+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 62A?

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Rossi 62A?

I have a half-made deal on a Rossi 22LR. I believe the model is 62-A. It is a slide action (pump?). The barrel is octagon with iron sights and not particularly well polished, but has no rust. The bluing on the receiver seems fine, but not Browning quality (what is?).
    There's no manual safety, and I don't have the serial #, as I saw it briefly on Saturday, and made a deal over the phone yesterday. $225.00 plus tax (7%).
    Also 10% discount on any .22LR ammo bought at the same time. I did a search but can't seem to find much info on it. Can anybody give me any more info on this rifle?

Luis
    Speak softly, but ride like hell!"

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

Re: Rossi 62A?

Pretty sure a Winchester design that was dropped years ago.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by swany
    Pretty sure a Winchester design that was dropped years ago.
    That is correct! I still have an original Winchester Model 62A, tube fed, hammer pump that I bought when I was 14 years old (1954). I washed the windows in the hardware store every Saturday for over a year to pay for it. (About $40) I see them now at gunshows, and if they in are in as good as shape as mine, they are going for over $500.00. There is no safety on mine. It uses the half-cock position of the hammer just like the older Marlin levers and the old single shot rifles/shotguns. Mine handles short, long, and long rifle ammo and was a super little squirrel and rabbit gun. But I had good eye sight then!

I have no idea how many rounds my Model 62A has fired over the last 56 years, but I can tell you it will eat any 22 ammo you feed it; and I can not recall ever having a FTF in that rifle.

CJ
    USN RET Team 35 member #33

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Modern clone of the old Winchester 62A.Good strong rimfire action,also sold in 22WMR by Henry and Taurus,maybe others.I say $225 ain't bad for one in good clean condition.An original Winchester in excellent condition will bring $1,000.00 or more.They are difficult to scope.

Sidewinder
    Member #

I've had several Rossi Model 62 pump rifles over the years, got good service from each of them. I have the stainless steel version now that I carry canoeing with me occasionally.

I bought one for my nephew for Christmas when he was 12 years old, this was around 1995, his mother was "Hard Over" against guns, she said I could buy him a .22 rifle, but it must be kept at my house until he turned 18. We shot that rifle together all through his teen years, putting thousands of rounds through it. He would come down and spend the weekend with us about once a month, we shot on my property, killing many aluminum cans, and training him in rifle marksmanship.

Several days after he turned 18, he drove down to see us, and asked if he could pick up his rifle. I gave him the rifle, a nice rifle case and a brick of .22 ammo. He still has that rifle and shoots it about once a month at an indoor range near his house, he is now mairried, has a good job and owns his own home at age 27.

I also have the original Winchester version, a 1949 vintage Model 62A. I can tell the Winchester is more accurate, but the Rossi is the one I pick if rough use is anticipated...

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Well, thanks for the info. I made a committment to buy, contingent on it shooting, next Saturday, so hopefully he'll keep his word and not sell it before then.

Will report on how it goes.

thanks all,

Luis

Sidewinder
    Member #

I have one and really like it...finish is actually pretty good but was rough on the interior..wood sucks but she feeds S, Long, and LR...the modern Taurus only feeds LR and has a god-awful safety on it...I'd say scoop it up, there pretty nice guns + if it's not a safety model...I couldn't imagine from this point forward it will ever be made WITHOUT a safety again and that just plain stinks!!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

My boss / friend has one of these he bought for $89 NIB many years ago. He will NOT sell it. He lets me bust clay birds at 70 yards open sights with it, then I break the pieces. Off hand. I have shot it many times and covet the darned thing. (And I have more .22's already than I can count in my head!)~Andrew

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Well, got it a little bit earlier than expected. To add to the above, the barrel is 23.5", the wood is good,if not showy, and it feeds, fires and ejects fine. Serial # is G318XXX, if anybody can tell me year of manufacture.

The death of my father-in-law requires my flying into Tampa tonight, until Sunday night, and I have a graduation to attend next week-end, so I don't know when I'll have a chance to go to the range, but I'll report when I do.

I bought this off the same gun shop where I got my 1958 vintage Mountie, and I've told the guy I'm a sucker for any old .22's. Rifles, pistols or revolvers. I missed out on a Colt .22 revolver a while back, and not letting that happen again!

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Oh, yeah, sorry... Does anybody know where I can get or download a manual for this rifle? Or at least dis-assembly instructions? I'm sure I can figure it out, but it never hurts to have information.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links