replaced with the current 795 action parts.
    Barrel is the basically the same.

Since they stopped making 70/700's back in the 90's, all warranties are now extinct.
    Chances are, all you might need is a a good cleaning & maybe a new 795 Spring kit. (JP Industries??)

A firearm should be a tool in the hands of a deadly weapon, not a deadly weapon in the hands of a tool.
    Team Levermatic #001 http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/gr...evermatic.html

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thank you Sir! I appreciate the information.

I went ahead and bought the gun ($100) and it looks like the box was just opened. The gun is like brand new.

I'll be shooting it this week and I'm looking forward to it.

Don

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I have just learned about this model and have seen two recently on the internet and one was made in 1989 and the other in 1988. They appear, like Big Shrek confirmed, to be indentical to the 70HC, and I am sure that parts would be interchangable as the very knowledgeable Big Shrek said. Just a point of interest....the 70HC and 700 have a ramp front sight held with a screw just like the Model 60 so if you own one of these and like Tech Sights you can mount that brand of sights right on these models just like you can the Model 60 and Model 795. Might be a good thing to know.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links