+ Reply to Thread

Sidewinder
    Member #

Glenfield Model 60 - "Squirrel" Gun

Stopped in at a pawn shop today in my quest to add a budget-friendly Model 60 to my Marlin family. Shop had 2 SS models marked at $180 apiece, which I found a bit high. Nearby were two Glenfield Model 60's marked for $90 apiece, which got me intrigued.

After checking them over, I decided on the one that has the squirrels and oak branches carved into the stock. Have read about those before on this site, but this is the first one I've ever run across.

Serial # starts 25XXXXX, so I figure its a 1975 model. The gun showed some "character" but nothing too bad, bore and action seem in good shape and it has a bright silver trigger. Could only talk the guy down to $80 cash out the door, but it seemed like a decent price and the little rascal followed me home.

I'm happy as a clam, and think this will be a good gun for general plinking, as well as taking on scouting/hiking/fishing trips where a little wear and tear is to be expected.

Here's my question for those of you with the older Model 60's - what's your preferred plinking ammo? I'd like to narrow the field a bit before trying out the dozens of brands available. I generally shoot Velocitors through my 39, but I'm thinking they will be a little on the hot side for this gun (and expensive). Your thoughts appreciated.
    Team 30-30 #721

1980 Glenfield 30GT
    1980 Glenfield 60
    1961 39-A Mountie
    1957 Golden 39-A

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Re: Glenfield Model 60 - "Squirrel" Gun

My wife got a 1976 for $98. She bought it for the cravings.

I tired a bunch of different ammo. CCI Stingers seem to do the best.

You want to keep your FPS above 1400 for good cycling.

I also would suggest ordering a few recoil springs from Marlin, they are $4 each.

Unless your used to putting them back together with needle nose pliers. They bend easy.

BTW the gal at Marlin said that stock was only offered a few years, and she dont hear of many of them.

Company
    Always on the run, Destiny is the rising sun
    I was born six gun in my hand
    Behind a gun, I'll make my final stand

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

my first rifle, and I still have mine. same stock as yours, and I just picked up a 30A to go with it. great gun to teach kids how to shoot as well. I shoot almost any LR out of it with little problems, unless the mag tube gets dirty. Mine dont like a dirty tube, so I make sure to clean it a couple times a year and not to put ammo I dropped or kept loose in my pocket in her. She will be what I teach my grandkids with in 20 years.
    "If life was easy everyone would want one!" William Beierle III

Sidewinder
    Member #

Appreciate the insights gentlemen. Took the action apart last night and blasted it with cleaner. Seems like a pretty easy gun to work on. Trigger is a bit on the heavy side, seems a little gritty. I'm hoping some additional cleaning and lots of rounds downrange will loosen that up.

Can't wait to get it out to the range and see how she does.
    Team 30-30 #721

1980 Glenfield 30GT
    1980 Glenfield 60
    1961 39-A Mountie
    1957 Golden 39-A

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

The trigger is usually the weakest link on Marlins...I'm hoping the new Pro-Fire will trickle down to the rest of the rifles eventually.

The best thing to do is read this thread on the triggers...good for 60/795/995/etc...read it ALL THE WAY to the end...
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=143780
    I highly suggest the polishing of the trigger/sear mating areas first & then doing a Drill/Tap to add a 6/32" setscrew if the polish isn't quite enough. Great pics in that thread.
    A firearm should be a tool in the hands of a deadly weapon, not a deadly weapon in the hands of a tool.
    Team Levermatic #001 http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/gr...evermatic.html

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links