+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help With Disassembly and Cleaning of Glenfield 20 and 25 Bolt Action

Sidewinder
    Member #

Help With Disassembly and Cleaning of Glenfield 20 and 25 Bolt Action

Hello. I could not find a thread on how to take apart and clean these two rifles. They look very simular. I was hoping for a link to a video or good color photos like I found for the Camp 9. My husband and I got REALLY lucky and found not one but two of the bolt action .22's with the squirrel stock! They were at the SAME gun and pawn shop which was huge. Had been looking for one for a while as his birthday present. Now we have a pair. I just need detailed and pictured (or youtube video) instructions on how to correctly take apart, clean and put back together these rifles. Thanks for your help.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Re: Help With Disassembly and Cleaning of Glenfield 20 and 25 Bolt Action

How deep of a cleaning are we talking about?? These bolt actions are pretty simple compared to the semi-auto's. To remove the bolt to clean the bore you just squeeze the trigger while pulling the bolt assembly out the back of the receiver.

I posted a tutorial on taking the bolt assembly apart on the newer T-900 rifles at Rimfire Central, from the schematic at Numrich it appears to be similar to the Glenfield 20 and 25 you have.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=330235

The schematic below may help if Numrich has the correct one for the 20 and 25 Glenfield.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Thanks Erik. I will have to have my husband look at it. I am NOT mechanically inclined. He is the one who tinkers-just not with firearms. I really want him to get interested. About 1.5 months ago at a gun show, he had seen and showed interest in a model 25, so much so he had gone back to get it. It had sold. So all this time I have been looking. Anyway, I didn't want it to become his chore for something I am trying to get him more interested in. I guess, they just need a really good cleaning past just the bore. What cleaner/oil do you recommend. I have rem oil that is supposed to clean as well. Honestly, those schematics hurt my eyes to look at. It is too busy and one-dementional compared to real color pics. Taking it apart doesn't seem to be too bad. Putting it back together correctly is another matter. The "to put back together simply reverse steps" isn't helpful to me. I haven't taken my camp apart yet for the same reason-even with excellent photos. I only fired it one day. I will probably end up asking my neighbor for help. He is the best redneck neighbor ever!!! I mean that in a very good way. He LOVES guns.

Deadeye
    Member #

You've got the very rifle I'm trying to refurbish. If you pull the trigger as you're pulling the bolt out, that'll release the bolt from the rest of the action. On the bottom... remove the screws. The plate for around the clip will drop loose, and the barrel action will separate from the stock. Reverse order and it'll go back together. Here's what the action (without the barrel) will look like. No need to separate the barrel from the action to simply clean it and get it ready to shoot.

Hoppe's #9 will be more than enough to clean the powder fouling from the bore and such. If it's lead fouled... then further cleaning would be needed. Any good gun oil will get you well on the way to having it protected.

Before oiling the cleaned gun... if you use some "Flitz" metal polish on the blued metal, you'll have your cleaning patch coming up rusty brown as it cleans the blued metal... buff it with a soft towel. It'll really bring back the shine of the blued steel. Some Murphy's oil soap for a good stock cleaning followed up with a good coat of paste wax (floor wax or carnuba car wax) will do good things for the stock.

Team Glenfield 25 # 1
    Team .45-70 # 960
    Team 60 # ----
    Team Old Phart # 169

Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you.- Ben Franklin
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
    Obama... do NOT go to Arizona, they require proof of citizenship.

Sidewinder
    Member #

I've used Hoppe's, Shooter Choice and Outers bore solvent to clean my barrel and actions. I prefer the Shooter's Choice as it seems to break up the copper and powder residue better. Then I apply some Hobbe's gun oil to keep everything well oiled.

Sorry about the small schematic, it was all I could find on the older Marlin/Glenfield and the Numrich water mark in the background isn't helping either. I don't know where the PDF manual I had for the older Marlin bolt actions went. The schematic in the thread at Rimfire Central is larger but it's the newer T-900 rifles.

With you having two rifles that are nearly the same, if you take the trigger, sear, bolt etc. apart separately you can use one as a guide to assemble the other. The schematic makes these rifles look more complicated than they actually are. Having a neighbor that will help guide you and/or your husband through it would help a lot as well. Hands-on experience with some helpful guidance is the quickest way to learn a new skill/hobby.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Gentlemen, my sincere thanks in all your help. I WILL get this done and we will be off and plinking before I head up north for a while. It will make the trip with me too. My goal is to ease my husband into this as well as the idea of prepping/being prepared for "stuff." Spent an hour or so in the wee hours of the morning/late night watching youtube videos of people taking down, cleaning and putting back together bolt action rimfires. The oil/cleaning area is wide open as to what different people use. Has anyone heard of or use Ballistol? It seems to get high marks on the Cheaper than Dirt website reviews as well as being a less toxic option. Will keep you posted on my progress.

Deadeye
    Member #

I have some Ballistol. Not bad stuff... a little oily to the touch. I haven't used it on modern firearms, but use it for cleaning black powder weapons. It seems to work just fine on those. Black powder fouling is probably nastier stuff than modern smokeless powder fouling... so, it should work just fine.
    Team Glenfield 25 # 1
    Team .45-70 # 960
    Team 60 # ----
    Team Old Phart # 169

Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you.- Ben Franklin
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
    Obama... do NOT go to Arizona, they require proof of citizenship.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Here are the twins almost. So should I post them in the rimfire "post them if you got them" section? The older & darker model 20 with the origional glenfield scope is what my husband chose. He said I could have the newer model 25.

http://s998.photobucket.com/albums/a...relsSet056.jpg

Platinum Poster
    Member #

Nice Rifles.
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

You guys do know that plain unscented Chapstick is pretty much straight Carnuba Wax, right?

Same for Carmex...great for skate wheels, too

Cheap wax to do a whole stock
    A firearm should be a tool in the hands of a deadly weapon, not a deadly weapon in the hands of a tool.
    Team Levermatic #001 http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/gr...evermatic.html

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links