Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Henry lever action 22 rifles...

6K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  maxmo 
#1 ·
Has anyone every asked if Henry Repeating Arms would be willing to making , as an option, a 24 inch barrel for their 22 Magnum and 17 HMR lever action rifles ? Seems to me that the longer sighting plane with a 24 inch barrel makes it easier to handle. I know that is the case with the Model 39a from Marlin.

#2 ·
I would post this question on the Henry subforum at Rimfirecentral.com. Henry's chief gunsmith in charge of their repair department posts there from time to time. You could also e-mail Mr. Anthony Imperato with your suggestion. Unlike most messages to gun co. CEOs you would be likely to get a response.

#3 ·
You know, I just looked at one in a gun shop. Overall nice but the powder coated receiver and the plastic barrel band turned me off. Elsewhere on the used rack was a H serial number 39A in good shape. Made in 1951. The Henry was about $400 and the Marlin $430. Hmmm. I'm with the Marlin.

#4 ·
greenfox said:
Has anyone every asked if Henry Repeating Arms would be willing to making , as an option, a 24 inch barrel for their 22 Magnum and 17 HMR lever action rifles ? Seems to me that the longer sighting plane with a 24 inch barrel makes it easier to handle. I know that is the case with the Model 39a from Marlin.
GreenFox,

I've got a 39a and a Henry H001T Frontier Lever with a 20" Barrel. The Henry is 38 1/2" overall in length. It is about as perfect in length and balance as a Rifle can get in my opinion. In that respect better than the 39a in my opinion. Even though the Marlin has a 24" Barrel,, the H001T is only about 1 1/2 Inch's shorter in overall length.

As far as the Sighting Plane Length,, Let me tell you,, The Henry's Iron Site's are much Easier to use,, than the Marlin's is,"On The T Model".

I would suggest handleing the Henry Frontier,, before trying to Redesign for another Model.

I can tell you for a fact,, that I sure wouldn't want to add another 4" to the overall length on my Gun,
Joe :)

#5 ·
Greenfox,

I agree with 336SS. I also have a Henry Golden Boy in .22 LR and it may be heresy on the MO site but it is a great handling gun and accurate as hell. If you wnat to dress it up, order other barrel bands from Henry.

#8 ·
JC Higgins said:
That's more like it. I can live with the powder coated receiver but the metal band sounds like a huge improvement.
The Frontier is a different animal from the basic Henry 22 lever. Kinda like a blued instead of brass golden boy, but with a lot less stock drop. I like the stock on the Frontier better than the Golden Boy's I've seen.

Frontiers and Golden Boys come WITH a metal band.

Some guys have found that if you strip the receiver and apply bluing you get what looks like a case hardened finish. Pics of this are pretty impressive. You can find some posted at rimfire central. Everytime I see those pics, it gets the gears in my head turning :)

Balance is excellent. My Model 60 has a 22" barrel, and it's an absolute tack driver. Accuracy with the Frontier is just as good. The octagonal barrel has enough mass it's like having a 20" bull barrel. Heating the barrel has no effect on POI with my rifle.

And 20" must be a good length, or people wouldn't be wanting Marlin Mounties. ;)

Here's my Frontier equipped with a WGRS peep and firesight on the front.

#9 ·
I was looking at a Golden Boy yesterday but it just didn't grab me appearance wise. However I do like the looks of the Frontier a lot better. I think if I was going the Henry route for a lever 22 that would be my pick.

#10 ·
Several years ago I bought my Grandson a Henry 22 for Christmas. When it arrived it had the plastic barrel bands on the forearm and the front sight band. I sent a email to Henry saying how upset I was to get such a nice rifle with plastic barrel bands on it. The same day I received a answer back from the head of the company saying he was shipping me metal bands to replace the plastic. Sure enough in three or four days I received a box with the metal bands.

maxmo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.