+ Reply to Thread

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Anyone remove the barrel from the action, on a Marlin rimfire?

I bought a Marlin heavy barrel, with the intention of removing the old barrel from my 25N and replacing it with the heavy barrel from the Marlin Squirrel rifle.

I drifted the pin out, that seemed to hold the barrel in place, removed the magazine screw that possibly was binding on the bottom of the barrel, froze the barrel and heated the action.

Nothing is budging the barrel. I dropped an aluminum tube down through the bolt channel so I could reach the breach, with a big, flat-faced drift chisel. Nothing.

Any ideas? I've already dusted off a bunch of swear words that haven't been used in a long time, so I could try cursing it off and only managed to kill my girlfriend's plant and melt the snow around my house for a distance of 20 feet.
    Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Gunfighter
    Member #

Re: Anyone remove the barrel from the action, on a Marlin rimfire?

I haven't done it, but I understand that it is a press fit and the the pin is additional safety. According to Marlin parts you have to send it (take it if you live in CT) to the factory. Solutions? heat but be very careful not to get hot enough to screw up the heat treating, maybe cold, or maybe a gunsmith.
    Experience is the key to making good decisions.
    The best experience comes from making bad decisions.

Gunfighter
    Member #

I just saw this over on Rimfire Central http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=301951&page=2

This thread is about re barrel of an old bolt action, sounds similar. Good luck.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Interesting read, on Rimfire Central. I still don't know why all the barrel instructions say to modify the action, rather than the new barrel, to make a fit. The action is the expensive/non-replaceable part. Taking 0.0001 off the outside of the barrel seems like the way to go, in getting one to fit the other. Especially when dealing with pressures as low as what a .22 makes.

The barrel instructions for my 10/22 22" match barrel were the same. "Sand the inside of the action, not the outside of the barrel." Right.
    Costco should sell bullets in those bins, like walnuts. Or you could buy two five gallon buckets of bullets, shrink-wrapped together.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    Ernest Hemingway

Gunfighter
    Member #

If you notice, his old barrel had a bunch of small flutes, which, I believe would deform as you pressed it into the action. The new barrel didn't have these so there was no give and so something has to be made larger. In the old days cars had King Pins in the front suspension, replacing the King Pin required fitting by carrfully sanding the bronze bushing in the member that the pin when into. One trick was to stick the the King Pin in the freezer to shrink it, you could always try that with your barrel - if you have a freezer that is long enough.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

That's the plan for the 10/22 barrel but the Marlin barrel is still stuck on there, good and tight.

I froze the Marlin barrel, with liquid air, until it was coated in ice, then heated the action, around the barrel, but it is still firmly one unit. No movement at all. I'll take it to work and see if the owner has any ideas. He's a hunter, with a machine shop. What more could a guy ask for? I am coveting the arbor press. I just need a way to keep the action from moving, while I crank on the breach.

Ernest Hemingway

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

If the old barrel is scrap, saw it off, chuck it in a lathe, and bore the shank out. I have removed Marlin barrels; they either fall out or won't come out but for the Hand of God.~Andrew

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

So prayer might help?

Ernest Hemingway

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Prayer never hurts.

But a boring bar in a lathe is a sure thing. What would you do with the cast off barrel anyhow?? I have a bail of them under my work bench. They are of less value than you think!~Andrew

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I never thought of that. I've been thinking of taking a course in metal engraving and the remains of the old barrel would be a good medium on which to practice. I'd like to learn to do a small amount of curlicues and doohickeys (if my technical jargon is too much for y'all, I'll tone it down). I hate outdoor scenes. Maybe it would be funny to engrave a mighty elk on a single-shot .22

Wish I could find the photo of that great-gramma, that took down a grizzly, with one shot from her single-shot, .22 short. It was a full page photo in American Rifleman. *TINY* old lady, in front of the monster skin of the bear she plinked.

Ernest Hemingway

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links