+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

clip fed or tube fed for a 22 mag?

I would like some input on this. I'm gonna order a Marlin 22 mag tomorrow but I can't quite decide if I want to get the 983 tube fed with walnut or the 982VS clip fed with stainless steel target barrel that requires a scope. If I get the 983 tube fed, I would be putting a scope on it, so either way I will be having a scope, but I would like to read some feedback on the clip fed vs tube fed pros & cons.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Team 22 Magnum ! #008

Sidewinder
    Member #

Re: clip fed or tube fed for a 22 mag?

I own both and the main difference is whether or not it will be a walking around gun or not.

The clip magazine always feels like it is in the way when using that one to walk around with as the clip sticks out right in the balance point.

The balance point of the tube feed is clear of any obstruction and so the gun is easier to carry. For me anyway.

I know some folks make a fuss about loading or unloading clips vs tubes but that isn't an issue for me.

If you're just going to punch paper mostly, it don't matter. As for shooting, either will make you smile a lot.

Enjoy the new shooter.
    hen I see a beautiful animal walking free and easy in the clean fresh air of the wilderness, I can only think of one thing. Dinner!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Appreciate that, JP,...The 982VS comes with a 4 shot clip along with the 7 shot clip and the 4 shot looks like it extends below the stock just a little bit, so that would work out good. The 7 shot does look like it would really get in the way in carrying the rifle around a lot.

I was wondering about the dependability of the clips....service life, ruggedness, smoothness of operation, etc.

Yea, I would mostly be just plinking and the occasional varmint that needs to be dispatched.
    Team 22 Magnum ! #008

Tinhorn
    Member #

i have a 782 22mag the clip is a pain if you use the 4 shot insted of the 7 shot when you carry it across your forarm the clip release rests on your forarm and lets the clip fall out or wont feed next shot go for the tube fed i wish i had for hunting its a pain target shooting doesent matter
    just my 2 cents
    b44mag

Sidewinder
    Member #

My clipfeed is an old 922 that I bought used because it was cheap but I had lots of problems to sort out regarding feeding. It shoots fine now.

Based on my very incomplete knowledge, the principle problem with clips is with the lips of the magazine. They get dropped and knocked around and at some point stop feeding right. But... that can usually be fixed with careful use of a needle nosed plier.

The biggest problem, I think, is just losing them altogether. They fall out of pockets reaching for your keys, get laid down on bumpers and the hood of the truck and not picked back up before you drive off, fall off of tables at the range, etc. And you will need more than the one or two that come with the gun. I own 4.

I never lost a tube magazine even once. lol

When you go to the store to get one, open the bolt and look at the feed system inside a tube feed and then look at the lips of a clip magazine. They look very similar.

Well thats all I know so you're on your own from now on.
    hen I see a beautiful animal walking free and easy in the clean fresh air of the wilderness, I can only think of one thing. Dinner!

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

I also have tube and clip, and I like the tube better. I end up carrying 3 clips for the clip fed rifle, where I can just load up the tube and be done.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Deadeye
    Member #

I've used both alot and I agree the tube mag is much easier to carry/handle in the bush. The disadvantage is you have to stop to reload which is inconvenient in the bush especially in low light and in tight quarters.

Clip feeds tend to snag in the bush and I have lost one by bumping it against the pack, never to be found again. Having extra clips makes reloading alot easier and you can do it "on the fly" so if the shooting is good you dont have shootis interruptus like you do with tube mags.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Thanks for the feedback so far, I appreciate everyone's ideas and reasons.

To be honest, I had originally been drawn to the tube fed style for what seemed to be a more functional way to handle the ammo. The clip style, with it hanging out, it's tendency to getting hung up or caught on clothing & such, appeared to be a negative for me.

But...that stainless target barrel sure looks cool! I was just having a hard time convincing myself to go against my instincts concerning the clip style. I think that I will do what I have learned over the years and not go against my instincts. I will get the 983 tube with walnut and add a decent little scope.

Oh...my other concern was that the 982VS did not have any open sights and I would feel more comfortable with one that started with open sights. Even though I would be putting a scope on it, I would like having some open sights to fall back on if the scope got accidentally broken and I couldn't immediately replace it. Yea, the odds on that happening would probably be low...I'm very careful with my stuff...but you never can tell.

I'm just a very pragmatic and functional kind of guy and I feel...for me...that the tube type fills that need.

Steve
    Team 22 Magnum ! #008

gp
    Tenderfoot
    Member #

Check out the Spee-D-Loader. I love mine for use with my Model 60.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0012788222343a.shtml

Cowpoke
    Member #

I find the tube fed to be more reliable.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links