+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #

Re: Update on .22 LR ammo availability

Quote Originally Posted by bigjeepman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohon
    Plenty of 22 LR ammo here at Wal-Mart for $9.00/ 550 bulk
    Heck my local WalMart is charging $16 for a bulk pack of those.
    Ours is charging $18.00!

bjm
    Hey Hal, looks like there's some money to be made here!

Roe
    http://starspangledbannerchallenge.com/

"I never gave anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."
    Harry S. Truman

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

Mike you only need to go to Hankinsons.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Halwg
    Plenty of 22 LR ammo here at Wal-Mart for $9.00/ 550 bulk.
    Wow! I have not seen that price for some time.

I did not think that a Walmart in WV (?) would be that much cheaper than in other states.

I have not seen a price of $8.97 for years. The last bulk price before the latest one was $13.47 or so for us before the LAST increase @ Walmart.

Five (?) or so years ago, Federal American Eagle 22LR was almost $9.00 and that was for 400 rounds buying in bulk (Ten boxes.) from a local store. 40 Cartridges, copper plated, high velocity 22LR, 38Grain, AE 22 - I have only 1 small red box of it left here.

I do like bulk Federal and Federal American Eagle 22LR ammunition.

You can't find 22LR all of the time around here in Western Montana in the stores including Walmart but I just called them and was astounded. I guess it depends on their shipping date and what is on the shelves. The time of day too - restocking. I did not ask how many boxes they had in x, y or z brands.

My report is as follows:

The Super Walmart on Reserve Street (Missoula.) has...

Federal 550 rounds for $15.47.

Remington 550 rounds for $15.47.

Winchester Xpert 500 rounds for $14.47.

Winchester 333 rounds for $9.97. I NEVER heard of that quantity bulk size before! My husband said that he did though... grin.

(I did not ask about those 'tiny boxes of ammunition'.)

For Western Montana folks, the telephone number is 406- 829-8489 if you want to call and see what is IN stock before you drive over there. Sometimes the 'manager' or clerk will hold some in stock for you IF you ask them and/or ORDER it for you, put your name on a list and when it comes in - call you so that you can pick it up.

I support and buy from my LOCAL gun store (M.O. & S.) but I do buy 22LR at Walmart too. If we see a good price on some other ammunition, we will buy it there plus buy some in bulk from our favorite local gun store.

We did stock up in 22LR within the Last Year of Bush2's term and some when Obama got elected. UGH to both men! I was for Ron Paul back in 1988 and recently too! We always 'stock up' - nothing new there. We buy factory ammunition in all calibers and my husband 'reloads' when he has time. I shoot 22LR the most now due to arthritis in my hands. I wanted to be sure that I had enough 22LR ammunition especially since we consolidated so many calibers and sold a bunch of firearms. Add in the 'shortages' that we anticipated and inflation... I am glad that we did. The U.S. dollar will have the value of a roll of toilet paper soon if not less NOW. I buy in bulk anyway. ; . )

My husband stops at Walmart sometimes after he leaves the office late (24/7 schedule) and most of the time, especially in the LAST year, Walmart hardly ever had ANY ammunition in stock including 22LR. BARE, bare shelves, NEKKID aka naked shelves - only a few boxes of ammunition. Recently he said that there was NOT too much of rifle or shotgun ammunition in (Same as it has been for the last year.) and only a tiny bit of pistol ammunition. That was about 2 weeks ago or so. The time of day or night makes a BIG difference too but when it comes to pistol ammunition and 22LR it has been pathetic! NONE. OUT and as I usually got told over the telephone, "I can tell you what I have in stock, very little, versus all of the items that are NOT in stock. Sorry."

Our LOCAL gun store (M.O. & S.) has supplied us well with most of our centerfire ammunition over the last year or so too. If they don't have it in stock, they will order it for us or buy some IN BULK from our ammunition supplier person at gun shows too. Between that and my husband reloading... we have been fine when it comes to 'our stock'.

Catherine

Catherine

Contributing Member
    Member #

PS:

My husband said that a couple of months ago, Walmart was charging $18. to $21. something for 22LR bulk boxes in ANY brand. IF you could even FIND it. Other stores are and were charging $20. and UP for 22LR bulk boxes.

A local Montana ammunition company was trying to keep up with their 22LR supplies to a few local stores. They make other caliber ammunition too.

Catherine

Catherine

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Catherine: Whereabouts in MT are you folks located? Missoula? I'm in Big Horn county and there is little for ammo; Here or in Billings.~Andrew

Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    Catherine: Whereabouts in MT are you folks located? Missoula? I'm in Big Horn county and there is little for ammo; Here or in Billings.~Andrew
    Hello,

The Missoula area for now. I am retired and my husband is still working. So for now, we live in the Missoula area due to his job. He was born and raised in MT. I am the transplant widow lady now remarried to him.

Catherine

Catherine

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Went to WW yesterday, and they had plenty of 50 round and 100 round boxes, but no bricks to speak of. ( I even found a few boxes of the new Win. power max 30-30 stuff for 17.00. ) but my local gun pusher has plenty of bricks, and the 333 round winchester boxes for 10.00.
    The world is much better with a pair of calipers.
    Team 30-30 member #258

DAD
    Wrangler
    Member #

In my area rem. bulk, some win wild cats, fed 550, the rest is sold by the box.

Sidewinder
    Member #

In the KC Area....Wally store to Wally store it's a crap shoot as to whether it's in stock...but if you hit a couple you can get set up. I've been re-stocking my stores for about a month and a 1/2. The local Cabela's has ammo but it's cheak Winchester Bricks are $21.00....Wally has bulk Federal for $15.47....it's not rocket science why I stock up on rimfire ammo at Wally.

I'm pretty well off now...

One day, I got to Wally #4 and found my credit card had "quit working"....changed cards, got the ammo and by the time I was walking out I got a call...."Sir, can you tell us where your last three purchases have been"....I guess my rimfire behavior kicked off the fraud bells!!

Bob
    "My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be"

Wrangler
    Member #

There is plenty of 22 here. quite a bit of variety as well. ALong those lines, Im seeing lots of other calibers on the shelves. Pistol, rifle, rimfire. It is available. Not all at once, or at any given time, but it is getting a lot better.

milinnc

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links