+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: clip or tube mag for bolt action 22 rifle?

Wrangler
    Member #

clip or tube mag for bolt action 22 rifle?

What is better for a Marlin 22lr bolt action rifle, a clip or tube magazine?

I would be hard to forget or lose a tube magazine since it is always attached to the gun.

Can a rifle that uses a clip mag be loaded one at a time from the breach if there is no clip in the gun?

I have a Marlin semiauto 22, but the action gets real dirty, so I would like a bolt action. A lever 22 costs too much.

As democracy is perfected, the office (of President) represents,... the inner soul of the people... On some great and glorious day the plain folks... will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron-Mencken

Sidewinder
    Member #

Re: clip or tube mag for bolt action 22 rifle?

I actually like the tube magazine rifles a little better than the clip fed. The Marlin 981 in this case. You can load single rounds in both the tube a clip fed bolt action rifles, even if the mags are missing.

Sidewinder
    Member #

My personal preference for .22 bolt guns is a clip. I now have a Marlin 39A and the tube magazine is ok. One of these days I will have to buy a bolt rifle with tube magazine to see if it is "ok", too.
    Team 30-30 Member #137
    Team 39 Member #95

Deadeye
    Member #

I have both...with no favorite.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Clips are nice if you'r going to be loading/unloading frequently and a couple extra loaded clip is a handy way to carry ammo.But for actual in the field hunting I prefer tubes,one magizine full should get your limit of almost any small game.

Tinhorn
    Member #

i had a marlin tube feed bolt action on time that would not feed right( at all) i took it to the local gunsmith and he shortened the tube at the receiver with about two strokes of a file it worked great after that. all i have now is a 22 mag marlin and it is a clip feed. i like both but i do like the clips for loading and unloading better.

Gunfighter
    Member #

shot both the clip and tube but i only own the tube and dont have any plans to ever buy a clip. so im a bit baised and i also grew up with tube fed. i really dont like anything hanging under my rifle, so thats my main complaint. but i have never seen a tubular mag fail. my 2 cents. shot the tubular in everything from a semi, bolt and lever. shot the clip from a semi and bolt.

Gunfighter
    Member #

I prefer a clip myself. Just pop out the clip and open the bolt and the rifle is unloaded. When I was a kid we used to have a Winchester pump .22 that had a tube magazine. That rifle soured me on tube mags because it had a habit of hanging up, making you think that it was unloaded. I was only about twelve when this happened, but I remember one time when I unloaded the gun by racking the slide. I racked it about 4 or 5 times after the last shell ejected, then I pulled the triger thinking that I was dry firing it. I'm just glad that it was still pointing in a safe direction when it went off.
    Team 30-30 - Member #136
    Marlin 336SS 30-30
    Marlin 336RC Texan 30-30
    Rossi Rio Grande 30-30

"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)

Wrangler
    Member #

I own a pair of clip mag fed 795s. I have heard they stay cleaner than their tube fed brothers. However the 795 has a disconnector which prevents the rifle from being fired with the magazine removed.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Tube is by far my favorite.
    Clip is just one more thing to lose, forget, or just spend more money to get another one just in case. Did I get the "right" clip? Will it feed as good as the factory clip? Crap dropped it and broke the plastic base. Double crap dropped it in the mud/tall grass and can't find it. Now I can't use it cause its full of mud. I'll stop you get the idea.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links