+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: clip or tube mag for bolt action 22 rifle?

Gunfighter
    Member #

Re: clip or tube mag for bolt action 22 rifle?

For club competition a box magazine is the only way; however, for hunting I like to stick 15 rds in the tube and not carry any other ammunition with me.
    Experience is the key to making good decisions.
    The best experience comes from making bad decisions.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I like the slick feeling of my M81, without anything sticking out from the bottom. Sure, it's slower to reload the rifle, but it's capable of holding a decent amount of LR ammo and there's no concern about where to carry the spare mags.

Tube vs. clip, blue vs. stainless, irons vs. optics. It's all about "the right to choose" that the left keeps telling us about...... isn't it?
    Team 444 member #256
    2nd Bn/10th Marines '88-'92

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

I can stick a few clips in my pocket, but would rather have a tube to swing if I run out of ammo.

I've had both, and the clip is my preference if for no other reason the bbl sets in the stock nicer.

My favorite bolt gun is a Whippet single shot (my dads depression era deer rifle), next would be a Rem single shot.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Sidewinder
    Member #

I have a tube-fed Marlin bolt gun and it is sleek and feeds like butter (Model 983T). However, it takes a little more time to load and you can't carry any extra tubes full of ammo with you if you shoot "on the fly." I also have a Clip-fed semi that likes to jam up a lot although I suspect it needs a new extractor. Not the clips fault. Have a blast shopping for your new "toy."

~Marlin89C
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

Sidewinder
    Member #

All you guys with tube-fed riffles ( :P), to make reloading faster get some large straws from Starbucks, stick a foam earplug in one end then stuff 22lr rds nose first in the straw then stick the second earplug in the other end leaving a bit hanging out. Then to reload just pull the inner tube out and up-end the straw into the the tube magazine and put the inner tube back in. LOTS easier than reloading one at a time. HTH
    I haven't found straws big enough for 22mag yet, but I'm still looking.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 1894cfan
    All you guys with tube-fed riffles ( :P), to make reloading faster get some large straws from Starbucks, stick a foam earplug in one end then stuff 22lr rds nose first in the straw then stick the second earplug in the other end leaving a bit hanging out. Then to reload just pull the inner tube out and up-end the straw into the the tube magazine and put the inner tube back in. LOTS easier than reloading one at a time. HTH
    If the squirrels and rabbits ever start shooting back,I might try this speed loader

Tenderfoot
    Member #

my new toy...

bought a marlin 22 mag bolt action mag fed last month..simmons 44 mag scope wit illumanated cross hares...lovely gun hav silencer yet to be fitted...got it in black sythetic stock blue finish barrel and i love it....

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 1894cfan View Post
    Spee-D-Loader 120 Round Speed Loader Works with all Tube Fed Rifles and .22 Ammo

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Tube fed in a high end gun like the M39, Win. 94/22, browning lever, etc. Tube mags and lever guns make a nice couple. Cheaper guns - Removable magazines (read also easily replaceable) . If the alignment feeding system goes south in a magazine gun, a new mag is a brand new feeding mechanism to boot! AC

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I have never heard of a .22 clip-loader.

Between a Box-Magazine and a Tube Magazine though, I love the tube. Never lose it, never have to buy a new one, and with some 3/8" copper tubing and some clever work, you can make tons of quick-loaders for dirt cheap.
    JetBlack and gunscrewguy like this.
    We have ways of making you drunk, comrade.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links