+ Reply to Thread

Tinhorn
    Member #

My Glenfield Model 10

Dad bought this old model 10 for fifty bucks about 11 years ago and gave it to me. Been having fun with this little pop gun for years, and I intend to teach my son to shoot with it.

Deadeye
    Member #

Re: My Glenfield Model 10

That M10 would be a Marlin M101. I can't tell by my book if it was introduced in 1951 or discontinued in 1951. Either way, it appears to be a really short run rifle. That makes it a keeper.
    I can't tell by your picture if the forend wood is beavertailed. It was supposed to be.
    In any case, beautiful rifle. And I think a great one to start kids on.
    My son loved his Marlin auto. I got tired of loading clips. So I gave him my Winchester M67 single shot. What do you know! He got better, faster. It slows them down and they learn marksmanship.
    That's the kind of rifle that I am always looking for.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Hey thanks for the tip. Couple of questions, and please pardon my ignorance (I really don't know much about this rifle). So, it is not actually called a Glenfield model 10, as the rollmark suggests? What would a beavertailed stock look like? I know this one is smooth from front to back. Is there a website or book that would explain this particular rifle in detail, and would it be worth getting an original style stock for it, provided this one is not?

Again, many thanks for any help.

Deadeye
    Member #

Marlin made this rifle and some of them sold under the Glenfield name. It is a model 10 Glenfield. But it is originally a Marlin M101. This was common with stores that would sell firearms but would want their own label on it. Glenfield, Westernfield, JC Higgins, Ted Williams, the list goes on. If you ever have to order parts for it, you will have to know this information.

I believe that a beavertail forarm means that the fore stock (the stock that is under the barrel) is tapered. If I am incorrect on that, hopefully someone of the gurus here will clear that up. I think I am correct though. I did a quick search of the auctions and your stock is correct.

The M101 is an improved Marlin M100. The improvement was the beavertail. Because it tapers, it's easier to get a better grip on it. Otherwise it is the same rifle.

I don't know of any web site that would be a one-stop place for information. I would suggest that you might key word Glenfiels M10 or Marlin M101 and see what you find.

These rifles are not normally very valuable. But they are still worth having. Their value is more based on condition. The auctions were showing them running fron 75 to 125 dollars.

Tinhorn
    Member #

I also read last night that the model 10 is a rebranded Marlin 100G. The beavertail stock, I found out, is flat on the bottom for bench shooting, but I don't think this particular rifle came with one. From what I read last night, thanks to the model information you provided, the stock on this firearm was pretty standard. Mine does not have a serial number, so I cannot determine what year it was built, unless there is a proof mark on the barrel or something.

Deadeye
    Member #

Nice ol' rifle.
    Team Glenfield 25 # 1
    Team .45-70 # 960
    Team 60 # ----
    Team Old Phart # 169

Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you.- Ben Franklin
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
    Obama... do NOT go to Arizona, they require proof of citizenship.

Deadeye
    Member #

As far as I can find, the only data shows the M101. I didn't ask if it had a serial number. the Gun Control Act of 1968 mad it mandatory for 22's to have S/Ns. Some did before that but it wasn't required. That helps some in dating your rifle.
    I have never heard of a "G" designator. And yes, I think you are correct on the beavertail. They taper and they usually have flats. I wasn't very complete on that.
    Either way on the model, the internal parts are the same.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links